Quantcast

Easton Havoc 35

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
True but trivial, depends on headtube lengths, fork model. and who want a mile of flexier stanchion and high BB, when an angle set would do the same.
Me. 40mm stanchions don't really flex.
I'm in the same boat as worship_mud and found it a great way to slacken my bike out (had it at 62* in the alps) without making the BB excessively low - I found the bike faster through rutted / rough / rooty sections with the BB at 13.75 vs. 13.50, and I know my frame isn't the only one that is already quite low out of the box. Using an angleset / angled cups alone to achieve the same thing would have left the bike too low and slower overall (I'm running -1* instead of -2*). Dropped the bar rise to compensate for the height and couldn't be happier.

There's definitely more than one way to skin the head angle cat and it's worth considering all the options and how they affect your own setup.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Me. 40mm stanchions don't really flex.
I'm in the same boat as worship_mud and found it a great way to slacken my bike out (had it at 62* in the alps) without making the BB excessively low - I found the bike faster through rutted / rough / rooty sections with the BB at 13.75 vs. 13.50, and I know my frame isn't the only one that is already quite low out of the box. Using an angleset / angled cups alone to achieve the same thing would have left the bike too low and slower overall (I'm running -1* instead of -2*). Dropped the bar rise to compensate for the height and couldn't be happier.

There's definitely more than one way to skin the head angle cat and it's worth considering all the options and how they affect your own setup.
Yeah but you're curing a poorly designed BB height for you. Not the ideal way to skin a cat. And that was my point. Wasn't actually asking who?:thumb: Just metaphorically.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah but you're curing a poorly designed BB height for you. Not the ideal way to skin a cat. And that was my point. Wasn't actually asking who?:thumb: Just metaphorically.
Or a poorly designed bb height or nothing really purly designed considering where Udi rode it. If it's easily adjustable why is that a problem?

pdxmonkeyboy

Chimp
Oct 10, 2009
I can't wait till these hit the shelves! Finally a carbon bar that I won't worry about snapping. It's a win win...of coarse all the pink bike thread on the subject is a bunch of people pissing and moaning.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I remember cutting bars down stupid narrow and being the coolest kid out there... fit between the trees racing XC. I was running sub 17" carbon bars, shaving grams, and shaving legs...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's not a 'poorly designed' BB height, it's just a matter of setting a bike up to suit yourself. Plenty of other guys are running -2* cups directly, but there's no disadvantage to using fork height to get the BB height and HA where you want them to be.

Just pointing out that everything you claimed as an 'issue' aren't actually issues at all. If you look at most WC bikes (most of which have 40s now) you'll notice that a lot are running the fork dropped quite low in the crowns. I guess all the bikes on the world cup circuit are poorly designed also. :)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's not a 'poorly designed' BB height, it's just a matter of setting a bike up to suit yourself. Plenty of other guys are running -2* cups directly, but there's no disadvantage to using fork height to get the BB height and HA where you want them to be.

Just pointing out that everything you claimed as an 'issue' aren't actually issues at all. If you look at most WC bikes (most of which have 40s now) you'll notice that a lot are running the fork dropped quite low in the crowns. I guess all the bikes on the world cup circuit are poorly designed also. :)
Sure having an inch of stanchion room for adjustment is handy to tailor head angle etc. But ideally you'd have a bike designed with the right BB height and head angle at about 8.5" of bare stanchion. Picking at hairs here, take the win dude, I don't care, this is ridiculous hair splitting, you owned me dude.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The thing is the 'right' head angle and BB height is a different number for different tracks (and different people for that matter), there's no perfect number set in stone like you seem to imply. You're not going to have the same head angle at Champery as you are at PMB.

Using the adjustment range in the fork just makes it very easy to get the setup roughly correct for very different tracks (one allen key). I know it's picking at hairs but I think it's a cool and useful idea with no real negatives provided you correct your bar height if required.