Quantcast

Easton Havoc 35

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
can i ask why ? just another new standard in industry with too many ones !
current bars and stems are plenty stiff (imho) and the weights are nothing ground breaking (other than the direct mount maybe).if this bigger diameter resulted in much lighter bars than i see the logic, but when its just the same than whats the point ?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
can i ask why ? just another new standard in industry with too many ones !
current bars and stems are plenty stiff (imho) and the weights are nothing ground breaking (other than the direct mount maybe).if this bigger diameter resulted in much lighter bars than i see the logic, but when its just the same than whats the point ?
Well, they were able to add width, and make them lighter than the 31.8 versions.

Lighter, stiffer, stronger. DUH!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I want to meet people that ride bars wider than 750. One of the site (Dirt Maybe?) interviewed a bunch of pros in a video and measured their bars and none of the top guys were riding anything wider than 750. Do amatuers know something the pro's don't?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
From what I've heard there is a strong push at Taiwan to go to the 35mm standard so I doubt it will be easton only for long.

samIam

Chimp
Jun 23, 2011
I am in, of all the new standards to come out recently thiis makes the most sense. i'll cut them down from 800 though. I am sure in a year or so you'll see more stems and bars offered in the size too.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Not bad; Im just a little fed up with every DM stem having 'negative rise' - not everyone wants or needs or can even use a completely slammed front end. Most people I see running slammed stems still run some kind of rise in their bars, so WTH! I can get a flat bar or one with 3" of rise so leave the stem rise alone. [ Except in this case you have only slammed stem and bars to choose from.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I want to meet people that ride bars wider than 750. One of the site (Dirt Maybe?) interviewed a bunch of pros in a video and measured their bars and none of the top guys were riding anything wider than 750. Do amatuers know something the pro's don't?
I run 750 on my trail bikes, and 780 on my DH. I started at 800 and cut them down. If you are a big guy with long arms, then it feels really good. Even my wife is running 750 on her AM bike

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Love it when people use the "well the pros run..." arguement. Pros are not normal people. Comparing them to schmoes like us is like comparing a lamborghini to a VW. They're stupid fit, stronger than bears and not at all right in the head.

Anyways, not sure this standard is really needed. It reeks of another "what other marginal improvement can we put out there to sell more junk?" The industry is really good at those.

Having stiffness issues with your bar? Buy Renthals. Bar too narrow? I dunno about that one. I am 6'3 and a 750 feels mighty wide ot me, but everybody is different and I know there are some seriously sasquatch type people on here. But I mean, at what point do you end up with bars so wide your face is resting on your stem?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
a slammed stem / bar makes only sense when you lower your stanchions in the crowns to achieve a slacker headangle. buckoW mentioned that somewhere on here (can't find the post, sorry), i tried and like it.
you actually raise your fork to slacken the HA out and then use a lower bar and/or stem to correct the ride height.
don't know if that makes any sense to anyone... :D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You can't say anything "makes sense" in terms of bar heights, angles, and so on. Whatever works for a rider works for a rider, no matter what stupid standards they are supposed to adhere to.

Case in point, Fabian Barel....

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
As already mentioned... you can always cut is down. If it is really 220g for 800mm bar, then you'd be close to 200g mark at 750mm :) And you still have a stiffer and stronger bar then 31,8mm :)
The only downside is lack of compatible computers and lights :D

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not bad; Im just a little fed up with every DM stem having 'negative rise' - not everyone wants or needs or can even use a completely slammed front end. Most people I see running slammed stems still run some kind of rise in their bars, so WTH! I can get a flat bar or one with 3" of rise so leave the stem rise alone. [ Except in this case you have only slammed stem and bars to choose from.
Yeah agreed. Mozartt make riser plates for below the stem. PO1NT have some good height DMs. High rise bar options would be ideal but.

a slammed stem / bar makes only sense when you lower your stanchions in the crowns to achieve a slacker headangle. buckoW mentioned that somewhere on here (can't find the post, sorry), i tried and like it.
you actually raise your fork to slacken the HA out and then use a lower bar and/or stem to correct the ride height.
don't know if that makes any sense to anyone... :D
True but trivial, depends on headtube lengths, fork model. and who want a mile of flexier stanchion and high BB, when an angle set would do the same.

My first thoughts are NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But maybe it will be better in the form of lighter bars and stem. Flex can be built in by tapering bar closer to stem or before a bend.
Bottom line is probably Easton want to save on tooling and raw pipe if they have a 35mm MX bar range.
Will make carbon bars more reliable.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It wasn't that long ago that we moved to 31.8, and lots of people happily running that stuff now had the same negative comments at the time. We'll see if 35 takes off but it makes sense to me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I do. Why? For starters, I have a 6'5" armspan. Secondly, I have a pretty serious shoulder injury that for whatever reason is more comfortable with wider bars. Wider = less shoulder pain = happier HAB.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Love it when people use the "well the pros run..." arguement. Pros are not normal people. Comparing them to schmoes like us is like comparing a lamborghini to a VW. They're stupid fit, stronger than bears and not at all right in the head.

Anyways, not sure this standard is really needed. It reeks of another "what other marginal improvement can we put out there to sell more junk?" The industry is really good at those.

Having stiffness issues with your bar? Buy Renthals. Bar too narrow? I dunno about that one. I am 6'3 and a 750 feels mighty wide ot me, but everybody is different and I know there are some seriously sasquatch type people on here. But I mean, at what point do you end up with bars so wide your face is resting on your stem?
A friend of mine has been playing a lot of stem designs and if you want a light stem you really need a 35mm standard. It's a marginal improvement but at this point all gear improvements will be. You will see a big change only after a series of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's a very nerdy part of my brain that suspects this really only has something to do with tubing being easier to draw at larger diameters and achieving less variation in wall thickness. or something like that.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

agreed X 10....renthal bar and stem combo is F'ing bonkers...i've never felt anything like that.....i nose cased and crashed so hard recently that i pushed one side of my boxxer upper crown about 3/4ths of an inch farther down than the other side, yet my bar remained straight and my stem didn't budge....that's unheard of....i've smoked bars and twisted up stems a bunch in the past....renthal is untouchable....it's idiotic to run anything else

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
agreed X 10....renthal bar and stem combo is F'ing bonkers...i've never felt anything like that.....i nose cased and crashed so hard recently that i pushed one side of my boxxer upper crown about 3/4ths of an inch farther down than the other side, yet my bar remained straight and my stem didn't budge....that's unheard of....i've smoked bars and twisted up stems a bunch in the past....renthal is untouchable....it's idiotic to run anything else
I'm going to counterpoint you Ian. Mostly cause I agree with your post. I just got myself a set of Fatbars recently, and they're mega stiff. They just feel bombproof.

Except, I just can't seem to dial in the bend..... I have 31.8 Havocs on my trail bike, and couldn't be happier. Takes me minutes to dial in the roll if I make a change. The Renthal bars took me a while, and after the first ride I still wasn't happy. Stiff? No doubt. But going from bike-to-bike is going to bug me. I'm not the fastest or hardest rider out there, and for those reasons I guess I'm irritated more by the little things.

When the first news of this Easton bar standard came out, I bugged my rep. fairly consistently when they were going to be available. I just wanted a wider bar for my big bike, with the same Easton bend. He told me it was going to be a while, so I went with the Renthals. (My Integra stem is still in the mail.) Easton was keeping everyone in the dark on this, so surprise. Guess my Renthal stuff's going in the classifieds. :(

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I don't like the backsweep on Renthal bars either. 7 degrees is too little.
I bought a Renthal bar thinking it had the regular 9 degree sweep as was said on ChainReactionCycles, should have checked the manufacturer site first.
I'm used to the small sweep now and I am going to keep the bar, but I would still prefer more sweep. I find it weird that many people seem to really like the Renthal's sweep, many reviews have stated that the sweep feels very good and was natural feeling straight from the beginning.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I run the 800 Gravity Lite Wide on my 303. It keeps my shoulders from imploding after a full day of riding. But I also have pretty wide shoulders, and its hard to bring my arms in around my moobs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
People also forget prefered bar width changes with frames/stem length. To an extent of course.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The best part about this is the pinchbolt stem actually - way less problems with crushing thin-wall, large diameter tubes (especially carbon) compared to a standard vice-clamp stem. I'm usually the first one to sigh when a new standard is released, but this one doesn't force you to change anything at all except for the bar/stem, and it seems to be legitimately lighter/stronger/stiffer. I'd buy one.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I'm going to counterpoint you Ian. Mostly cause I agree with your post. I just got myself a set of Fatbars recently, and they're mega stiff. They just feel bombproof.

Except, I just can't seem to dial in the bend(
strange you say that because it's one of my favorite parts of that bar....my hands just feel comfortable on them moreso than other offerings in terms up up and backsweep....i like the idea behind the 35mm interface, but i just hope they increase they offerings in height.....renthal offers 4 heights...pretty sick

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Doesn't Deda already have 35mm? It's not like Easton just sprung this out of the blue. And yeah, I know that Deda is roadie stuff, but 31.8 started there too.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Anyone back up that "Taiwan is pushing it" statement?

35mm does seem to make more sense. Who pulled the diameter 31.8mm out of the bag anyway? Seems incredibly specific to have just been kicked out to the market.

As for bar widths the pro thing with smaller bars really hit me for being a shorter guy and running wide bars. I really really tried to run cut down bars but I just never got comfortable. I hypothesize it's because a) I'm not as strong as they are. b) Wide shoulders + tendency to run small sized frames c)Looks more badass.

OT: What's with the Renthal hype? I know there are softer/harder bars out there (ran soft syncros' and solid racefaces) but bar geometry is pretty standard these days and I don't see anything unique about the Renthal's. I guess that metallic beige is a pretty solid looking color though, probably be less stiff in normal black and even softer in white.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
35mm does seem to make more sense. Who pulled the diameter 31.8mm out of the bag anyway? Seems incredibly specific to have just been kicked out to the market.
Its 1 1/4 inches, it just always gets quoted in milimeters.