Quantcast

East Resorts

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

Posted on here about east coast Dh options early in the year - and from all the information gathered compiled a great map of places for me and my riding buddies to go.

Now specifically, I am doing a mini trip with my fiancee in early June, and she is not a rider at all. She agrees to go to a resort so I can get a day or two of riding in (more like morning/early afternoon) and then we will do tourist stuff/golf/hang out/etc. I will probably get her a spa day when I am biking.

So I know this means the major resorts - ones that offer all the amenities. Can anyone give impressions of specifically the following resorts? Mostly the biking at the resorts - and if you have thoughts on the other amenities? Or if I missed a place that falls into the above requirements?

We are from southern Ontario - so everything mentioned is within a 8-9 hr drive for us.

Seven Springs
Killington
Mt Snow
Sugarbush
Mountain Creek (Diablo - rode years previous)

Plattekill (doesn't seem to offer much in the area other than a few golf courses and smaller hotels/motels - nothing to fall into the 'resort' category. This wil probably be a boys weekend of DH on a different date).
Bromont

Thanks

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Too bad it's early June as Whiteface/Lake Placid has all the off mountain amenities you are looking for. However, we do not open until 6-17.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Mont Sainte Anne has everything you need, choice of a nice hotel or even condos at the bottom of the hill, Restaurant and all. Quebec city is also only a short drive away.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Diablo might be the best bet for what you're looking to do. Aside from the bike park, you have some of the best golf courses in NJ and a hotel/spa literally within half a mile of the mountain.

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I second Mont St Anne or Bromont. Never been to the other places but theirs nothing like the WC track at St Anne.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there's nothing on-mountain at plattekill, but there are a ton of resorts about 20 miles south and east. It's a big area for new-yawkaz who want to get away from city life, it looks like. ie http://copperhood.com/

I don't really know anything about them, but I used to drive by them all the time on my way to my 5 star tent in the 5 star gravel parking lot.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id leave Seven Springs off that list since its so far away from everything else on your list and has a limited amount of trails

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Hey wait a second, 4 miles from the base of Plattekill is the winner of the 2009 & 2010 Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards for Best Service and Best Hidden Gem and National Geographic Traveler’s top 100 Hotels in North America: The Roxbury Hotel.

and Hanah country resort 10 miles away.
Now that Ulster County has been over run by metrosexuals escaping the city (especially post 9/11), Roxbury is next on the list to be the new "hot spot" written up in the NY Times, I guarantee it!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hi,

Posted on here about east coast Dh options early in the year - and from all the information gathered compiled a great map of places for me and my riding buddies to go.

Now specifically, I am doing a mini trip with my fiancee in early June, and she is not a rider at all. She agrees to go to a resort so I can get a day or two of riding in (more like morning/early afternoon) and then we will do tourist stuff/golf/hang out/etc. I will probably get her a spa day when I am biking.

So I know this means the major resorts - ones that offer all the amenities. Can anyone give impressions of specifically the following resorts? Mostly the biking at the resorts - and if you have thoughts on the other amenities? Or if I missed a place that falls into the above requirements?

We are from southern Ontario - so everything mentioned is within a 8-9 hr drive for us.

Seven Springs
Killington
Mt Snow
Sugarbush
Mountain Creek (Diablo - rode years previous)

Plattekill (doesn't seem to offer much in the area other than a few golf courses and smaller hotels/motels - nothing to fall into the 'resort' category. This wil probably be a boys weekend of DH on a different date).
Bromont

Thanks
Of all those listed Plattekill offers the most trails, the most fun and if you skipped ALL the others you would be happier without a doubt.

Diablo is a freeride park, and super limited. MSA kicks ass too. Others are pipe dreams. If you want to ride: MSA and PKill, if you want hotels and night life - you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Of all those listed Plattekill offers the most trails, the most fun and if you skipped ALL the others you would be happier without a doubt.

Diablo is a freeride park, and super limited. MSA kicks ass too. Others are pipe dreams. If you want to ride: MSA and PKill, if you want hotels and night life - you're doing it wrong.
i think you missed this HUGE glaring thing in his post. He is going with the girl, if she has to sit at platty, she wont be happy.

go to bromont. rad trails, the village is cute, and there is a golf course, and turisty crap

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
i think you missed this HUGE glaring thing in his post. He is going with the girl, if she has to sit at platty, she wont be happy.

go to bromont. rad trails, the village is cute, and there is a golf course, and turisty crap
did, yup.

Golf? Really?

how do you reconcile this.... Bromont would do it. Diablo/Snowshoe would not.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
did, yup.

Golf? Really?

how do you reconcile this.... Bromont would do it. Diablo/Snowshoe would not.
he said in his original post that golf could be an option for him and his lady.

snowshoe is a longer drive than 8-9 hours like he states in his original post.

MSA would be fun as well, but it is out of his driving range.

hes already been to diablo, hence why i sugested a place he said he hasnt been. Bromont. It ahs all the ammenities that he is looking for his lady, and amazing trails to go along with it. If he really needs to go clubbin to montreal is only 45min away.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Golf is the reason I mentioned Hanah, again 10 miles from the lodge;

7,033 Yards - USGA Rated:133
Golf Digest gave the Hanah golf course a three and half star rating and nicknamed it "The Terminator" due to the many water hazards. From the back tees at Hanah the par 72 course measures 7195 yards and is ranked among the top 17 of over 700 golf courses in the Northeast.

Distil

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Bromont, Qc
Come to Bromont you'll find what your looking for...

3 golf courses, 2 spa, condos/hotels....

Everything in a 10 min car ride range.

There's also the Carfour Champêtre which has over 15 outlet stores....

And of course plenty of trails to have fun. There's also the waterpark which is pretty fun.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
stay at or near hunter mountain, its a short drive to plattekill you will have fun with the woman around hunter mt, and great riding at plattekill, plus you can do some real cool zip lines at hunter

Ive been to all those places or near them for biking or for work. My opinon is MSA. Quebec city is an amazing place. There is no other place like it in North America. Bromont is also very cool, but is a resort town.

Plattekill has the best riding probably, but lets face it, its in the middle of nowhere.

I would have suggested Whiteface because Lake Placid is a great place and the mountain is great as well.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for all the input everyone...

So slight update - although the 'guys' are planning a Whiteface trip (either on its own or part of a mini tour), my girl and I might postpone our trip a bit to give us the option of me riding Whiteface (as it opens June 17th or something).

So some thoughts -

Bromont is great, but we are in Quebec/Montreal a bit for work, so although its different at Bromont - still not really an 'adventure'.

Whiteface - lots of options, good riding for me (and website now says they will open 7 days a week). I just love the area of Lake Placid, so this is a high ranking option - and Whiteface is my kind of mountian!! (to me its more natural, old school, ride it from top to bottom and look up and go holy crap that was awesome!!)

I am getting the feeling Plattekill might be a 'guy' trip just because its pretty 'remote'... I know there is The Roxbury Hotel - but not really the 'resort' atmosphere I think. And someone mentioned to stay at Hunter mountain for resort and ride at Plattekill. I will look into that.

Diablo/Mountain Creek looks incredible - but unless I can find some deals, holy crap its expensive at the big resorts/spas at Mountain Creek!! But looks like good golf options as well... Definitley still heavily considering

What a crazy expensive thing this 'spa' scam is!! HAHAHA.

Seven Springs is definitely dropping - after research it just seems to be 'too small' of a mountain for the travel/distance/expense for me. I am more interested in either the immense 'vertical' type of Whiteface, or immense 'volume and challenge' of Plattekill. Sorry to Seven springs guys, no offense.

Anyone give ideas on the Vermont options?? Not much input on them... Killington, Mt Snow, Sugarbush - they seem to have 'girl' stuff like golf/resort - but questioning the DH. I know they have the vertical, but 'flowy all ability' singletrack/doubletrack just doesn't interest me. A post above has some comments on Killington - and it is a skip from most comments??

Anyone - Killington/Sugarbush/Mt Snow?

Thanks again.