Quantcast

East coast night DH?? Looking for interest.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Would any east coast DH'ers be interested in a night DH race??

My team, Generation Gap Racing/Lupine/Gretna Bikes wants to host/sponsor a night DH at a popular Mid-Atlantic venue. It would require the use of on board lighting vs. stadium light.
Our idea is it would conincide with a sanctioned race weekend but more less be a "fun event" for a night time activity.
Prizes will be Lupine light sets.
Is there any interest in this before we make the effort?

Thanks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been trying to plan/theorize/negotiate a 24hr DH race at an East Coast venue for some time now. I know it's not a "night race" in the purest sense, but you would certainly be racing at night.

Plattekill immediately comes to mind because they're crazy enough, central enough, and you can actually speak with people that work there. Pulling something like this off at a park where DH is a sideshow and not a priority would be a much larger challenge.

The biggest problem, of course, is lights. DH bikes have non-convential frames and stems and bars, so helmet and bar lights might be a challenge. Due to the high speeds, you're really going to have to light the whole course. Coming up with a lighting system will be a challenge since you really should have both string lighting and flood lighting to mark the trail and technical sections.

One problem is that platty doesn't have lights....so top to bottom, you'd have to run some....and possibly on the lift.

I was thinking of running three courses, two in the day and one at night. Keeps riders from being on top of each other, and the night course would be much easier and closer to the lift for power and visibility.

I would be more than happy to help organize an event, and would gladly participate. I would probably suggest a non-race weekend since some racers may want to join...but of course the real race comes first.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
not riding for JB anymore?
Not sure at this point...waiting for J. It really depends on if he is willing to choke up some real support. Last year was really just me and J working together for my independant affiliation.
This year, I formed and manage an all amatuer team and have some real support behind us.
Gotta go with the cash flow!!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Having just moved back from the uk and planning my east coast race schedule, I don't really have any interest in novelty races. There is certainly a place for them, and I've had fun at downieville (which is not actually a novelty race) and 24 hour races, but I can't help but feel if the USA stopped inventing races as an excuse to party, and rather had more just plain races, then perhaps we could groom some more competetive racers.

I don't mean any disrespect to the organizers here, I'm sure it will be a hoot. Just sharing my level of interest as a counterpoint. Cheers!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Having just moved back from the uk and planning my east coast race schedule, I don't really have any interest in novelty races. There is certainly a place for them, and I've had fun at downieville (which is not actually a novelty race) and 24 hour races, but I can't help but feel if the USA stopped inventing races as an excuse to party, and rather had more just plain races, then perhaps we could groom some more competetive racers.

I don't mean any disrespect to the organizers here, I'm sure it will be a hoot. Just sharing my level of interest as a counterpoint. Cheers!
if you have no interest, dont go ya debbie downer.
i guess "partying" is a bad thing

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
We talked with Sandwich about a 24 hour race at Platty a few times. Lighting is the biggest problem. We are willing to listen to anyones plans regarding this or any other event at the mountain. It would prob be better than as a stand alone event. IMO a 12 hour race would make more sense say 8-8 or 9-9. The other logistical problem would be course marshals for such a long event to take care of safety and those guys that like to cut courses.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Do you have any idea how many "plain" races there are in the East this season? :confused:

Not to mention 2 ProGRT's, The US Open, National Champs, Citizens Race at the WC, Bromont and Tremblant Canada Cups, MSA Quebec Cup, GES Series, ESC Series and some smaller mountains independent series. There is not one weekend open and in some cases two, three or four races on the same weekend.

I think some "novelty" races are in order.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
if you have no interest, dont go ya debbie downer.
i guess "partying" is a bad thing
Well, he was trying to gage interest, so I replied honestly and constructively. I guess there are quite a lot of races on the east coast this year, just wish we had more local racing to cut out the travel. Let's try to keep opinions welcome here eh? It is a discussion forum right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have to agree or disagree or whatever...I think the one thing the "scene" lacks is a "scene" unto itself. People show up, race, leave. Eh who cares. I remember when plattekill would be filled top to bottom. XC races, short track, all that stuff. Now it's bordering on who has the coolest jammies, and not going out and having a wild time for a weekend or so.

I for one would LOVE to see a return to "festivals" with "fun" and "gimmicky" races. Hopefully something could be planned so it either doesn't interfere with a major race (open, GRT, GES) or compliments it by getting fans there or racing, but not necessarily jamming the pro's frequency. Something before a GRT, or maybe the world cup, or something like that, where no pros will even consider it, but the amateurs can come out of the woodwork to both watch the pros and race something with little effect on their own schedule.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have to agree or disagree or whatever...I think the one thing the "scene" lacks is a "scene" unto itself. People show up, race, leave. Eh who cares. I remember when plattekill would be filled top to bottom. XC races, short track, all that stuff. Now it's bordering on who has the coolest jammies, and not going out and having a wild time for a weekend or so.

I for one would LOVE to see a return to "festivals" with "fun" and "gimmicky" races. Hopefully something could be planned so it either doesn't interfere with a major race (open, GRT, GES) or compliments it by getting fans there or racing, but not necessarily jamming the pro's frequency. Something before a GRT, or maybe the world cup, or something like that, where no pros will even consider it, but the amateurs can come out of the woodwork to both watch the pros and race something with little effect on their own schedule.
like the citizens dh race that windham put on the day before the WC? that was fun.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well, he was trying to gage interest, so I replied honestly and constructively. I guess there are quite a lot of races on the east coast this year, just wish we had more local racing to cut out the travel. Let's try to keep opinions welcome here eh? It is a discussion forum right?
you make it seem like we shouldnt be having fun or having a fun race like a night DH race. as mentioned, there are plenty of races here in the east and a fun race w/ a excuse to "party" is exactly what we need.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Days of Platty XC and slalom on sat and DH sun were the best. Needs more Flood Water Challenge/Last Chance for Glory/etc titles again too.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
see those days at platty when the lift lines went out to the upper parking lot, and chase, and lars and those guys all came to every race.. i think are over, not because of the place, but because of the INSANE amount of new options for racing in the northeast, like the old man said already.. there is a race EVERY weekend if not mulitple races on the east coast. There is still a lot of fun going on at platty every race, just at a lil smaller scale. There UCI points racing and having the Progtr last year was awesome, the camping is still really fun. A night time race or 12hour race i think would be an awesome idea! 12hour race w/ a team would prob be easiest to figure out!

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England
Some facts...

1. Arguably the best DH racing nation in the world holds an endurance DH race (Great Britian/Fort William).

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Endurance-Downhill/1810/

2. The East Coast has the largest number of races per mile traveled of any place in the US.

Count me in on any 12 hour DH event!!!:thumb:

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
You probably know this, but southridgeusa.com and marzocchi put on a night DH race last year, and are planning on doing a set this year. They might have some useful advice.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Could break the classes down by Lumens...:lighten:...somebody would show up with 3000 Lumens. While most guys would be out there with 200-500.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

I for one would LOVE to see a return to "festivals" with "fun" and "gimmicky" races. .
When I rode up with Herndon in '02, we didn't know what to expect. Dug all day on the dual course Friday and pitched a tent early. Woke up the next morning surrounded by campers. Saturday night was some retarded fun....a whole lot of RETARDED. :thumb:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Not sure why you guys think the track needs to be lit. The first red bull night shift event was at Windrock, TN without lighting any of the track. Most of us raced it with just a helmet light. A nice helmet light plus a handlebar light if you want it is plenty IMO. Sure, speeds aren't gonna be as high as during the day, and the track should probably be designed with that in mind, but c'mon, lighting a DH track is just not practical.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure why you guys think the track needs to be lit. The first red bull night shift event was at Windrock, TN without lighting any of the track. Most of us raced it with just a helmet light. A nice helmet light plus a handlebar light if you want it is plenty IMO. Sure, speeds aren't gonna be as high as during the day, and the track should probably be designed with that in mind, but c'mon, lighting a DH track is just not practical.
I agree, and I think part of the challenge should be figuring out your own lighting. What's the point of doing it at night if the whole course would be flooded with light?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you rely on headlamps or some sort of bike light, then you are going to need multiple batteries for a all-night race. for those that dont have even one light, it would keep attendance down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you rely on headlamps or some sort of bike light, then you are going to need multiple batteries for a all-night race.
you sure about that? most lights are good for several hours of consecutive use. this would only be an issue if you're dumb enough to leave the lights on while you're on the lift/shuttle.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you sure about that? most lights are good for several hours of consecutive use. this would only be an issue if you're dumb enough to leave the lights on while you're on the lift/shuttle.
consecutive usage is the key word. it gets dark at what, 8:30/9 in the summer and starts getting light around 6-7? 8-9 hours of on/off usage will kill a battery(unless im wrong about a light's burn time). plus, if youre droggy when riding at 3am im sure youll forget to shut your light off on the lift.:p

edit: lights on course will broaden the entry list even more, especially for those without lights.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
"a" downhill race at night doesn't necessarily make "a good" downhill race at night. Flood lighting may not be necessary everywhere, but it would be nice to have in certain sections or drops.

Also, again, it might be a challenge to mount a battery to a weird DH frame....and dangerous strapped to a body. I'd love to see evidence that it works though...