Quantcast

Dual Front disc anyone?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
priceseliger14 said:
and the levers? would they be special? and not to mention confusing at some times!
I think on some of the DH wheelchairs they have two brakes running off of one lever for front and rear, ie four wheel discs?

I wonder what you would do about a caliper for the other side though?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I have some proto shimano dual rotor setups in the garage from when the wife was testing them for shimano-They were beyond overkill....I had to spray with oil before every run so she wouldnt kill herself

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
stiksandstones said:
I have some proto shimano dual rotor setups in the garage from when the wife was testing them for shimano-They were beyond overkill....I had to spray with oil before every run so she wouldnt kill herself
I remember seeing spyphotos of those! SHOW ME MOOOOREE!! :blah: :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Curb Hucker said:
You would just use a standard lever with a 3-way splitter in the line.

As for the caliper you could just use a standard caliper with a special adapter to run it upside down
exept your lever would have twice the throw to it. Might have to make a custom master cylinder.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
I once saw this pretty big guy on an old marzocchi SC fork. He had 2 disc brakes on the front, both hayes 6 inch. Had somthing all set-up so they both worked. Also had a custom hub. But that wasn't the best part.

He had a V brake on the back.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
zedro said:
its a 6 bar for some wacky axle path action....
It looks like that dogbone on the bottom moves the whole CS like a Lawwill.
meh
I'm sure it'll be huge in Cambodia....

edit: Lawwill? now it just looks like the wanted the BB pivot further back...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC

The HT bulge might be an integrated hydro 'detangler' or whatever its called...
Also has swanky oldschool CNC work.

oh oh! Looks like you can adjust the shock's bottom bolt location too.

Folder!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
priceseliger14 said:
what came up with the idea for some crazy stuff like that?
Big box superstores and bodegas in Chinatown

Some of the components and frames look great though, SRAM and Truvativ were also in the listings but had no pics.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Dual front brakes? What for? I can lock up my Hayes front rotor with one finger.

That yellow frame looks like a good choice for a little kid who wants a bike with a shock on the back. I suspect the shock is just for looks and the bike uses a rear coaster brake. Of course a better choice for a little kid's bike would be a simple lightweight bmx bike with proper geometry.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I remember a few DIY dual disc front ends were made back when the original Z1 came out with a disc mount on either side. It was either DIY, or Formula :dead:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you guys really should have a copy each of those big taiwan books.

its really fun until you realize you might be riding a component or two designed by those same masterminds.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
vitox said:
you guys really should have a copy each of those big taiwan books.

its really fun until you realize you might be riding a component or two designed by those same masterminds.
Is is possible for the general public to get ahold of said book and/or order some of these frames? One frame at a time, or do you have to order 100 minimum? I looked through the biketaiwan site and some of that stuff looks nice. You can get an idea who builds what for who. Lots of bighit copies and Azonic Eliminator-esque DH bikes. Any thoughts?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
KonaJosh said:
Is is possible for the general public to get ahold of said book and/or order some of these frames? One frame at a time, or do you have to order 100 minimum? I looked through the biketaiwan site and some of that stuff looks nice. You can get an idea who builds what for who. Lots of bighit copies and Azonic Eliminator-esque DH bikes. Any thoughts?
you'll need to order 100 min usually for the smaller companies. Some of the bigger builders require as many as 500 at a time.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
ah, thanks for the info. Though frequently futile, I'm still inclined to check out potential inside hook-ups. I guess I'll be sticking to used stuff for a while.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
that a friend of mine has with a dual rotor setup in the front. Mr Dirt fork, and Bob at Mr Dirt made a custom hub for it, and a custom dropout. Hope made a special M4 brake to fit the thing with a single lever and the second brake run off the bleeder hole of the first brake. One brake pulls, then forces fluid over to the second brake. Kinda cool setup with a hose that runs up and over the tire from the first caliper to the second. 205mm rotors in the front and rear, and shimano airlines shifting (but i think that is coming off soon) If you got 2 180lb people and 70lbs of bike, dual rotors are most likely necessary....... or at least a very good idea.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ChrisRobin said:
I'd love to get one of those big books...just to see what kind of crazy stuff is being made.

most of it is on line on taiwanese b2b sites

like biketaiwan or bike expo or bicyclesb2b, it just takes (a sh1tload) longer to browse through those cryptic sites.