Quantcast

Dual Front disc anyone?

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
zedro said:
can you guess where the Azonics designs come from?.....
Yeah, I know, but I still think it's a decent bike. It's not exactly innovative, and I'd shy away from any Taiwanese designs that looked "innovative", but it's simple and solid. There's a few generic Taiwan frames on biketaiwan.com that I'd ride. Y'know simple four bars and such. Slap a decent rear shock on them, and voila, decent ride for less $$ (in theory, anyway).

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Like its been implied earlier in this thread, if you guys only knew how many of your precious "american" bikes and components originate from Taiwanese catalogues ;)

Sure there are some oddities, but Taiwan equals quality and top notch stuff nowadays, get with the times.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
wow, azonic, astrix, jamis, (and others) all order from these guys, I wonder how hard it really is to get a "custom" frame series made...

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
zedro said:
yes, and its fun crushing peoples perceptions...
Is that sarcasm?

I thought the smiley in my thread would reveal the playful manner in which i typed the thread.. didnt mean to upset anyone.

Still its true. Azonic's frames, at least many of them, are taiwanese catalogue bikes. The list of fellow manufacturers can grow very long.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I think it works in reverse as well, I remember a local bike company had their bikes built by Pacific, their own design, and suprise suprise, next year Pacific were showing off the frames in question, available to any buyer, with Pacific stickers on them. So as soon as you send your design over there to be built, you can't be suprised when they're getting sold as catalogue bikes to any old company.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Rik said:
I think it works in reverse as well, I remember a local bike company had their bikes built by Pacific, their own design, and suprise suprise, next year Pacific were showing off the frames in question, available to any buyer, with Pacific stickers on them. So as soon as you send your design over there to be built, you can't be suprised when they're getting sold as catalogue bikes to any old company.
This is also true, your design might get copied. It goes both ways.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
lovebunny said:
i read an article in bike magazine that said that nowadays its pretty much taiwan for top notch stuff and china for crappy crap
Thats pretty much spot on. Taiwan has a very proud and experienced bike building tradition, with top of the line equipment. And given the low manufacturing costs, compared to US and Europa many of the biggest companies manufacture their frames there.

Taiwan is no reason to not to buy a certain frame if you like the design.