Quantcast

Downhill Final Results - Willingen WCup

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Nothing better than seeing Kovarik on the podium!!!!! Riding that M3 the way it should be ridden-PINNED!
This years 'curse of the rainbow' is in full effect, Carter out with broken foot, and Fabien Barel missing in action??? This would make a great special on Discovery Channel.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
stiksandstones said:
Nothing better than seeing Kovarik on the podium!!!!! Riding that M3 the way it should be ridden-PINNED!
This years 'curse of the rainbow' is in full effect, Carter out with broken foot, and Fabien Barel missing in action??? This would make a great special on Discovery Channel.
I heard that Barel missed his qualifying time

and also that Mick crashed bad.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
If True about Barel, this is not the first time he missed a start (Worlds 2003)...come on man BUY A WATCH!

Poor Mick, hes going on his 5th year in a row of crashing hard and missing some races. (I am not saying he will miss some, only guessing he will based on past experience).
2005 World Cup Drama...and the band played on.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
SWEET!!! here's honda/23degrees press release. their bikes were stolen...yeah, that's smart. where ya gonna unload hondas w/o a gear box? idiots
----------------------------------

Press Release: June 5, 2005.

Greg Minnaar won his third ever World Cup race, his second for Team G-Cross Honda, in front of a huge crowd in Willingen, Germany, on a challenging two and half minute course that was hit by rain half way through the final. The suspense filled race had everything for the fans, with an early leader in Dan Atherton (Team Animal Giant) sitting in the hot seat waiting for the rest of the world's best to try and beat his time of 2m 23.04secs; only Minnaar did.

The week started terribly for the team on Wednesday night when the two RN01 race bikes for riders Matti Lehikoinen and Greg Minnaar were stolen from a team vehicle, but fortunately this was without the technically innovate gear boxes, thus making the bikes useless to the thieves or anyone else. The mechanics and technical staff worked tirelessly to build up two new bikes in time for practice on Thursday morning, and they were only one hour late getting the riders on course.

The course was full of man made spectacular jumps but with the wet weather the gravel surface used by the course builders made riding very tough as the course became very soft. Powerful riders saw this as an advantage but for most others it became tough training sessions. Timed practice saw both Team G-Cross riders in the top 5, with Greg posting the 2nd fastest time and Matti the 5th fastest. Australian Mick Hannah, third in the World Cup standings was fastest in practice by just 0.19secs over Greg.

The Semi Final was held in cold conditions with the course still wet from morning rain. The goal for both riders was to have a strong semi-final as important World Cup points were available. Mick Hannah once again showed he was the man to beat on this course winning the semi final with 2m 23.21secs, a fast time in the conditions. Greg finished 2nd with 2m 25.05secs and Matti finished an impressive 3rd place earning valuable points. World Champion Fabien Barel missed his started and therefore earned no points today.

Going into the Final, everything was on the line for the overall lead. If Mick Hannah finished ahead of Greg, the leader's jersey was Mick's, and the same if Greg would beat Mick, the overall lead would go to Greg. To make matters complicated, the course had dried out a lot after the semi finals thanks to the gusty wind and a bit of sunshine, but half way through the race, the heavens opened up and the course became very slick. The rain eased up but the damage was done in the open grassy section, 75% down the course. The mechanics swapped the riders to Maxxis Swamp Thing tyres in time, and Matti set off, third from last.

Despite the fact Matti didn't really like the course due it being more power based, he found himself in third place by the interval. He lost a little time on the bottom of the course and ultimately finished a creditable 7th. Next rider, and second last to start, was Greg, who cleared all the jumps at the top, most importantly the huge double, and then made it through all the slippery rock sections without errors, to be a full 4 seconds faster than Dan Atherton at the interval. His finishing time of 2m 19.59secs was good enough to take the lead with only Mick to come. Everyone watched the giant screen as Mick started, but through the tough rock section half way down the course, Mick's bike came out from under him and he fell heavily on the mud. Losing a lot of time getting the bike up and running, he finished 77th and well out of the points, giving Greg Minnaar the overall lead in the World Cup, the first time since Fort William, Round 1, in 2004.

l #9 Greg Minnaar (1st Place)
"This is such an important result for me, to be on target and after such a difficult week. The rain didn't affect the forest section as much as I thought, but I took it a bit easy in the open grass switchback as I heard that was treacherous. To win here in front of such a big crowd, and to do it after our bikes were stolen, means a great deal to me. The mechanics, and staff from Honda, Showa and Formula did an awesome job getting us racing this week and I'm very proud of them. Now we look forward to Schladming Round 3 where we are looking forward to a really technical course."

l #11 Matti Lehikoinen (7th Place)
"Looks like lucky number 7 for me again! Actually when we came here I was not so sure it was a good course for me. I don't quite have the power of some of the other guys and so I was frustrated in training, but when the rain came I got excited, it was slippery and that's like Finland! After getting 3rd in the Semi Finals I just wanted to keep my head together and get a solid top 10 for the points. Now I'm 5th overall, so I'm really happy to have this event over with a good result."

l Team Director Martin Whiteley
"I couldn't ask for a better result. I'm extremely proud of both Greg and Matti who came through the most difficult week and delivered a set of excellent results. To be in position 1 and 5 in the overall after round 2 is perfect. We've also been confirmed as the number 1 Downhill team in the UCI ranking so a good weekend all round."

Semi Final Results:
Pos. No. Name Team Time
1 31 Mick Hannah Haro Bikes 2:23.21
2 9 Greg Minnaar Team G Cross Honda 2:25.05
3 11 Matti Lehikoinen Team G Cross Honda 2:26.76
4 2 Sam Hill Iron Horse Mad Catz 2:27.19
5 7 Gee Atherton Animal Giant 2:27.38

Final Results:
Pos. No. Name Team Time
1 9 Greg Minnaar Team G Cross Honda 2:19.59
2 17 Dan Atherton Animal Giant 2:23.04
3 3 Nathan Rennie Santa Cruz Syndicate 2:23.19
4 81 Chris Kovarik Intense Bicycles 2:24.76
5 2 Sam Hill Iron Horse Mad Catz 2:25.46
6 6 David Vazquez Maxxis-MSC 2:25.69
7 11 Matti Lehikoinen Team G Cross Honda 2:25.82
8 4 Cedric Gracia Siemens Cannondale 2:25.95
9 7 Gee Atherton Animal Giant 2:26.48
10 10 Markolf Berchtold Maxxis-MSC 2:26.91

World Cup Overall Standings:
Pos. No. Name Team Points
1 9 Greg Minnaar Team G Cross Honda 430
2 2 Sam Hill Iron Horse Mad Catz 295
3 3 Nathan Rennie Santa Cruz Syndicate 278
4 1 Steve Peat Team Orange 250
5 11 Matti Lehikoinen Team G Cross Honda 235
6 17 Dan Atherton Animal Giant 231
7 31 Mick Hannah Haro Bikes 215
8 7 Gee Atherton Animal Giant 197
9 5 Mickael Pascal Maxxis-MSC 172
10 81 Chris Kovarik Intense Bicycles 140

World Cup Overall Team Points:
Pos. Team Points
1 Team G Cross Honda 122
2 Maxxis-MSC 107
3 Kona Les Gets 61

Greg also participated in the 4X training, but decided not to race, so in the qualification he decided just to put on a show for the media and fans by doing some of the bigger jumps in true Minnaar style, but disqualified himself by going off course, so as not to take one of the 64 qualified places from another rider. It was considered best, in light of the stolen bikes, to focus on downhill racing this week.

The team now heads to Schladming, Austria, for round 3 of the World Cup on June 12th.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
dondon said:
Andrew Neethling, Honda Turner 13th place. Awesome. Also did you see in the 4x men refused to race and women raced but protested at podium, something about broken gate. Too bad course looked good.
In all seriousness, He should be top 10 every weekend with his skills...elaborate dondon why he is not?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That's a sweet press-release, giving props to Mick and other guys who are competitors to the Honda team. That sort of sportsmanship is awesome. If you want to be a true pro mountain biker, world cup is where it's at!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
just got back... madness... apologies to anyone i tried to set on fire... kev / steve o and you other belg fellas... you b@stards should all be locked up ;)... good time lads... good to finally meet ya kev, come stay and we ll ride BWB or burg frank sometime...

JUPLIER IS THE SH!T :thumb:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
to be honest it didn t appear (to me at least) as if minnar was going so fast... what was amazing was how smooth he was... i guess it just goes to show...

kovarik didn t seem to enthausiastic (sp>?) as he made his way up for the finals... i had a brief word with him as he checked out the grassy off camber...the wet and rain seemed on his mind... infact when we saw him toward the bottom of his run in the off camber grassy corner he looked like he was having a bad day... i guess he must have been goin ape sh1t up the top... very impressive...

good day for the aussies alll round... 3, 4 ,5... if it was dry like last weekend then i m sure the lads would have done even better...

i know one thing for sure... i m glad i m not the guy who wore the lycra bodysuit... he got SLAMMED... lesson learned... don t go for a tear off half way through a grassy wet right hander... highsided into the take off of the following jump and bounced... i m sure he is in pain tonight... thats what ya get for wearing the bodysuit mate..

suffering more than my liver... :)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
stiksandstones said:
If True about Barel, this is not the first time he missed a start (Worlds 2003)...come on man BUY A WATCH!

he missed the start in peru at the megavalanche too, busted wheel that time though

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
to be honest it didn t appear (to me at least) as if minnar was going so fast... what was amazing was how smooth he was... i guess it just goes to show...

kovarik didn t seem to enthausiastic (sp>?) as he made his way up for the finals... i had a brief word with him as he checked out the grassy off camber...the wet and rain seemed on his mind... infact when we saw him toward the bottom of his run in the off camber grassy corner he looked like he was having a bad day... i guess he must have been goin ape sh1t up the top... very impressive...

good day for the aussies alll round... 3, 4 ,5... if it was dry like last weekend then i m sure the lads would have done even better...

i know one thing for sure... i m glad i m not the guy who wore the lycra bodysuit... he got SLAMMED... lesson learned... don t go for a tear off half way through a grassy wet right hander... highsided into the take off of the following jump and bounced... i m sure he is in pain tonight... thats what ya get for wearing the bodysuit mate..

suffering more than my liver... :)
Sounds like a good time mate. Nice one.

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
from canadiancyclist: http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/June/6.5.051.18PM30.shtml

women turning their backs on the spectators? Insane. Just insane. Turning your back on all of the people who came to see you? I have no respect for that kind of "professional"... more like professional whiners...

(this doesn't have much to do with the above, but just an example that fans really care about the racing... So if you're mad about a gate not working, take your anger to the officials, not to spectators)
I remember travelling from 24hours by train from denmark to the middle of nowhere Vars, France to see that world cup. The 4x (or dual at the time) course was a mud hole, but then again, the organizers couldn't stop the rain that just poured down.

When they finally canceled the event (for good reason - lightning was cracking just over out heads) we spectators were a bit upset. We stood in the rain for 3 or 4 hours to see our favorite riders.... I don't care if the track has a bad gate... Just yell "GO!" and that would be fine for me. we just wanted to see RACING!!

top level racing has seen "faulty starting gates" before... what did they do to remedy the problem?

ggb

Chimp
May 14, 2002
If Barel did miss his start at worlds 2003 it worked for him because he came third

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:

Actually rumor had it at the Cal state race this weekend EC is now out with a pretty badly broken wrist.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
After looking at the "HUGE" Pro Women's field, i noticed that there weren't any US Women present. Nothing in qualifying either....of course every women qualified...but i mean no one tried to race & DNF'ed.....

I'm just curious...is this the first WC where there were NO US WOMEN PARTICIPATION?? wow...long gone are the days of Missy, Leigh, Elke, Marla, Cheri etc...

1 10 FRA19771008 CHAUSSON Anne-Caroline COX* * *2:42.88
2 16 FRA19860527 RAGOT Emmeline QBS* * *2:47.38
3 5 NZL19761015 QUIN Vanessa* * * 2:47.92
4 8 GBR19871206 ATHERTON Rachel* * * 2:49.53
5 2 FRA19810819 JONNIER Sabrina* * * 2:54.55
6 3 SUI19770322 SANER Marielle MAX* * *2:57.12
7 6 GBR19830116 GASKELL Helen* * * 2:57.20
8 13 GBR19820827 GRIFFITHS Fionn* * * 3:00.39
9 34 SUI19870101 RUCHTI Miriam* * * 3:04.45
10 15 AUT19801118 BERNHARD Petra MSR* * *3:07.19
11 26 GER19690331 KRAMER Antje* * * 3:07.69
12 31 AUT19850212 HOHENWARTER Angelika* * * 3:09.35
13 21 ECU19840319 MARGGRAFF Diana ZEN* * *3:09.61
14 4 GBR19790412 MOSELEY Tracy KLG* * *3:10.39
15 44 ITA19860709 THALER Michaela RSP* * *3:15.81
16 24 SUI19710408 BOSSARD Daniela* * * 3:19.38
17 19 GBR19770125 REES JONES Anja* * * 3:19.96
18 25 GBR19840519 CONWAY Maria* * * 3:20.62
19 30 GBR19690926 BALLENTINE Karen* * * 3:20.93
20 23 ESP19821008 ALFAGEME JANEIRO Violeta* * * 3:21.72
21 47 SUI19820104 STADLER Silja* * * 3:25.74
22 27 GBR19860411 CANN CALAMATY Jayne* * * 3:25.77
23 28 SUI19830316 KUHNE Alice* * * 3:30.98
24 35 HUN19870906 KOCZKA Zsofia* * * 3:35.71
25 43 SUI19831128 SPICHER Celine* * * 3:36.94
26 40 GBR19801018 MART Jaymie* * * 3:38.29
* *17 NZL19870318 HAGEN Scarlett* DNS
* *42 SVK19810303 BOSKOVA Helena* DNS
* *45 GER19831114 BERGNER Stephanie* DNS
From Semi-Finals* *
*22 ESP19741021 HERNANDEZ MOLINAS Victoria* DNF
*46 SUI19770725 LATKA Nadia* DNF
* * * DNS
*11 NED19820707 BEERTEN Anneke SFR DNS
*11 NED19820707 BEERTEN Anneke SFR DNS
* * * DNS
*20 GBR19690922 WILTSHIRE Petra* DNS

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Looks like it was a great weekend for the Atherton Family. Also, congratulations to Kyle Strait; top placing American and a top 20 finish...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
©2001 said:
SWEET!!! here's honda/23degrees press release. their bikes were stolen...yeah, that's smart. where ya gonna unload hondas w/o a gear box? idiots
----------------------------------

someone is taking them to china and having them make copys.

they can copy anything HONDA! lol :blah:

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
partsbara said:
just got back... madness... apologies to anyone i tried to set on fire... kev / steve o and you other belg fellas... you b@stards should all be locked up ;)... good time lads... good to finally meet ya kev, come stay and we ll ride BWB or burg frank sometime...

JUPLIER IS THE SH!T :thumb:
High five to you mate! You're a farking legend!
We'll definately pop by with a trunk full of bikes and Jupilers to go bigger than we did this weekend. Scary eh
D'you get outta yer straightjacket allright on sunday?

Still hella pissed that Nico Vinck didn't make it to top ten, he deserved it.
And even more pissed about the 4X finals. My mate Daniel Prijkel (only 17years on mind you) made it to the quarter finals in a heat with Procop, eliminating Atkinson. Then them wankers decide to cancel the damn thing.
On the other hand, Daniel's got so much talent, the world will notice soon enough

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
conleycm1 said:
from canadiancyclist: http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/June/6.5.051.18PM30.shtml

women turning their backs on the spectators? Insane. Just insane. Turning your back on all of the people who came to see you? I have no respect for that kind of "professional"... more like professional whiners...

(this doesn't have much to do with the above, but just an example that fans really care about the racing... So if you're mad about a gate not working, take your anger to the officials, not to spectators)
I remember travelling from 24hours by train from denmark to the middle of nowhere Vars, France to see that world cup. The 4x (or dual at the time) course was a mud hole, but then again, the organizers couldn't stop the rain that just poured down.

When they finally canceled the event (for good reason - lightning was cracking just over out heads) we spectators were a bit upset. We stood in the rain for 3 or 4 hours to see our favorite riders.... I don't care if the track has a bad gate... Just yell "GO!" and that would be fine for me. we just wanted to see RACING!!

top level racing has seen "faulty starting gates" before... what did they do to remedy the problem?
Pea brain post of the day.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
partsbara said:

kovarik didn t seem to enthausiastic (sp>?) ..... infact when we saw him toward the bottom of his run in the off camber grassy corner he looked like he was having a bad day... i guess he must have been goin ape sh1t up the top... very impressive... ...
he turns really big gears at low RPM's. he always looks slow when he sprints. His soft pedaling is the same speed as most people's high RPM sprint. He's got angry little trolls that live inside his calves! :evil:

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
Yo Parts you drunk aussie, got home well?
We certainly need to have a meeting at BWB some time.

Here are some pictures that I took with my little canon S60.
Not as pro as some otherguys, but I tried my best. Sadly enough my carcharger for my photo camera didn't work, so I only got pictures of the first day and some spots and then ended up with a empty battery

http://users.skynet.be/steve.denys/willingen/willingen.htm

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:

Yeah I guess it was a pretty bad crash, they thought he had done more than that to himself, sounds like he had surgery last week to pin some things back together.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Zutroy said:
Yeah I guess it was a pretty bad crash, they thought he had done more than that to himself, sounds like he had surgery last week to pin some things back together.
DAMN!
I gave him a ring but no word back and sent some emails too...nothing...hope it wasnt the bone cully broke (nevicular) ended his career.

Did he go down racing? or at training?
details...fans love em

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Scaphoid navicular. Tiny bone just below the thumb, has no blood flow past about 14 years of age.

I broke mine too, 16 weeks in a cast, still only about 90-95 mobility.

Ends lots of pro moto guys careers, not so bad on a DH bike.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Transcend said:
Scaphoid navicular. Tiny bone just below the thumb, has no blood flow past about 14 years of age.

I broke mine too, 16 weeks in a cast, still only about 90-95 mobility.

Ends lots of pro moto guys careers, not so bad on a DH bike.
Mine is pretty much back to normal now. Finally.
It takes a while to get your strength back for sure.
But it does not bother me at all now when I ride.
I do have a built in excuse if I stink up a race run.
"Oh, I would have nailed it, but my scaphoid was acting up again." :blah: