Quantcast

Does anyone make an angled headset with EC44 bottom cup for tapered steerer?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Not sure if its even possible to make that work, but if it is, was wondering if any of you guys know of one?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i see the 44mm internal diameter head tube option but it appears they only accommodate 1 1/8th straight steerer, am I wrong?

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
that's a standard, not angled cup.
True.. My bad ..missed the angle bit.
Although the enduro/ cane creek version will by default slacken out the H.A if the bike currently used a zero stack head set with the 44mm head tube,going external by 20 mm or so should slacken it out almost a degree. using some offset bushes to bring the bb back down and a fine tune the h.a May be an easier solution and easily reversible if you don't like it.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Although the enduro/ cane creek version will by default slacken out the H.A if the bike currently used a zero stack head set with the 44mm head tube,going external by 20 mm or so should slacken it out almost a degree. using some offset bushes to bring the bb back down and a fine tune the h.a May be an easier solution and easily reversible if you don't like it.
I do realize going to the external cup will slacken the head angle slightly, as will running the lyrik in 170 vs 160. I am doing this on a 6 point though which already has a high bb by todays standards, which will be even higher due to the increased stack height. I don't think you can use offset bushings with the 10mm IH shock hardware. May be SOL

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I do realize going to the external cup will slacken the head angle slightly, as will running the lyrik in 170 vs 160. I am doing this on a 6 point though which already has a high bb by todays standards, which will be even higher due to the increased stack height. I don't think you can use offset bushings with the 10mm IH shock hardware. May be SOL

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Welcome to my pain. :)

I shot a few emails back and forth with buckoW's buddy and his best solution (at the time......last fall) was to just build a stacked lower cup that's not offset at all. It would just do what naughty here is describing. He showed me a mockup he had done and there's just really not a lot of room to work with once you've got a big tapered steerer in there. He didn't want to mess with trying to cram the offset in there and potentially make a weak interface with smaller bearings etc.

If you find one let me know. Works said they were going to make one but I never saw it happen.

I just ended up putting on some offset shock reducers on my bike and gave up.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Welcome to my pain. :)

I shot a few emails back and forth with buckoW's buddy and his best solution (at the time......last fall) was to just build a stacked lower cup that's not offset at all. It would just do what naughty here is describing. He showed me a mockup he had done and there's just really not a lot of room to work with once you've got a big tapered steerer in there. He didn't want to mess with trying to cram the offset in there and potentially make a weak interface with smaller bearings etc.

If you find one let me know. Works said they were going to make one but I never saw it happen.

I kind of figured it would be neigh impossible to do, offset bushings seem like a much more viable solution. I've done some google searching and saw some people talking about offset bushings in the Sunday(uses the same 10mm shock hardware) but no one gave a reference to any products. I imagine it can't be too difficult to machine some custom pieces, but would much rather have something off the shelf so I don't have to bother with the headache.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I kind of figured it would be neigh impossible to do, offset bushings seem like a much more viable solution. I've done some google searching and saw some people talking about offset bushings in the Sunday(uses the same 10mm shock hardware) but no one gave a reference to any products. I imagine it can't be too difficult to machine some custom pieces, but would much rather have something off the shelf so I don't have to bother with the headache.
Look on ebay for a guy in Poland called proshox. That's where I got mine. Considering where they were shipped from, they came pretty quick. He was really communicative, making sure I had the measurements correct and let me know when they were done. Burgtec makes some fancy ones too.

As far as the cups go, I'm pretty sure you could do it with a 44 bottom. It would be stacked but if it's offset AND stacked, you'd reduce the elevation gain of the front end of the bike a little. I just think most people don't want to build a lower cup that tall...........but then if the only option is a straight thick one to raise the front end, who cares......stack it up as much as it takes, but get the offset.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
On your 5.spot? How well did that work?
I was looking at the -1.5 cups for my 5.spot (straight 1 1/8 steerer) but never bought. Did you get favorable results with the offset shock reducers?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
On your 5.spot? How well did that work?
I was looking at the -1.5 cups for my 5.spot (straight 1 1/8 steerer) but never bought. Did you get favorable results with the offset shock reducers?
It definitely messes with the suspension curve a bit but it's liveable IMO.

If you've got a 1 1/8 steeerer fork though, I wouldn't even mess with it. Just get some cups. I only did the offset bushings because I couldn't find a set up cups that would work with a pike. And there's no way in hell I'm NOT running that fork.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
10 mm hardware doesn't leave you much room to offset the reducers. I think the proshox guy told my buddy it wasn't worth doing an offset bushing for his application (6point).

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
As far as the cups go, I'm pretty sure you could do it with a 44 bottom. It would be stacked but if it's offset AND stacked, you'd reduce the elevation gain of the front end of the bike a little. I just think most people don't want to build a lower cup that tall...........but then if the only option is a straight thick one to raise the front end, who cares......stack it up as much as it takes, but get the offset.
I would think a tall lower cup would erase most of the stiffness gains you'd get from the tapered steerer.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
"headset flex"

Hmmm......I have to admit, those are two words I've never put together before. :D

Cane creek has probably grudgingly said it before though.
kidwoo - did proshox make some custom 10mm hardware? or machine some smaller 8 or 6mm hardware?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is the receipt I got that had my info in it.

Mount width:

Bolt outside diameter:

Measured on:
other

Make the mounting hardware from my measurements, ignoring Proshox database. Required accuracy min 0,1mm.:
NO

I don't want to supply measurements (not recommended, we can't verify your order).:
NO
I do seem to remember filing down the outside a bit to get them to fit in the swinglink on my 5.spot. (this was like 6 months ago)

Looking at dates of emails it was 6 days from order to ship. Considering I think he makes these to order, that's pretty good.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
This is the receipt I got that had my info in it.

I do seem to remember filing down the outside a bit to get them to fit in the swinglink on my 5.spot. (this was like 6 months ago)

Looking at dates of emails it was 6 days from order to ship. Considering I think he makes these to order, that's pretty good.
Ahh I thought you were on a DW Link Iron Horse. I will have to look into this further, I should probably finish the bike first and see if there is something left to be desired in terms of ride quality/characteristics before I make any decisions. Thanks for the lead though, I will contact him :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All you have to do is measure your current hardware and spacing and either find a bike that matches it or get ones that match the bore diameters and cut down the width when you get them.

But by all means, if you find someone making 44mm offset lower cups, please jeebus let me know.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
All you have to do is measure your current hardware and spacing and either find a bike that matches it or get ones that match the bore diameters and cut down the width when you get them.

But by all means, if you find someone making 44mm offset lower cups, please jeebus let me know.
I contacted proshox, hopefully we can figure something out. I'll be sure to let you know if I ever hear of 44mm offset cups for tapered lol