Quantcast

Do I need a new BB?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I took a pretty heavy hit and dented the outboard BB shell. Cranks rotate freely and there's no binding yet but I'm guessing the bearings won't last much longer? Do i need to replace the BB or should i just run it till it explodes?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
If the cranks rotate freely and there is no binding, then run them until they explode. If you damaged the bearings in any way when you hit them, it would show up immediately, most likely like a bind at the angle of impact.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If the cranks rotate freely and there is no binding, then run them until they explode. If you damaged the bearings in any way when you hit them, it would show up immediately, most likely like a bind at the angle of impact.
yup, if everything is running smooth, no need to replace them aside for aesthetics.
when the bearings bind up, you will know

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If it were me, I'd pull the crank arm to get a better idea of how well things really turn. Since you've got so much leverage with the crank on there it can be a little hard to tell.

Still, if it's turning freely, nothing wrong with riding it. It's a DH bike anyway, it's not like you're really pedaling that much, so a little extra friction isn't going to kill you.

How'd you pull that off? Looks like the crank arm took a decent shot at the same time, yeah?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
If it were me, I'd pull the crank arm to get a better idea of how well things really turn. Since you've got so much leverage with the crank on there it can be a little hard to tell.

Still, if it's turning freely, nothing wrong with riding it. It's a DH bike anyway, it's not like you're really pedaling that much, so a little extra friction isn't going to kill you.

How'd you pull that off? Looks like the crank arm took a decent shot at the same time, yeah?
that's a good idea. Don't know how i did it, didn't know it was done until i flipped the bike to take my pedals off.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
that's a good idea. Don't know how i did it, didn't know it was done until i flipped the bike to take my pedals off.
Sounds like you probably just scrapped it on something then. If that was an impact dent, you would remember doing it. I say keep riding it. Like HAB said though the crank provides a lot of leverage, you should be able to spin the bearing pretty easily by hand without the crank. If you can there is no reason to replace it.