Quantcast

Diabolus no longer??

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So I was just looking at the RF site (been a while), and realized that the Diabolus cranks no longer are shown in the product line. No install guide/tech docs for that crank either...

Did they finally realise that they were WAY overbuilt? Re-designing them? Is the Atlas FR replacing them?

Not that I would be purchasing any as IMO the interface is poor, but I just though it was interesting....

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
So I was just looking at the RF site (been a while), and realized that the Diabolus cranks no longer are shown in the product line. No install guide/tech docs for that crank either...

Did they finally realise that they were WAY overbuilt? Re-designing them? Is the Atlas FR replacing them?

Not that I would be purchasing any as IMO the interface is poor, but I just though it was interesting....
Shame...not!:D

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi

They weren't overbuilt for there time, but it has come and gone and things have moved on, FR is not the FR it was a few years ago and more people are optig for DH parts rather than FR built proof parts, RF Altas FR is more than enough for most people. Saint have gotten lighter too.

As to the interface its more of a problem for people who don't know what there doing, its no problem for those of us who do, I prefer it for one, Ive had no issues in 6years of using Atlas, Deus, Diablous and now Atlas FRs :thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As to the interface its more of a problem for people who don't know what there doing, its no problem for those of us who do, I prefer it for one, Ive had no issues in 6years of using Atlas, Deus, Diablous and now Atlas FRs :thumb:
ive had zero issues with Atlas and Diabolous cranks as well.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Wow, thanks for your wisdom.

You should try not to make assumptions about people you don't know. It makes people realize how un-educated you are.

If you knew a little more about mechanical designs you would understand the shortcommings of high tollerance press fit interface when it has to go through repeated removal and instalation cycles. Their bearing preload also is a descrete increment design (of 1/2mm) this is more than what is required to have a cartrage bearing either too loose or too tight.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Wow, thanks for your wisdom.

You should try not to make assumptions about people you don't know. It makes people realize how un-educated you are.

If you knew a little more about mechanical designs you would understand the shortcommings of high tollerance press fit interface when it has to go through repeated removal and instalation cycles. Their bearing preload also is a descrete increment design (of 1/2mm) this is more than what is required to have a cartrage bearing either too loose or too tight.
Dave its not wisdom its my experience with said products, I made no assumptions!

As usual typical when people have a differing experience, and all too common by getting personal or as ya pal states use the old grammar technique that says more to me about your character, if people want to slate my intelligence go for it, I'm not so insecure no do I get personal, you expose yourself :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dave its not wisdom its my experience with said products, I made no assumptions!

As usual typical when people have a differing experience, and all too common by getting personal or as ya pal states use the old grammar technique that says more to me about your character, if people want to slate my intelligence go for it, I'm not so insecure no do I get personal, you expose yourself :thumb:
The fact that you personally have had no issues, while nice, does not mean that it's not an inferior design. The fact of the matter is that RF's design relies on very tight tolerances in a situation where repeated removal/ reassembly is going to lead to wear. Are many of the problems people could run into with this setup potentially caused by them being ham fisted? Sure. Does that mean that Shimano's clamping interface isn't better? Hardly.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Bummer...the I'll miss the sick flames. I remember back when Diabolus first came out, I was sooo stoked to get the stem with flames on it (I think I was around 14 or 15 at the time).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Dave ...I made no assumptions! :
"As to the interface its more of a problem for people who don't know what there doing, its no problem for those of us who do"

It was actually you that started the personal attacks (see above). I simply asked if any one knew if the Diabolus cranks were not being produced any longer. I have not heard this through any normal 'channels', and they still show as available through the normal distibution channels.

Your response was in essence: 'any person having issues with said cranks is incompetent'. That is incorrect and a broad personal attack/assumption about thousands of people that you know nothing about.

If instead you had posted your opinion or your personal experience with said product, no one would have called you out on your BS.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
"As to the interface its more of a problem for people who don't know what there doing, its no problem for those of us who do"

It was actually you that started the personal attacks (see above). I simply asked if any one knew if the Diabolus cranks were not being produced any longer. I have not heard this through any normal 'channels', and they still show as available through the normal distibution channels.

Your response was in essence: 'any person having issues with said cranks is incompetent'. That is incorrect and a broad personal attack/assumption about thousands of people that you know nothing about.

If instead you had posted your opinion or your personal experience with said product, no one would have called you out on your BS.
oh snap x2

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Il bet your crank arms were a little loose and you just didnt notice. They became loose after removing them just a couple times.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Il bet your crank arms were a little loose and you just didnt notice. They became loose after removing them just a couple times.
Ah no Ive have not had loose cranks and I know what this is like, Ive ridden for many years from road to DH and wrenched on my own bikes and many others, Ive seen this problem but Ive also seen how its been handled, does it need more care possibly but then home mechanics do cause alot of there own problems not the product, I'm also a home mechanic by the way.

Ive set this up on quite a few different bikes including others and if it was a design issue then as Ive always stated, its on the lower end stuff which Ive not had experience with and or the user, sure there are no doubt factory faults, and sure it's got tight tolerances that's the point, but it also has a lot of flexibility for those who know how to set it up properly, I had my original Atlas AMs since 04 no issue and Ive removed them many times, I'm no lightweight and I often feel things others don't if somethings wrong, why my friends would bring there bikes to me to fix or look after.

Either way I'm not anti Shimano, some bikes maybe an issue but thats the way with man things, I just am saying that setup properly this should not be an issue.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
The fact that you personally have had no issues, while nice, does not mean that it's not an inferior design. The fact of the matter is that RF's design relies on very tight tolerances in a situation where repeated removal/ reassembly is going to lead to wear. Are many of the problems people could run into with this setup potentially caused by them being ham fisted? Sure. Does that mean that Shimano's clamping interface isn't better? Hardly.
Hear ya but I only stated this in my experience is a user issue in most cases with anything is often the case, sure the products can be off from the factory, that's the same with anything, if ya around cycling long enough ya find that out.

But Ive serviced mine and others on other brands of bikes and we've not ad this issue and that's my response no one has to like it but that's fact and I'm not about to kiss arse to keep some forum boys happy, I'm not anyway related to RF either I just use what works and that is through experiences, I ride hard but always get a great run on gear in most cases, and why I choose them.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi

Huh, how was that personal it was a general statement and I stand by it, man sensitive. you have you're opinion and experience if so that's fine I have no problem with it, I'm going to state my experience's in a thread if you don't like it fine by me.

Don't stick words in my mouth, but that said you're right and since where all so sensitive, usually the truth brings that out, my bad, I should only agree with everyone so we can all be friends.

Yet my most common fix is usually for someone else's stuff up [bike related] and I'm honest enough to admit that Ive done this myself and say so, same can be said for other bike mechanics I know, its a common bitch in the industry, that is very general too, also not just related to RF products but many others.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hear ya but I only stated this in my experience is a user issue in most cases with anything is often the case, sure the products can be off from the factory, that's the same with anything, if ya around cycling long enough ya find that out.

But Ive serviced mine and others on other brands of bikes and we've not ad this issue and that's my response no one has to like it but that's fact and I'm not about to kiss arse to keep some forum boys happy, I'm not anyway related to RF either I just use what works and that is through experiences, I ride hard but always get a great run on gear in most cases, and why I choose them.
So what your saying is, that it is the guy who doesnt realize there is an inherent problem with the DIABOLOUS interface, that on most bikes its loose right off the bat when assembled to the letter as teh Manf wants it.... torqued to spec and all.

Im not ahome mechanic, I know exactly how to install the cranks to the letter, including setting the chainline, properly with these...yes the Diabolous cranks.

When 9/10 of these that are installed have to be installed, taken apart multiple times to ge tthe proper preload........there is an interface problem.... Maybe the fact that RF didnt take into account that while using an interference fit, maybe they shouldnt have painted the contact area.

Ive seen many people do just fine with these whena t home though...... Mainly because they just crank **** down to near snapping point, not taking into acount what the specs say is the proper way to do so.

All in all, if using the Manf directions and specs leaves for an issue that must be figured by the installer...... there is a problem, that is not the fault of the user. Really poor form to call it on a user problem, when it has been discussed MANY times here already as to what the exact problems are, and how to counter them.

Back to the original question...... I havent heard anything either, but also havent seen anyone e ven wanting the diaboloous cranks, bars, posts, stems..... everyone seems to be going to the Atlas stuff. I wouldnt not be suprised one bit if RF is dropping the daiblous line all together