Quantcast

Diablo Aug. 26th-28th

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Basher, Kenan and myself are heading up to ride for 3 days at the end of August. We'll drive up Saturday the 25th, and ride Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Then drive back Tuesday after we ride.

The main point of this post is, we have room for 1 more in the truck and the room. If anybody is interested in heading up, let me know.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Just got back from Diablo. If you've never been there you should definitely go check it out. Well, worth the trip. Dominion to Alpine is too much fun. Once I had it dialed it was hard to convince myself to do other runs.....:D

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Unfortunetely we didnt get any pics. Kenan brought his camera but we were so busy hitting run after run that we didnt really think about taking pics. That gondola gets you back to the top of the mtn fast!

You guys are gonna have a blast. Lots of trails and a good variety of terrain. We ended up staying at the Appalachain Hotel. Not the cheapest place, but it was definitely nice.

Jun 11, 2004
Dominion to Alpine is too much fun. Once I had it dialed it was hard to convince myself to do other runs.....:D
I had that same problem!

Alpine is awesome......with those flowy wall rides.......those cool rollers that you can double up........and that sweet booter at the bottom (by the 3 wood drops) that sends you into the long left handed berm!!

Can't wait to go there again...........NEXT YEAR!! :banghead:

You guys did it right too.......The Appalachain is sweet!

Glad you guys had a good time.

I hope to "re-join" the crew soon and start riding again. I wake up on Saturdays and don't know what to do with myself..........:disgust1:

Jun 11, 2004
Where did you guys stay?
Jon, I rented from this guy: http://www.gtlproperties.com/

He has a one bedroom unit in the Appaplachain. I think it was a queen bed in the bedroom and a pullout couch in the living room. Has a small refrigerator, 2 burner stove and full on dishes and silverware........oh yeah and dishwasher. The back porch faces the slopes. You can actually see the gondola running and riders dropping that deck drop near the bottom. You can't get closer to the trails!

I think the best "value" is to stay at the Days Inn down the street......very close.

Also, to eat go to this place called The George (I think thats what its called). Its a short drive from Appalachain. Good food.......reasonable prices. And definately order their "version" of the chipwich for dessert. :busted:

Have fun on you trip.......expecting a full report when you get back! I need to live vicariously through other riders for the time being.......:nopity:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just got back from Diablo. If you've never been there you should definitely go check it out. Well, worth the trip. Dominion to Alpine is too much fun. Once I had it dialed it was hard to convince myself to do other runs.....:D
Hardest part of Dominion to Alpine is getting the energy up to pedal into the first table top up top after your 30th run of the day.

Unfortunetely we didnt get any pics. Kenan brought his camera but we were so busy hitting run after run that we didnt really think about taking pics. That gondola gets you back to the top of the mtn fast!

You guys are gonna have a blast. Lots of trails and a good variety of terrain. We ended up staying at the Appalachain Hotel. Not the cheapest place, but it was definitely nice.
Yeah, I can't wait. Leaving tomorrow around noon and the forecast is calling for clear skies with highs in the 70's for the whole weekend!!!!!

Jon, I rented from this guy: http://www.gtlproperties.com/

He has a one bedroom unit in the Appaplachain. I think it was a queen bed in the bedroom and a pullout couch in the living room. Has a small refrigerator, 2 burner stove and full on dishes and silverware........oh yeah and dishwasher. The back porch faces the slopes. You can actually see the gondola running and riders dropping that deck drop near the bottom. You can't get closer to the trails!

I think the best "value" is to stay at the Days Inn down the street......very close.

Also, to eat go to this place called The George (I think thats what its called). Its a short drive from Appalachain. Good food.......reasonable prices. And definately order their "version" of the chipwich for dessert. :busted:

Have fun on you trip.......expecting a full report when you get back! I need to live vicariously through other riders for the time being.......:nopity:
Thanks Dave. we are actually already booked at the Days inn - you know my pampered a$$ would rather be at the condo on the mtn, but I'm just glad I'm getting to go. Full report upon my return. I'll try and get some pics, but I think I'll do like jeffkill and probably ride too much to take any.

Jun 11, 2004
Thanks Dave. we are actually already booked at the Days inn - you know my pampered a$$ would rather be at the condo on the mtn, but I'm just glad I'm getting to go. Full report upon my return. I'll try and get some pics, but I think I'll do like jeffkill and probably ride too much to take any.
Cool.

If one of you has a video camera you can get some awesome footage of Alpine from the Gondola. My was actually going to video me on Tuesday.............but.........Monday afternoon had a little accident.

You can time it where the gondola can follow a rider down Alpine and practically film the whole trail. Wish I would have had a chance to do it.........would have been a sweet ariel view the whole way down.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI...the pizza and calzone's down at the pizza joint next to the grocery store...awesome stuff.

Diablo was great. Good weather, unbeatable trails. Hard to stay off of dominion to alpine or tempest to victory. I also liked road to nowhere to Utah and BMW to Ripper but they tired us out pretty fast.

Sorry Demo, no video camera nor did I take a single picture.

Loved the last kicker on lower dominion, it really sends you. Never could figure out how people get up to the top of the wall rides on alpine? Bigger coconuts then me I guess. Just never felt natural??

At this point I think i'd rather drive 5 extra hours to Diablo then go to snowshoe.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Diablo was great. Good weather, unbeatable trails. Hard to stay off of dominion to alpine or tempest to victory. I also liked road to nowhere to Utah and BMW to Ripper but they tired us out pretty fast.

Sorry Demo, no video camera nor did I take a single picture.

Loved the last kicker on lower dominion, it really sends you. Never could figure out how people get up to the top of the wall rides on alpine? Bigger coconuts then me I guess. Just never felt natural??

At this point I think i'd rather drive 5 extra hours to Diablo then go to snowshoe.
FYI about those wall rides. It should be noted that going up to the top means planning your exit. Or one could simply go floating off the end 8 feet to flat like I did first time.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Heh...you say that now...but have either of you been stuck at Diablo for an entire weekend of rain/mud riding when Dominion to Alpine is closed? :huh: It then becomes Snowshoe with a faster lift.
Probably true, just gotta try and plan around the weather. Im not saying that I dont like snowshoe or wont ever go back. Just not until they decide to run the western lift other than races....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Probably true, just gotta try and plan around the weather. Im not saying that I dont like snowshoe or wont ever go back. Just not until they decide to run the western lift other than races....
No doubt. I found myself sitting on the lift the first day we got to Diablo and I had done about 3 runs down Alpine. It started to rain and Jeremy said..."they'll shut that down until it dries out". I felt my heart sink...but it dried up quick and didn't rain any more that weekend.

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
BMW, Utah, Ripper, and Tempest have to be my favs up there. Dominion to Alpine was pretty good to but I just get a kick out of tight technical trails. All the drops are pretty sweet but the Tempest drop takes the cake. Another great thing about Diablo is the locals. All the guys and girl that run the place are super cool and we even met a couple of locals that showed us around. Even some nice local talent working in the restaurants. Worth the drive fer sure.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just rode there this past weekend!!!!! It was by far the best park I have ridden!!!!! I like Snowshoe a lot but Diablo has them beat!!!! BMW was trail I liked the most there!!! Everything else was just as fun!!!!!