Quantcast

DHX2 2021 vs Older

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
In all the release hype I didn't see anything about reduced adjustment range but my 2018 had 20 clicks on each adjuster while my 2021 only has 20 on LSC. The others are 6-8. On my odd-ball application* I have both rebounds maxed and I think I want it slower. Did the 2021 lose adjustment range or does it cover the same range as always, just with coarser clicks? I'm pretty bummed and either looking to trade with someone for an older model or get a custom tuned shimmed shock.

*Sur-ron with 500lb spring. I want to be able to use a 550 for track riding/jumping.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What size is it?

I haven't seen dyno plots for the new one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new one had a somewhat narrower adjustment range from the knobs. That said, it should also be much more readily tuneable via shim swappage than the old one.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If it's anything like the 2021 Grip2 damper compared to the 2020, there will be basically zero compression range.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It's 10.5x3.5 with 500 or 550 spring.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll ask my boy Anthony Diaz at Diaz Supsension Designs if he can add some rebound damping. Bummed cuz I bought this shock thinking it was the one option that could work without paying for custom tuning.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's 10.5x3.5 with 500 or 550 spring.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll ask my boy Anthony Diaz at Diaz Supsension Designs if he can add some rebound damping. Bummed cuz I bought this shock thinking it was the one option that could work without paying for custom tuning.
Ask him about just using thicker oil too. Instant damping increase without guessing and fiddling with internal springs/shims

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If it's anything like the 2021 Grip2 damper compared to the 2020, there will be basically zero compression range.
Wait WTF did they finally let you out back into the wild? Really is the compression adjustment no longer noticeable?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wait WTF did they finally let you out back into the wild? Really is the compression adjustment no longer noticeable?

The range was significantly reduced. . A good chunk of the old range was pretty much a lockout. Seeing the problems that people had tuning it and some of the pretty stupid setups some people were running Fox probably reduced the range to prevent people from running max spacers, full compression, 10 psi and claiming the fork rode like shit. Hopefully they didn't remove what is too much usable range for most people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tuning my Lyrik was easy. It doesn't matter where the dials are. Works well for me but I am of average weight. Not sure if it needs to perform better being on a hardtail. Not going as fast as a FS, but I ride the front wheel alot more and expect it to take care of pretty much everything.