Quantcast

DHX bottoming issues

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I had the exact bike and setup with a 600lb spring and I weigh 230 lbs. That spring is too heavy for ya for sure and your shock has something wrong with it. Send it in...

Sep 17, 2006
Many people have tried to help, you choose to not listen.

Had anyone have given me some information on how to make my shock stiffer than it already is without hindering performance I would have gladly listened. I'd rather risk making a mistake and learning from it, if in fact there is a slight chance that it could actually be beneficial for "ME"

Sep 17, 2006
I am curious how the shock oil got re-bled, multiple rebound shim stack configs were tested (with a complete rebuild each time), and a concusion as to the benefit of this mod was made in one day????
14 hours of non-stop work if you must wonder. and no it's not 100% perfect but i can still tinker with it when i find out what exactly what needs to be changed

All I know so far is that it feels better than the stock arrangement with the heavier oil

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Many people have mentioned that you guys should learn more about the DHX (or other products) before deciding that you need to modify it in a way that you do not understand.

I am curious how the shock oil got re-bled, multiple rebound shim stack configs were tested (with a complete rebuild each time), and a concusion as to the benefit of this mod was made in one day????

Also, oil weights keep getting mentioned which is another 'red light' to signify that what is being done is not undertood by you guys. Oil weights mean nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the cSt of the stock oil ? what cSt did you put in? How did you make sure 100% of the air was removed? What IFP depth is propper for your length DHX?

With out the ansers to all of these questions, you are doing more harm than good by opening your shock. Not to mention that (like most people) you do not fully understand the adjustments of the DHX.

Many people have tried to help, you choose to not listen.

We tried to tell him, He didnt listen.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
darn kids, right? I can't help but be curious and try to learn something while I'm at it. Now there's no real harm in that is there?

It is at my expense anyways, isn't it?
Nothing wrong with blazing your own trail. You asked for advice, got some good advice, then threw it back as if it was useless.

Sep 17, 2006
Actually, you know what, I re-read through most of the thread and there was a lot of valuable information I skipped over. That being said, I'm going to try the setup on a couple of rides and if things are a little too problematic, I'll just revert everything back to the stock settings and possibly change my riding style to compensate.

Like I said, I'm learning by trial and error here because I don't know anyone who can give me a complete and proper lesson on suspension.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
darn kids, right? I can't help but be curious and try to learn something while I'm at it. Now there's no real harm in that is there?

It is at my expense anyways, isn't it?
I actually said that already, just without the darn kids part, its your bike do as you wish, and no there is no real harm in that. Just your own bike, I think in teh long run your either going to make your rear shock back to normal, or end ups ending it to someone who alreayd knows how, and youll learn why most all bike shops send rear shocks out for service

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Personally on your bike, I would run about 65-70 lbs air, and run the bottom out at about 10% from all the way out, that way your not ramping up so fast. And seriously, alot of the problem is that its over sprung for your weight, I looked it up today at the shop, 400 or a 450max for your weight.

Oh yeah as far as the propedal, ther is a reason the new dhx air is either prodel on or off. Run it all the way out when your bombing down hill, all the way in when climbing.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DirtyMike - you're giving out info which is 20% misleading, 30% incorrect, and 100% unhelpful.

At this point I think it's safe to assume that further advice is wasted (and/or regurgitates + dilutes what has already been said) and that additional posting is unnecessary.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
he just needs a less aggressive leverage ratio and a 26" wheel. The 24 is more limiting in DH than any of the stuff said here; however, I agree with UDI's DHX setup. What about making the bottom out chamber a little smaller? I run that plus some shim stack mods done by Suspension Center in Switzerland but like Udi said, think compromises here. How stiff is your rear end? Any play in the pivots?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
no, no, no. Until you actually know what you are talking about please don't give sh*ty advice or tech. help to people who don't know any better.

I've rebuilt a few dhx's in the past year and tell you that opening the reservoir and draining the oil will accomplish next to nothing except drain a small percentage of the shock fluid and probably leave a nice void in the fluid behind. changing the fluid requires taking the shock apart from the reservoir AND the head seal, and filling if from the piston end.

Much as i'd love to tell this guy how to take his shock apart step-by-step to "fix it, i'm not. it isn't broken and whatever he thinks he is going to "fix" by changing the oil is beyond me.

learn to tune it, and adjust your technique. that is really all that is going to help. try running your shock in a lower leverage setting on the big hit, and def. ditch that 24" wheel.
:bonk:
Uhh yeah, that's why I posted the message, so that he would NOT attempt to servive his shock...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
DirtyMike - you're giving out info which is 20% misleading, 30% incorrect, and 100% unhelpful.

At this point I think it's safe to assume that further advice is wasted (and/or regurgitates + dilutes what has already been said) and that additional posting is unnecessary.
I grabbed a book, which is one of the first things I suggested for him to do, well not exactly, I suggested for him to call fox tech and have them walk him through the setup, his biggest problem is that it "is" over sprung. You are right though, I see he is determined to do what he is going to do, and I do hope he posts what he finds

Sep 17, 2006
he just needs a less aggressive leverage ratio and a 26" wheel. The 24 is more limiting in DH than any of the stuff said here; however, I agree with UDI's DHX setup. What about making the bottom out chamber a little smaller? I run that plus some shim stack mods done by Suspension Center in Switzerland but like Udi said, think compromises here. How stiff is your rear end? Any play in the pivots?

That's really what I would like to do in the long run, but I need to wait on some cash. This is mostly a temporary fix for me

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Believe ME, he's not going to buy a KHS!
we've both seen that route firsthand and watched it snap to pieces.
and, he doesnt want anything with less than 8" back there
Not to be, condesending, But Ill take my FR2000 frame over a bighit anyday, least I can run a 26 in wheel. Not to plug KHS here, but there FR frames really were a tough frame, there new Lucky seven is pretty damn nice too.