4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Is this one of the ones you can drill? If so, did you? Looks cool

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Look's great!

As a matter of fact I think you have the 2nd best looking bike in the world :)

Heres mine:

...hmm it does look better in medium though

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The square tubed DHR is one of the best looking frames ever, in my opinion. But yeah, it looks fugly in the size large, because of that huge piece that holds the seat tube.

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
Look's great!

As a matter of fact I think you have the 2nd best looking bike in the world :)

Heres mine:

...hmm it does look better in medium though
Not really a fan of the polished but to each his own. Is that paint I spy on the swingarm?!?! :eek: :(

Nice build though!

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Square-tubed DHR's are sick!! It was really hard to validate selling my granny smith green 2006. Definitely the first bike I learned to ride fast with (some) grace...

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
adstock: yepp, it still got some paint on the rear. My gf returned from holiday so I had to clean up the place...

She looks good in real life with a polished front and rough in the rear :weee:

the large looks better in polish because it has this huge seat tower that looks boring in raw. The medium look really good in raw :thumb:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what's the HA on those older square tube versions? I used to own one but can't remember offhand and it looks a little steep in those first couple of pics.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Its funny how much everyone liked the look of the square tubed DHR's (including myself).

If i remember correctly Turner was using the square tubing on prototypes because it was easier to work with and make changes. Since people liked it so much during the prototype phase they decided to use it for the production run.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Sick with the new comps on there, dig it!

As they said love the old look DHRs, though love the round ver too, funny though it did not take with me initially the rounded tubes, but great to see the older models still ripping it up.

Its not about the bike as Lance would say :D

Or should that be its not about the how new, but how good the bike is/was. :thumb:

Hang on to em!

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
My friends think i'm crazy.. but i still see no reason to replace my frame.
It's solid, has good modern geo, the suspension path is easy to learn, and it's a tank.

Why replace it?

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Love,love,love seeing old square tubers.Right before my friend sold is 06' he cracked it and sent it back to Turner to get re-welded/painted,came back a lovely metalic smoke grey...it was so hard for him to let that bike go,and so hard for me not to buy it for no reason.

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
no need for the angled reducer cups, once these frames are drilled far back enough they are nice and slack, mine is an 06 drilled frame with 40s up front and its under 63deg ha and around 13.8bb, destroys corners...and my pedals!

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
It does not reduce the travel enough to be noticed. I must go home and measure the HA again, the BB is 13,5" on mine but I don't think the HA is that slack.

Do I measure HA sitting on it or what?

Drilling the bike really made a huge difference! It was fun before but it got funner with the lowish BB and good angles.

Update: it was 65 degrees according to dual level pro.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
the old twin toptube versions were pretty cool. didn't realize there were two variations:

check out that headangle!
First pic is the 2003 model.

Second pic is the 2001 model.

2004/2005 were identical except some mods to the pivot area.

I had:

All White black letters - '02
White front/Ruby Red '03
Black w/ white/black/grey moto sticker kit '04
White w/ white/black/grey kit '05
Candy Apple Green w/ polished rear '08 (have)

Thanks to Greg & Dave, I never had a stock color frame either!!!
:rockout:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I remember working a ton of overtime in the summer of 2000, reading the same Mountain Bike magazine where they compared the M-1 to the DHR. I really wanted one, but alas it wasn't mean't to be.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
That green bike has got round so many people in the uk, it was in FOFO in the alps section. I owned it for a while and sold it to a buddy, who has just sold it to another uk guy. Probably around 8owners and still going strong!

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Drilled out my round tube the other day for fun. I went pretty far back, but still within the constraints of the bolt head recess machined into the linkage yolk in the swingarm. There isn't enough room in the swingarm yolk to fit the bearing seals now. I guess I drilled it out too awesome.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
First pic is the 2003 model.

Second pic is the 2001 model.

2004/2005 were identical except some mods to the pivot area.

I had:

All White black letters - '02
White front/Ruby Red '03
Black w/ white/black/grey moto sticker kit '04
White w/ white/black/grey kit '05
Candy Apple Green w/ polished rear '08 (have)

Thanks to Greg & Dave, I never had a stock color frame either!!!
:rockout:
Necro thread is revived. In that case, revival of my DHR? Nope.
2012 Turner DHR - Candy Apple Green w/ Black anodized swingarm

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the round tubers blew up pivots and hardware all the time, didn't they? or that just Janky-John's problem? where the square tubers similar?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a round toober and love it, but I do replace bearings at least once a year.
That said, I get a lot of days on my DH bike. YMMV.

Still contemplating selling this '09 to get a new one on closeout.
Can anyone "in the know" confirm the rumors of the next DW.DHR being carbonz?