Quantcast

DH in State college PA

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Hey I am transfering to Penn State main campus this weekend. I have found some good dirt jumps but i love downhill. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good (or crappy) downhill out there. I just want to ride anything and i do not know the area. Any help would be great. Thanks.

:cheers:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
no, but there is a ton of ridiculous xc around state. When you get out there stop at the bicycle shop. i think its west on college(been a few years).

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
There's a cycling club at main campus. Always seemed more road oriented, but there were plenty of mountain bikers of all disciplines when I was there. Worth checking into anyway.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
Sup man,

There are deff a few DH runs in Rothrock state forest behind Tussey mtn. If you can find people to shuttle with they are fun, fast, rocky natural trails; no jumps or anything man made. When I was at PSU a few years ago I was pretty much the only serious DHer in the cycling club so it was difficult to find people to shuttle with other than when we had our annual ECCC race. But there are at least 3 runs that we used for our race courses. I am planning to move back to State College this summer so when I do we def need to hit each other up and take some killer runs:thumb:

-Brett

Last edited:

ecsnsmb

Chimp
Jun 10, 2008
NJ
I go to school about 30 mins west of State College and there are some killer XC/AM trails there. Check out the Allegripis Trails System at Raystown Lake. Some serious fun to be had there. Seven Points is also super sick. I have been to Rothrock a few times, Speedgoat, where are the DH runs you speak ok? I'd love to do some shuttling at some point. If you want, hit me up in the Spring, I ride as much as possible. If you haven't been, we could show you around Raystown too - fun stuff.
Cheers,
Erik

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Sup man,

There are deff a few DH runs in Rothrock state forest behind Tussey mtn. If you can find people to shuttle with they are fun, fast, rocky natural trails; no jumps or anything man made. When I was at PSU a few years ago I was pretty much the only serious DHer in the cycling club so it was difficult to find people to shuttle with other than when we had our annual ECCC race. But there are at least 3 runs that we used for our race courses. I am planning to move back to State College this summer so when I do we def need to hit each other up and take some killer runs:thumb:

-Brett
Hey man do you know Justin Gregory. He rides for speed goat. Good friend and a good guy. Yeah i know of one person that rides DH up there and he is kind of annoying... but he does have a truck so that is nice. I will have to check it out. I am gonna try and do a little snow DH but I dont know how that will work out. Thanks for the help.

Hey Ulmer... Trust me i am training my drinking muscles for you.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I know justin indirectly as we both ride for speedgoat. I unfortunately blew out my knee and moved to NC before speedgoat picked him up so i have never met him personally. This up coming season will be my first full one since my knee injury. Cant wait to move back up to PA and tear up some runs. when i get off work tonight i'll try to post directions to the trailhead the best i can, but they are unmarked so i cant tell u exactly where they are.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Being a DH'er on the PSU team kinda sucked, but like what Speedgoat was saying, there are some REALLY sweet runs in the mountains behind Tussey Ski area off campus. The thing that you have to be careful of are the roads which are dirt/gravel and pretty tight. When I was shuttling with Jeremy one day, we had to back up a few hundred yards to a turnaround to let another car pass. Super fun though. There are runs that go by the Deer Pens and then there is the ECCC course used for racing called "Wildcat".

Now when I wasn't trying to grab shuttles I would create my own DH runs through campus. Yes - it is possible since campus slopes downwards from Park Ave. toward College Ave. I had a few runs laid out from the small park area behind Forum all the way down to the wall in front of Old Main on the the sidewalk where the hippies have drum circles. DO NOT rip runs through campus during the day. BAD idea - too many pedestrians. Wait until around 4:30pm to do your runs during the weekdays. PM me and I'll come out and show you sometime. =)

If you need competent DH bike maintanence go to "The Bike Shop" on West College Ave. and ask for Grant. THAT guy knows his sh!t and can set up a drivetrain and brake system like no other. Tommy is a retired BMX'er and is the man when it comes to installing steel braided brake lines (Goodridge) among other things. I trust both these guys with my life when it comes to working on my bike.

Last edited:

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
SKC, who are you? Sounds like we would know each other since I was shuttling with Jeremy there also, providing it's the same Jeremy.

As for the trailheads. Go past tussey mtn and approx .5 miles past the entrance there is a right hand turn with a parking lot to your left. take that right and head up the mtn a LONG way. You will switchback a few times and at the top there is a branch in the road. Head to the left and approx .5 miles from the top there should be two trailheads on your left hand side. The trail heads are approx a quarter mile from each other so just look around that area and you will find them. Both trails dump you out on the road that switchbacks to the top.

For the 3rd trail take the right instead of a left when you get to the top. You will start to head down the backside of the mtn and you will go for a while. There will be a left hand turn and u will see a steep road heading back up the mtn, take that. After a while you will come to an area that has a pretty kick ass view of the valley and mtns, the trailhead is on your rt around that area.

I hope that helps, as they are the best directions that i can recall. Like i said i'll be moving back to PSU this summer and will prob be up there some this spring so we deff need to hit some runs.

-Brett

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Brett - check your PM's (Private Messages).

I think we DO know each other. Did you used to ride a first gen. blue V-10 with a Marz Shiver on it?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Brett!!! It IS you!

What up?!

:D

Yeah man - last time I saw you was at the Lehigh ECCC race. You showed me the gouge the replacement shock bolt put in your frame b/c it was too long...

So if you are looking for a new frame... I know a guy who might be able to help... ---> S.K.C.

I'll send you another PM as to what and where I am. Put it this way - I'll be riding with you at some point during the summer since I'm back in school and not far from you. :)

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good (or crappy) downhill out there. I just want to ride anything and i do not know the area. Any help would be great. Thanks.
There are some shuttle-able runs (which can also be ridden to or hike-a-biked) around the Bear Meadows area, including: Old Laural Run, Spruce Gap (the Edge"), Wildcat Gap, Kettle (from Tussey Mountain ("the ridge") trail to Bear Meadows Road). None are terribly long, but probably the best, almost-all downhill trails that are fun on longer travel bikes. Other trails in the area that are fun and mostly downhill include: Lower Lonberger (from Kettle down to Bear Meadows parking area) and Shingletown/Shingletown Gap Trail (from Little Flat Road or Laural Run Road to Shingletown Gap).

As others mentioned there is some great XC riding the area. Check out the Nittany MTB Association website for maps, the trail routes I mentioned will make more sense referenced to those maps.

Seven Springs
is the closest DH resort (in Champion PA, 2 to 2.5 hours) but won't open until early/mid May. Diablo Freeride Park in NJ (3.5 hrs) opens May 1st. Blue Mountain opened up their bike park this past year and seem to be expanding quickly.

What bike you riding?

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah my buddy works at the bicycle shop. He introduced me to the guys there. They helped me find toft trees trails. They were fun but steep bmx style dirt jumps. Not that great for a v10. If i mach into them they are fun though. Some nice hips and step ups. I feel like i am moving into a storage container. I am bringing 3 differetn bikes all my tools, gear, parts and a bike stand. I just hope i dont forget things like clothes... haha.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
you're just too used to drinking crap. There's a huge difference between bottle and can flavors, and not just for yuengling.
My point was that Yuengling is crap, no matter how it's packaged. Even if it tastes worse in a can, a bottle doesn't make it taste "good."

I don't drink crap beer, but given the choice, I'd still pick an Iron City over anything Yuengling makes.

Anyway, I miss riding in State College. Getting lost in Coburn and begging bread off of people in a cabin so you have the energy to ride out, being threatened by some crazy guy with a gun when trying to cut across his land near the airport... good times.

Man, the last time I rode up there I was on a Klein with a 72 degree HA and 70mm of travel. We thought riding down "the edge" was badass. I bet those trails are a blast on a modern trailbike.