Quantcast

DH Chains

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
KMC hollow pin for me too.
Can I just say I buy two chains, and swap them back and forth say every tenth ride or whatever. This way you won't wear out the rest of your drivetrain as quick, and everything will last longer.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Can I just say I buy two chains, and swap them back and forth say every tenth ride or whatever. This way you won't wear out the rest of your drivetrain as quick, and everything will last longer.
Thats a lot of work, I would be changing my chain every 2 weeks...

I USE to work for KMC... I ran the KMC x9sl-Ti for 360 days, with about 1,000 plus XC miles on it. The chain was not skipping I just wanted to replace it before the Fontana National, otherwise it was still good.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Thats a lot of work, I would be changing my chain every 2 weeks...
It's a few minutes work with a power link(change them to a new one every few times too). Easier than working to pay for new chain, cassette, and chain ring more often, and having to install them. Try it and see. Every 20 rides would probably do.
I want all my bikes to have power link because when, not if, my chain jams...it helps a ton.
What he said^.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
ironicly,anytime I've used a powerlink on any non sram chain they have exploded,kmc link=no problem

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Not to be a d!ck, but I don't see how this will help. Each chain will last for the same number of rides/miles you just end up doing more work.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
How much rear travel on a dh chain?? What's the head angle on it also?? Does it have a low bb and wide bars?

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not to be a d!ck, but I don't see how this will help. Each chain will last for the same number of rides/miles you just end up doing more work.
Less chain wear or "stretch" (technically it's wear on the pivots / links and not stretch) means less wear on the cassette and chainring. So it's not the lifespan of the chain you're extending, but the other parts - for example things like dura-ace cassettes and e13 chainrings aren't particularly cheap for those running them, so it's worth extending their lifespan.

I too think swapping chains back and forth is a little excessive, but it is worth replacing the chain at least once over the cassette's lifespan, twice (i.e. 3 chains) is possible if you don't leave as long between changes.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's a two minute job, but do what you will fellas.
You also get the chance to easily clean your chains if needed.
The components will also treat the chains better. The reverse is the main gain though, stay calm UDI.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Less chain wear or "stretch" (technically it's wear on the pivots / links and not stretch) means less wear on the cassette and chainring. So it's not the lifespan of the chain you're extending, but the other parts - for example things like dura-ace cassettes and e13 chainrings aren't particularly cheap for those running them, so it's worth extending their lifespan.

I too think swapping chains back and forth is a little excessive, but it is worth replacing the chain at least once over the cassette's lifespan, twice (i.e. 3 chains) is possible if you don't leave as long between changes.
Yeah, that's the idea. A worn cassette is not only more expensive and performs less well, but it will wear out a new chain much faster- just like a super old chain can really wear out a new cassette. When one part is really worn, the others will probably start to wear faster as well. But, yeah, it does seem excessive to me. Most people probably don't replace their chains often enough, though (which is more expensive in the long run).

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I doubt many of you stretch your chain out past .75 unless you ride your DH bike to the top and put in over 1,000 miles a year on it.

- Normally you dont stretch out chains on DH rigs, the only real kind of wear you put on the chain is side to side play. Since you ride "crossed" (1x9 or 1x10) all the time you will wear it out side to side before you stretch it out length wise within a years period.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I doubt many of you stretch your chain out past .75 unless you ride your DH bike to the top and put in over 1,000 miles a year on it.

- Normally you dont stretch out chains on DH rigs, the only real kind of wear you put on the chain is side to side play. Since you ride "crossed" (1x9 or 1x10) all the time you will wear it out side to side before you stretch it out length wise within a years period.
What about all the bikes with chain growth or built in anti squat induced by chain tension? Pretty sure they'd take their toll on a chain. It's not just wear from load, chins don't actually stretch, the rollers wear. Grit causes this also.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
What about all the bikes with chain growth or built in anti squat induced by chain tension? Pretty sure they'd take their toll on a chain. It's not just wear from load, chins don't actually stretch, the rollers wear. Grit causes this also.
I don't know if there's any data on this, but I doubt that suspension interaction is a huge factor here. The tension on a chain from chain growth has got to be many times less than hard pedaling. Yuroshek brings up a good point. The amount of pedaling on a Dh bike is so much smaller than on a road or XC bike, where a well-maintained chain can last for quite a while.

And, yes, chains do stretch. That's why there are chain checkers- they measure chain stretch. Roller wear happens too (and checkers do not measure this), but in most applications like XC and road, stretch is more of an issue than roller wear.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I doubt that suspension interaction is a huge factor here. The tension on a chain from chain growth has got to be many times less than hard pedaling. Yuroshek brings up a good point. The amount of pedaling on a Dh bike is so much smaller than on a road or XC bike, where a well-maintained chain can last for quite a while.
You don't think going off a drop with the riders weight evenly on both pedals, and the chain resisting rear wheel movement has any effect on it? Do you think the stretch just comes from chain movement/drive usage? Not debating here, quite possibly your right. I'd have thought that much load would wear all the wearing parts of a chain, but perhaps they don't as much as loaded cycling of the chain.
The load/wear would be increased by pedaling through a rough section were the chain is keeping the back suspension from compressing(on certain bikes).

And, yes, chains do stretch. That's why there are chain checkers- they measure chain stretch. Roller wear happens too (and checkers do not measure this), but in most applications like XC and road, stretch is more of an issue than roller wear.
Yes correct, they do stretch, well not the metal but the whole form. The pins and contact points of the links wear out, making the chain longer.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
You don't think going off a drop with the riders weight evenly on both pedals, and the chain resisting rear wheel movement has any effect on it? Do you think the stretch just comes from chain movement/drive usage? Not debating here, quite possibly your right. I'd have thought that much load would wear all the wearing parts of a chain, but perhaps they don't as much as loaded cycling of the chain.
The load/wear would be increased by pedaling through a rough section were the chain is keeping the back suspension from compressing(on certain bikes).

If this is the case then it doesnt matter if you put a new chain on or not. It will still put stress and wear out your cassette and rings. So its really nothing to worry about...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

I understand the concept of chain and drivetrain wear (I'm actually pretty neurotic about monitoring chain elongation due to seeing many wrecked drivetrains in my time as a wrench). Switching chains back and forth will have no effect on this. You don't hear anyone advocating having two sets of brake pads and swapping them in and out to extend life. Just run one pair until it wears out then get some new ones.

A new chain is still a new chain and a worn chain is still a worn chain.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If this is the case then it doesnt matter if you put a new chain on or not. It will still put stress and wear out your cassette and rings. So its really nothing to worry about...
I understand the concept of chain and drivetrain wear (I'm actually pretty neurotic about monitoring chain elongation due to seeing many wrecked drivetrains in my time as a wrench). Switching chains back and forth will have no effect on this. You don't hear anyone advocating having two sets of brake pads and swapping them in and out to extend life. Just run one pair until it wears out then get some new ones.

A new chain is still a new chain and a worn chain is still a worn chain.
Chains wear quicker than cassettes, the more worn the chain, the quicker the cassette wear. By swapping chains your slowing the cassette wear. Your also not then putting a new chain(if you change it quick enough as UDI stated)on a half worn cassette causing wear on the new chain(possibly a negligible effect, but for arguments sake).

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Chains wear quicker than cassettes, the more worn the chain, the quicker the cassette wear. By swapping chains your slowing the cassette wear. Your also not then putting a new chain(if you change it quick enough as UDI stated)on a half worn cassette causing wear on the new chain(possibly a negligible effect, but for arguments sake).
To each his own I guess. I avoid excessive cassette wear by replacing chains well before they reach .75. If a cassette is so worn that a new chain skips on it then it is time for a replacement.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
To each his own I guess. I avoid excessive cassette wear by replacing chains well before they reach .75. If a cassette is so worn that a new chain skips on it then it is time for a replacement.
Yeah man, do what you want, I was just explaining why I do it. I'm actually doing 3 chains, just tried making it seem simpler. Guessing you might be able to squeeze 4.

Last edited: