Quantcast

DH Chains

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
So im in the market for a new chain for DH rig. I want something thats strong and light. I know those two don't really go hand in hand. What are ya'll running?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Was Yaban SL gold, now same from KMC only because there was no YBN around. Go YBN - took me 3 years to wear it down, it's light and cheap.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I like the SRAM PC991 Cross Step. There's a hollow pin version too but I haven't used it myself.
+1 on the cross step. I have been using it on my dh bike no complaints or problems. I also use the hollow pin Pc991 on my other bikes including my 09 Reign X i use a a short travel dh bike, have yet to have any problems.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
SRAM PC-971 - cheap and very tough

cheap enough to buy 2-3 and a Park chain wear tool

check your chain wear from time to time using the gauge, and replace with a new chain once the gauge shows 0.75 - will stop you ruining your cassette and chain ring

chain devices and downhill riding in general put alot of stress on the chain, so its good to check it and replace it, will save you money and ensure quality shifting performance at all times ;)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
KMC x9sl is the best chain ive ever used. Super light, very strong, hollow pin, hollow inner and outer links. Comes in Titanium Nitride coating gold which looks good and helps it hold up after time. You can find them online for 45 bucks!

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
KMC x9sl is the best chain ive ever used. Super light, very strong, hollow pin, hollow inner and outer links. Comes in Titanium Nitride coating gold which looks good and helps it hold up after time. You can find them online for 45 bucks!

Just pick one up for my new bike. $35 brand new off ebay. :thumb:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

i had one for a season, ridden pretty hard when my frame wasn't broken. received little to no oil, and if it weren't for the fact that i got a new frame this year, id continue using the same one on my dh bike. i plan on sticking with kmc.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

X2 Im running the ti version and I havent snapped it yet... 991s I went through 3 in 2 months and same with Whipperman....

KMC :thumb: Been beating on it several months and in snow ice wet hot dusty and LITTLE lube... Ill be getting another one for the parts bin this season...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ive got xt on mine... cant seem to kill it.

Chains are chains when it comes to DH, right circumstance can pop any chain. Just go with what yoiu can get at a decent deal, dont buy crap though, def stick with mid to upper end stuff.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Chains are chains when it comes to DH, right circumstance can pop any chain. Just go with what yoiu can get at a decent deal, dont buy crap though, def stick with mid to upper end stuff.
But if a chains a chain then why not go cheap!!! LOL In theory isnt what you just stated that a chains a chain but if you dont buy crap that insinuates theres a difference... Mike I will back the fact at my weight and thighs I have a $hit ton of torque not alot of endurance (which Im working on) and I snap chains pull links apart... The KMC is solid, used several others...

I have hammered and pedaled out of the pocket on landings and the KMC has taken the beatng countless times, Ive gone over the bars a few times from pedaling out and the 991s snapping the links apart and sending my knee to bar and body over...

I have had no issues with the KMC at all, usually I have 1 or 2 issues by now and I have abused this chain alot more than the others and still holding strong... Hell I slammed a link on a rock at the night race I took pliers and pressed it together although it was a little rough moving its been working fine since....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I've had very bad experiance with XT chains. They don't like water too much and live short. I lubed it regular periods but it rusted super fast, it's not very light and really it makes no sense to get it over the SL's from kmc and ybn.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

best chain eva :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
But if a chains a chain then why not go cheap!!! LOL In theory isnt what you just stated that a chains a chain but if you dont buy crap that insinuates theres a difference... Mike I will back the fact at my weight and thighs I have a $hit ton of torque not alot of endurance (which Im working on) and I snap chains pull links apart... The KMC is solid, used several others...

I have hammered and pedaled out of the pocket on landings and the KMC has taken the beatng countless times, Ive gone over the bars a few times from pedaling out and the 991s snapping the links apart and sending my knee to bar and body over...

I have had no issues with the KMC at all, usually I have 1 or 2 issues by now and I have abused this chain alot more than the others and still holding strong... Hell I slammed a link on a rock at the night race I took pliers and pressed it together although it was a little rough moving its been working fine since....
Ha, Smartass........ Let me rephrase, a quality chain is a quality chain.......

I've had very bad experiance with XT chains. They don't like water too much and live short. I lubed it regular periods but it rusted super fast, it's not very light and really it makes no sense to get it over the SL's from kmc and ybn.
Interesting, I live in Socal so maybe there is a climate difference for us. XT is the lowest I put on and seem to get good results from it.

The part I failed to say in my original post.... I think the best chain to use would be one made to work with the DT you have. I know Sram and Shimano are "compatible" but I have always gotten the best performance when matching up brands.

I think the bottom line is..... Your going to go though chains, its just part of riding, keep an eye on the wear so you dont kill the entire DT

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

another vote for this KMC. i paid $40.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
KMC for ever i love these chains and have been running every 9 speed chain of theirs incl the colored X9's:thumb:,the colored X9 was not expensive and it looks great. The coating never lasted quite long before it went silver but still sillent & strong.

Now X10SL for me all the time & works perfect with my 9 speed drivetrain,no big complains just perfect in combination with my Shimano DA 9 speed cassette:D.

thumbs up for KMC,best chains ever!!!

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Used X9sl's on my trail/freeride bike and DH bike for the past year. 100% reliable, and I noticed a big improvement in shifting performance over the 991 cross steps I has previously used and broken. I have 2 new ones to install on my bikes for next year, but will continue to run the old ones for any winter riding I do before then as they still work perfectly and have at least 1/2 of the ti-ni coating ..... despite being used in wet muddy conditions. This is pretty much the Thomson seatpost of MTB chains.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
A kmc chain would be dope, but I would prefer to spend less on chains. I know I am cheaping out and suffering from the lack of performance and durability, especially on my xc bike. But for some reason I get a thrill out of seeing how long a cheap chain will last.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
connex ss chain 9x1
Destroyed a whipperman/connex bruised my knee and launched over the bars and into a hedge I was pedaling off a transition to jump over in front of my wife...

Fricking funny, hurt like hell but my wife left me there out of embarasment and crying from laughter as she rode off... The people in hte restraunt were glued to the window in amazement...

That would be the last connex I rode.... the one before that failed but not as bad...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Destroyed a whipperman/connex bruised my knee and launched over the bars and into a hedge I was pedaling off a transition to jump over in front of my wife...

Fricking funny, hurt like hell but my wife left me there out of embarasment and crying from laughter as she rode off... The people in hte restraunt were glued to the window in amazement...

That would be the last connex I rode.... the one before that failed but not as bad...
My experiance was not as funny but I lost 2 myself on flattish easy sections. Rohloff wasn't any better.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
My experiance was not as funny but I lost 2 myself on flattish easy sections. Rohloff wasn't any better.
since we are sharing stories... :D

Came down a little short on a gap jump and cased the rock making up the backside landing right into my SRS bash. Completely flattened the SRS bash in that spot and bent my e.13 guidering into my crankarm spider (kinda like a one sided taco shell). KMC chain not only survived, but I am still using the same one to this day. Shifts perfectly.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
since we are sharing stories... :D

Came down a little short on a gap jump and cased the rock making up the backside landing right into my SRS bash. Completely flattened the SRS bash in that spot and bent my e.13 guidering into my crankarm spider (kinda like a one sided taco shell). KMC chain not only survived, but I am still using the same one to this day. Shifts perfectly.
Well mine survived 2 broken derail's (one of them was actualy done by chain though I still don't know how). Hard to say about shifting because I have a strange habbit of kicking my shifter so hard I can't walk. That also means it can't shift very well. Though in times when I could walk the shifting was good.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I believe so. I have yet to break the one I put on my 450. Still holding strong. I would recommend getting one. You won't regret it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

That's my basic philosophy on it. Most decent chains- at least from SRAM, Shimano and KMC- do just fine. Once in a while you might get a bad one, have an installation problem or just get a random breakage. It happens. I have broken chains, but have not really noticed any pattern in it. SRAM, KMC and Shimano have generally given me good results and I have not noticed a big difference in wear or performance between them (I used to live in New England and had the same experience there as SoCal). About 85% of the time I go with Shimano XT or DA because they can be had pretty cheap, I have extra chain pins, they work well and most of my stuff is Shimano.