Quantcast

Death Penalty = Abortion?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just wondering, what are your thoughts on sex education?

As far as books go, there were a lot of them written a long time ago. I don't follow any of them on the basis of blind faith.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I think we need abortions to be free, paid for by the U.S. Gov. They subsidize a lot of stupid projects, so one that actually does some good for this country would work for me.

Every government kills people. Might as well get rid of "the problem" before it starts.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by Spud
Actually, it's based on science

sorry, too many holes. evolution is a "theory", not to be confused with a provable "fact". why do you think schools are deciding right now whether or not to allow it to be taught? because it can't be proven.

sorry, this is kind of off topic.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by manimal
sorry, too many holes. evolution is a "theory", not to be confused with a provable "fact". why do you think schools are deciding right now whether or not to allow it to be taught? because it can't be proven.

sorry, this is kind of off topic.
Good thing you brought it up, then.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by Spud
Evolution is clearly a theory. Unfortunately most Americans have no idea what a scientific theory is. Theories like gravity, nuclear fusion, nuclear fission, electromagnetic theory.... I'll respect people's religious views, but I'll bank on scientific theory.

Science Story for your fun...
I liked your other link better.:D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ok, lets make it hit home even more.. let's say MY WIFE is raped and conceives.
NO, that is not closer to "home." In my scenario YOU were raped. In yours, your wife was. Try that thought experiment again.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
First, what schools teach in ANY subject rarely has anything to do with fact. Pick up a highschool history book... Crap, even my Physics book was filled with hundreds of half truths.

The reason they're having a debate right now is because of zealot parents that are louder and less reasonable than most, and even that debate is only going on in a few select pockets of extremism.

You know what else is "theory?" Relativity, Newtonian, and quantum physics. Oddly enough, ALL of these theories conflict with each other, yet without them, you could not drive your car, talk on the phone, or join this messageboard. Just because they are not complete (Unified Field Theory) doesn't mean that they are on the same playing field as other theories. Some are better than others, and right now Evolution is by far, without a doubt, unquestionably, the best we've got.

But if you sleep better at night believing Humans are singular beings, and the height of God's creation, then keep on believing.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Originally posted by ohio
NO, that is not closer to "home." In my scenario YOU were raped. In yours, your wife was. Try that thought experiment again.
well, i suppose i'm just not as selfish as some. to me, knowing that my own wife was violated and had to bare the rapists child is worse than anything that could ever be done to me. it's the same as if something is done to your kids, you would rather have it happen to you than to your own flesh and blood (if you don't have them you wouldn't understand).

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by ohio

You know what else is "theory?" Relativity, Newtonian, and quantum physics. Oddly enough, ALL of these theories conflict with each other, yet without them, you could not drive your car, talk on the phone, or join this messageboard. Just because they are not complete (Unified Field Theory) doesn't mean that they are on the same playing field as other theories. Some are better than others, and right now Evolution is by far, without a doubt, unquestionably, the best we've got.

Hey, if you're into the Unified Field Theory, can you reccommend any good books? What do you think of the superstring theory?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ok, lets make it hit home even more.. let's say MY WIFE is raped and conceives. we would still have the child because that child knows nothing of how it came to be, it's not the mother's fault as much as it isn't the child's fault. we would raise that child as if it were our own. bad things happen in life, so should we exterminate the less vocal ones of our society to make it easier on ourselves? heck, i claim discrimination for the babies!

abortion can not be explained as anything but selfish.
i'd like to see how enthusiastic your wife would be about carrying the child of the man who raped her.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Originally posted by TN_Fred
i'd like to see how enthusiastic your wife would be about carrying the child of the man who raped her.
actually, we already had that discussion. do you think i'm dumb enough to speak for my wife without asking? c'mon, i've been married long enough to know better. she feels the same way i do.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Damn True
Ahhh the rape argument. Yawn.

what the hell is wrong with you. the rape argument is never an issue to yawn over no matter what context you are putting it in. it is a serious problem that has serious consequences. and with attitudes like yours we arent getting any closer to solving anything.

you've heard the argument before right. it bores you. so fvcking what. its valid to me because it could happen to me. it could happen to your mom or your girlie. until it could happen to you, you will never understand.
-

-LAURA

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
what the hell is wrong with you. the rape argument is never an issue to yawn over no matter what context you are putting it in. it is a serious problem that has serious consequences. and with attitudes like yours we arent getting any closer to solving anything.

you've heard the argument before right. it bores you. so fvcking what. its valid to me because it could happen to me. it could happen to your mom or your girlie. until it could happen to you, you will never understand.
-

-LAURA
THE POINT IS, IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO BE A COVER FOR ALL OF THE OTHER ABORTIONS. the rape thing is a grey area, but when it's used as a front to keep abortion legal.....it just isn't the same.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
the point is, some women shouldnt be punished because abortion is used as a form of birth control. thats like saying no one can use spray paint because some kids huff it and die, or no one should be aloowed to carry guns because some people kill other people with guns,

i think abortions are terrible and extremely sad. i have seen to many friends go through abortions. it has broken my heart every time. i could never do it (unless i was raped) but i will not have some one take away my right to have one.

-LAURA

oh yeah, i didnt say that the rape issue should be a cover for all other abortions. it is a valid reason to keep them legal though.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Okay, so there are few people here who think it is immoral to abort a child under pretty much any circumstances, including rape.

Many (if not all) of those people are right behind a war on Iraq where people will be killed. Including many who have not signed up for the job.

What a bunch of fvcking hypocrites.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
the point is, some women shouldnt be punished because abortion is used as a form of birth control. thats like saying no one can use spray paint because some kids huff it and die, or no one should be aloowed to carry guns because some people kill other people with guns,

i think abortions are terrible and extremely sad. i have seen to many friends go through abortions. it has broken my heart every time. i could never do it (unless i was raped) but i will not have some one take away my right to have one.

-LAURA

oh yeah, i didnt say that the rape issue should be a cover for all other abortions. it is a valid reason to keep them legal though.

Laura, I totally agree with you. I've given up banging my head against this particular wall, though.
There are 2 different issues when it comes to abortion.
1. The pro-lifers are talking about a baby.
2. The pro-choicers are talking about a woman.
I am all for taking my rights away so if I get raped I can hate that kid as much as the rapist.

Fluff, that's a good point you make.
Now, back to the lounge, where people don't take themselves so seriously.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Jesus
I think we need abortions to be free, paid for by the U.S. Gov. They subsidize a lot of stupid projects, so one that actually does some good for this country would work for me.

Every government kills people. Might as well get rid of "the problem" before it starts.
They aren't "problems" they are PEOPLE. You don't get rid of a person because they present an inconvienence.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001

-

-LAURA
Yawn, because it is statisticly irrelivant. Certainly not worthy of allowing MURDER as a form of birth control. Which, by and large, it is.

Inconvienant is not justification for MURDER.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Abo-MURDER-rtion should be illegal.

If a woman happens to get raped and happens to be impregnated (however unlikely) the police could administer an RU-486 within the first couple of days.

Ba-da-boom
Ba-da-bing

Does that work for everyone?

.....or do you still want the right to commit MURDER because a child, a human life, 1/2 of your DNA, presents a hassle to your current lifestyle.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by fluff
Okay, so there are few people here who think it is immoral to abort a child under pretty much any circumstances, including rape.

Many (if not all) of those people are right behind a war on Iraq where people will be killed. Including many who have not signed up for the job.

Ya, they are almost as bad the pro-abortion anti-death penalty crowd.:p

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by fluff

I hope that was not directed at me. If you think I want a war you are dead wrong.

If that was directed at me you can lick my sweaty ballsack you self important git!

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
arguement 3c

There would be no need for abortion if people quit humping for sport without contraceptives. Unlike most pro-lifers I realize people like to shag. So do so safely. Get a morning after pill. Keep it close by. If you have an oops take the pill. Better yet get sterilzed. Guys, wear a rubber. Girls it's your body, protect it!

Okay I'll shut up for now.

Oh, I still think people who murder can earn enough money to keep them locked away.

Prison Blues, am I the only person who liked these?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
There would be no need for abortion if people quit humping for sport without contraceptives. Unlike most pro-lifers I realize people like to shag. So do so safely. Get a morning after pill. Keep it close by. If you have an oops take the pill. Better yet get sterilzed. Guys, wear a rubber. Girls it's your body, protect it!
Fair enough. But you have to let people learn about it first. This means sex education has to consist of more than "Don't ****, it pisses God off." And we all know that won't fly in America today.

Abortion is a problem, it's not perfectly safe for the woman either. It is a surgery, and any surgery has risks. If we insist on keeping people (especially teenagers) uneducated, it's immoral to expect them to shoulder full responsibility for their actions.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by Silver
Fair enough. But you have to let people learn about it first. This means sex education has to consist of more than "Don't ****, it pisses God off." And we all know that won't fly in America today.

Abortion is a problem, it's not perfectly safe for the woman either. It is a surgery, and any surgery has risks. If we insist on keeping people (especially teenagers) uneducated, it's immoral to expect them to shoulder full responsibility for their actions.
I 100% agree.

I'll teach my daughters about my religious beliefs (prodestant Christian) and how to not get preggers untill they choose too.

As far as sex-ed goes I don't trust public or private education to teach my kids this stuff (I am old fashioned I think parents should be doing it) BUT I hope they (schools) are teaching about safe sex and emergency contraceptives because some parents don't do their job.

P.s.

My wife is a public school teacher, and I'm back in skool to become one.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by ummbikes
If capitol punishment (state sanctioned killing) is wrong, is abortion wrong too?

Discuss.
Capitol punishment-Yes
Abortion-Yes
Obvious that no one want's either, life isnt a fairy tale though. Live life and make your best decisions, but both are necessary. I pity those who judge and shun women who choose. Your marriage of the two extremely different topics, steers us into controversy from the gate. Subtly you insert your premise that abortion is murder. Talk about a loaded question.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by Skookum
Capitol punishment-Yes
Abortion-Yes
Obvious that no one want's either, life isnt a fairy tale though. Live life and make your best decisions, but both are necessary. I pity those who judge and shun women who choose. Your marriage of the two extremely different topics, steers us into controversy from the gate. Subtly you insert your premise that abortion is murder. Talk about a loaded question.
I respect what you are saying (not just lip service respect, but really respect).

The topic is loaded, but I was (am) trying to come to some concensus in my own thoughts on both issues. I really feel like sometimes a man should be flat out killed for his actions. This feeling is contrary to what I beleive religiously (thou shall not kill) but it's real I admit it. I'm still not convinced as a matter of law it's a good idea to execute people, because:

1. The death penalty doesn't seem to deter murder.

2. Inocent people could be killed.

Okay, say someone kills one of my daughters (I pray it never happens) I'm obviously going to be enraged and racked with sorrow and loss. I know the emotional parts of me would want revenge, hell, probably need revenge. That is a normal response I would suppose. I still fail to see how killing the murderer will help me deal with my grief and loss, unless I was able to literally kill the person myself. Which isn't how it works.

I'm not sorry I posted the topic, I learn a lot about the duality of myself and most people from reading people responces to the "loaded" questions of the world. I can see how intelligent people can hold diametricly opposing views on issues such as this and why I too seem to have views that clash with each other.

This forum has turned out to be a great place to have great intense heady debate with some intelligent people.The manner in which some "argue" is sometimes childish (me too, I get childish like everyone else) but overall people get a issued hashed out quite effciently and with tact.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Actually, I just re-read the thread, and I don't think anyone answered the original question. :)

If capitol punishment (state sanctioned killing) is wrong, is abortion wrong too?
Skookum came closest to it, but I'm going to have a kick at it...

If your question was phrashed "If killing is wrong, is abortion wrong too?" We have a different debate. Then we could actually get into the debate about when the fetus is a human, etc. But that isn't really your question.

The important part of your question is the part in brackets. For argument's sake, I'll agree that state sanctioned killing is wrong. Then I would also agree that abortion is wrong if it is mandated and forced by the state. The situation in China, for example, is abhorrent to me. I don't think that anyone should be forced by the state to have an abortion.

So yes, while ummbikes asked a loaded question, I didn't bother to read the question and just jumped right in. I apologize for that.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by eric strt6
DT my wife saw this tread and said two things, shut up until you grow a uterus and no way in hell I'm giving him the hockey tickets
i like the way your lady thinks. :D

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Actually, I just re-read the thread, and I don't think anyone answered the original question. :)
Hey hey I did! Sort of.

I don't think that anyone should be forced by the state to have an abortion.

Well sometimes the situation is so grave that a problem must be dealt with brutally. If the third child (or second?) is born, it will only add to the population problem and present a possible increase in that problem. Its better to destroy a few cells than to force a child to starve or become ill because they lack medical supplies/facilities.
Personally I don't think I will ever have more than one child because I would feel bad about screwing over the humans of the future by increasing the population and overtaxing our poor planet. So if my girlfirend/wife were to become pregnant, that could be a reason for having an abortion. just adding to the mix.