Quantcast

Dear Shimano, please make one of these.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I use one of these and it sucks. Button is too small, it rotates on your bars, and it's only more bar clutter. Incorporating it into the shifter would be clean and tidy and give you a solid start stop trigger.

The other moto timer I've seen is big and bulky...silly. A timer is such a simple device...

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Out of curiosity.... Is a timer on your bike during a race run @ a WC allowed? Wondering if Gwin had known he was 5+ sec up he might have let up a little and not crashed...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
There's no way you're glancing at that little screen even for a micro second at WC level race pace!

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
There's no way you're glancing at that little screen even for a micro second at WC level race pace!
probably true.... but if the technology is allowed--whats to prevent a heads up display in the corner of your goggles? or other techie $hit. downhill is often referred to as the F1 of cycling. if there are no rules in regards to electronics on the bike I could see lots of riders wanting their split times displayed to them somehow during a race.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
probably true.... but if the technology is allowed--whats to prevent a heads up display in the corner of your goggles? or other techie $hit. downhill is often referred to as the F1 of cycling. if there are no rules in regards to electronics on the bike I could see lots of riders wanting their split times displayed to them somehow during a race.
I agree, knowing your split time would be huge! I like the on board goggle display idea! :thumb:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Out of curiosity.... Is a timer on your bike during a race run @ a WC allowed? Wondering if Gwin had known he was 5+ sec up he might have let up a little and not crashed...
something tells me he's not going to take his eyes off the track to look at a bar mounted timer. this is where an earpiece or heads up goggle display would come into play.

i think during the race this weekend it was mentioned that TWR was looking at a board system like used in moto to give gwin an idea where he was. i believe they said something simple like a green board if he was up and a red if he was down - not time specific but enough to let him know if he needed to push or not.

A hud would be awesome, but would probably turn the races more tactic and less "passionate" - even more as the race gets longer.
If they knew they are several seconds ahead, or their rival is down, they would (probably) slow down instead of keep racing like mad.

As for the timer, it's not difficult to make one with an old watch. If it moves, use a small support (such as a carved block of foam/light wood/plastic) between the watch and bar.

A quote by Fabien Barel doesnt make it so.
Which quote?

PS: I'd prefer to see a compact and affordable alfine.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Sandwich...that is what I have.

Beast, I put some velcro underneath...that was the obvious fix, but it still doesn't like a good stabbing with your thumb so you have to finesse it, not what you need when you're manhandling a bike across a trigger point. Need something solid. It's hard to hit that little button crossing the line, and it doesn't have a very positive "click" to it either, so you're never sure if you hit it.

Our sport is measured by time, and we still don't have a decent self timer, and it's such a simple device...

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Awesome idea.
On the side note of Riders knowing their split times. I thought Trek was using spotters on the sides of the track showing Cards indicating if they were up or not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what about taking apart a timer, attaching it to part of the bike, then running wires and a new button close to the grip? you shouldn't need to look at the timer during your runs, but you might be able to figure something out....

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
whats wrong with the DMC besides it moving a bit for you?
The button...the button! It's too small and doesn't have a defined click.

It's hard to coordinate riding and trying to click that tiny button at the exact right spot to get an accurate time. Maybe it's just me. :D

Because it's kind of annoying to use, I end up not using it. But if it was as easy as making a shift, then I'd use it all the time.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
what about taking apart a timer, attaching it to part of the bike, then running wires and a new button close to the grip? you shouldn't need to look at the timer during your runs, but you might be able to figure something out....
Perhaps in my younger days I would have done this, but alas I have become one of those family men with a lawn to mow and no time to spare, apart from when I'm at work on a slow day...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is so much room for simple electronics in bikes right now. A few bluetooth enabled transmitters and an Android phone and you get get massive amounts of info about speed and power and cadence. A few really cheap accelerometers and position sensors built into your fork and shock and you could get detailed suspension data.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no money, huge overhead.

everything is made in china now, you have to commit to a million bajillion pieces (aka be shimano) in order to get it done. Joe schmo can't build a nice drop in unit for a fork cap with built in altimeter/gps/trail mapping software.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Freelap: $$$
Freelap for you a few friends: $$$$$$$

And that big moto unit above...that's exactly what I don't want mounted on my bike. Nor do I want some bodged up stopwatch hanging off of it.

I just want a tiny little timer with solid trigger button! It's $2 worth of Chinese electronics!

buildyourown: I agree. The other thing I'd like is a cheap race timing solution, which should be totally doable with modern electronics. $3000 for a Tag Heuer system where you have to run a cable up the mountain? Pulease! It should be like $200 for some basic modern tech to time riders. And yet no one has done it. (Could be used for all kinds of point to point racing...)

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
I really recommend the DRC x monitor. The button is incredibly easy to press and the beeps are nice and loud so you know for sure when it's going.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Why not just get a freelap systemm?
freelaps take setting up and taking down, a simple bar mounted system with precise buttons where you don't have to take your hands off the bars like Pslide is describing makes a ton of sense, imo. you could have it set to record splits at multiple sites to really see where you go fast or slow, easily implemented and relatively cheap with accurate timing.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
After taking one run with a sport timer on my bars I am thoroughly convinced that a device like this is the best performance mod you can make to your bike. As has already been pointed out- the sport timers are hard to use with gloves on while sprinting... but they really leave you wanting a better product.

Races are won by fractions of a section from amateur to world cup level events and you just can't get that level of accuracy with a faint button or by trying to look at your watch while you ride across the line. Something that has a positive engagement that you can actuate while sprinting with your eyes on the trail would be awesome.

I would buy one for sure. I would also wager that anyone riding with me would buy one just to know if they were faster or not.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I wish Zeal would make a set of their transcend goggles with a stopwatch feature built in, a button on the side of the strap would work for me, otherwise aside from being a double lens ski/ board goggle and being $500; a super cool idea. Watch this space.