Quantcast

Dave Mathews

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Ok, first of all Dave Mathews sucks donkey balls. He provides jam-band music for people who don't know what jam-band music is. He is jam-band music for people who shop at Abercrombie and Fitch. And, he is a pretentious, self-important a-hole. But I digress.....

Have ya heard about his new copy protected CD?
Put it in your car stereo and it works fine.
Put it in your home stero and it works fine.
Put it in your computer.....not so much.

That burns my biscuits. If I buy a CD I ought to be able to put it on my computer and copy the tracks that don't suck (which would elimnate everything Dave Mathews has ever recorded) to another CD for my car or to my iPod.

J

JRB

Damn True said:
Because it sets a precedent for the copy protection technology to be applied to CD's that don't suck.
Next thing you know, Metallica will be doing it too.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I actually like his first couple albums.

When did DMB become the target for such vitriolic hate?

-S.S.-
Fvkkin hippie.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I haven't heard anything of his since Crash. Has he gotten bad? Or is it just cool to hate him now?

-S.S.-
I don't have any idea. I don't listen to that garbage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
HAS HE GOTTEN BAD SINCE CRASH?!?!?! good lord...crash was the continuation of him sucking like nothing has ever sucked before...
From the music you seem to like, you really shouldn't be bashing anything.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What kind of copy protection is it? It may say on the cover. When I got the Velvet Revolver CD it had some new fangled copy protection on it. A 5 minute google search yielded a solution.

You are going to see more and more of this as time goes by. But remember that NO copy protection is foolproof. Run a search, I bet you find a solution.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Damn True said:
Ok, first of all Dave Mathews sucks donkey balls. He provides jam-band music for people who don't know what jam-band music is. He is jam-band music for people who shop at Abercrombie and Fitch. And, he is a pretentious, self-important a-hole. But I digress.....

That burns my biscuits. If I buy a CD I ought to be able to put it on my computer and copy the tracks that don't suck (which would elimnate everything Dave Mathews has ever recorded) to another CD for my car or to my iPod.

That's funny. My wife bought the new CD and I wanted to listen to it so I put it in the computer and ripped and put it on my mp3 player and I have played a couple of times. No problem at all.

As far a sucking goes this is a better album than the last but it is still well on the road to selling out.

side note:I have heard that if you take a black sharpie and paint the edge of the disc it will get rid of this copyright program. And if you paint the outside edge it will imprive the sound of the CD.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
You have no idea what I listen to, so you really aren't qualified to make that assumption. Sure I'm gonna listen to stuff other people think sucks...who cares...musical taste is a lot like ice cream...who gives a **** what you like or don't like? it's just an opinion...and my very strong opinion on DMB is they suck...I'd sit in silence before listening to that crap.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
I would have to say it is hostile indifference for me. Hippie-jam band music does zero for me, and the fact that many people annoint him as some rock and roll god is irritating. I think that is the source of the hatred from most people.

Many of the bands I love (like The Jesus Lizard) I know most people don't know or don't like, and I don't bother trying to explain it to anyone.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
He helped break the music trend out of the Grunge era and into one that was a little more chill and less defined... regardless, hit first 2 widely released studio albums were pretty good (crash and unter the table), then it was landslide downhill from there as he sold his soul to corporate America. As for abercrombe... I dint think he drew that crowd on purpose.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Also I have a stronger but similar reaction to Green Day, given that their, ahem, peers are virtually unknown outside the punk world, and that even I can tell the DMB has more musical talent.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
golgiaparatus said:
He helped break the music trend out of the Grunge era and into one that was a little more chill and less defined...
I think Kirk Cobain's suicide ended the Grunge scene. All the other popular bands from that era unravelled on their own, unrelated to his death.

If anything, DMB came on the wave of jam bands, which has more to do with the end of the Greatful Dead than anything else.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
I wouldn't knock country music...I may become a fan myself after seeing this country fella on tv called Phil Vassar...jeeeebus...no mtn biker or snowboarder has anything on that guy...he was friggin HOT...
So let me get this straight. You base your opinion on music based on how hot the musician is? :think:

I guess it takes all kinds.... :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Westy said:

Amen. DHGirlie aren't you the one that went and seen Audioslave? Please, Audioslave...They f***ing suck! The four members of Rage should be ashamed of themselves for being in that band.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Ciaran said:
What kind of copy protection is it? It may say on the cover. When I got the Velvet Revolver CD it had some new fangled copy protection on it. A 5 minute google search yielded a solution.

You are going to see more and more of this as time goes by. But remember that NO copy protection is foolproof. Run a search, I bet you find a solution.

I think I got that too. But I didn't have to do anything to get it to work. I think once you put the disc in and it goes out to the internet and opens a website then you're good to go. I think it did all of that automatically.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Damn True said:
Be happy that his fans will be unable to spread this crap as easily as they once were.

He's certainly not the first one doing it, and I think the act it self is BS, but I could care less if some DMB fan can't play his CD on some equipment. In fact, I rejoice! :devil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had a generally so so opionion ont DMB until moving to Charlottesville. Since Dave got his start here his crap is overplayed constantly.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
BUCKET said:
Amen. DHGirlie aren't you the one that went and seen Audioslave? Please, Audioslave...They f***ing suck! The four members of Rage should be ashamed of themselves for being in that band.

What were they supposed to do? Follow Zach down a path to nowheresville? So they are making more radio friendly music now, at least they are doing something.

Where is Zach on a mission to find the bones of Che?

Please.

J

JRB

BUCKET said:
What exactly do you listen too?
Various genres. I do listen to some country. Mostly old, or indepent stuff. I listen to some radio, like Lucy, Fred, Ethel, and such on XM. I don't listen to any mainstream stuff, really.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
BUCKET said:
Yeah I sure did...and I like em...a lot of people do...just cuz you don't like em doesn't mean it ain't any good...but to maintain good relations, it's kinda like this...lets say that I like Rum Raisin ice cream...and you HATE it...are you gonna get all worked up about it and go...YOU LIKE RUM RAISIN ICE CREAM....PLEASE, RUM RAISIN ICE CREAM...IT F**CKING SUCKS! The manufacturers (all three of them...not four) should be ashamed of themselves for making such a horrific flavor...

silly, isn't it? Who cares who likes what...as for dmb and the rest of the stupid ass music threads...read my signature...I realy do hate dmb though...so that would fall into my serious side...

Everyones always so uptight about music...so what if you don't like what someone else likes...just cuz one person likes it...doesn't mean they're any better than anyone else...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hawkeye said:
What were they supposed to do? Follow Zach down a path to nowheresville? So they are making more radio friendly music now, at least they are doing something.

Where is Zach on a mission to find the bones of Che?

Please.
That Zach character was a looney, but he defined RATM. I hear an AS song recently and I could hear RATM until that numbnut started singing. :p

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Damn True said:
Because it sets a precedent for the copy protection technology to be applied to CD's that don't suck.
this has already happened. my friend bought the last beastie boys cd in ireland, and the copy protection thing prevented it from playing in his car.

of course, the "CD's that don't suck" criterion could be harshly applied here. someone played "Sabotage" the other day, and it was frightening to think how closely it sounded like Gilbert Godfried.