Quantcast

Danny Hart's World Champ Dirty Dans

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
tires are only a small part of the winning recipe, most of it is the rider.
That goes without saying. Small parts eventually add up to a whole. I believe that these seemingly minor details can give a rider confidence to perform to their fullest, and in such a mental sport, confidence is key. I'm sure Danny would've won with stock tires, but these are so cool!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The schwalbe article says they had different rubber for the cold temps. Perhaps less slow rebound so they don't stiffen up or stay deformed too long?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
tires are only a small part of the winning recipe, most of it is the rider.
In terms of kit, they're the biggest part imho. Tyres and suspension. Everything else pales into insignificance. Who cares if you're on sram or shimano, or what brakes you have, or how high your bars are?

But if your tyres grip better (or roll faster), or they're in contact with the ground for more of the time... that's a massive advantage.

I'd love to know exactly what tyres he was on. What compound, what cut, what pressure, whether he was tubeless or not, what rims (tyre profile), etc etc. Whatever he had on, it seemed to work :)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
They were crazy soft, and just about every senior pro on a team sponsored by Schwalbe got them (Including Yeti's Shaun O'Connor).

Of course, in those awful conditions, even the tires weren't that big of a factor. As Mick Hannah said, "The only two guys really racing were Hart and Gwin. The rest of us were just holding on."

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
They were crazy soft, and just about every senior pro on a team sponsored by Schwalbe got them (Including Yeti's Shaun O'Connor).

Of course, in those awful conditions, even the tires weren't that big of a factor. As Mick Hannah said, "The only two guys really racing were Hart and Gwin. The rest of us were just holding on."
reading that quote really bums me out thinking about gwin crashing - still wonder how close he would have been to hart with a clean(ish) run. i think hart would have still taken it but i wonder how far back gwin would have been.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
reading that quote really bums me out thinking about gwin crashing - still wonder how close he would have been to hart with a clean(ish) run. i think hart would have still taken it but i wonder how far back gwin would have been.
Meh.

Rock Jesus got funnybucked™ on something coming into that bridge. Maybe he slid off line, maybe he just fvcked up his speed and body position. I can guarantee that both riders had their respective sponsors' absolute best underneath them for that race. Even on ridemonkey it's good to remember the most important component is the rider. Hart rode a good clean race and maybe Rock Jesus couldn't do the same at the personal pace it would have required to match or beat it. As they say in Texas, c'est la vie.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Meh.

Rock Jesus got funnybucked™ on something coming into that bridge. Maybe he slid off line, maybe he just fvcked up his speed and body position. I can guarantee that both riders had their respective sponsors' absolute best underneath them for that race. Even on ridemonkey it's good to remember the most important component is the rider. Hart rode a good clean race and maybe Rock Jesus couldn't do the same at the personal pace it would have required to match or beat it. As they say in Texas, c'est la vie.
:rofl:
+ Rep to you sir

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Meh.

Did you see Minaar gap on to the bridge at the same spot avoiding the funnybucked™? He was the only one I saw gaping there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
~no matter how many times I've ridden the track, I still can't fathom how Minnaar managed to hop that entire flat horrible rock garden at the top of Fort William a few years back, the guy has super powers when it comes to air!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
~no matter how many times I've ridden the track, I still can't fathom how Minnaar managed to hop that entire flat horrible rock garden at the top of Fort William a few years back, the guy has super powers when it comes to air!
clip? I probably clear half of it, so I can believe it, but I don't fathom how he would be able to get around the corner after it if he cleared the whole section? :D