Quantcast

Da bomb lg1

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
You mean the patents. I am sure DWwill begin to lay the smack down any time now.
don't US patents apply only in the us? da bomb is a canadian company so they won't be able to sell it in the us, but they still can sell it without legal action i think. although you probably know more about the coverage of the patents than i do so i could be wrong.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
DuhBommmbuh hasalwaysbeensocuttingedgeandhighendlovetheirstuff socoollikeitalothugemarketsharenowaitsoangryripoffdesignsnotcool!
somebodystopthesemadmenit'sgonetoofar!Ohwaititdoesn'treallymatterbecause...

nobody will buy da bomb anyway.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
don't US patents apply only in the us? da bomb is a canadian company so they won't be able to sell it in the us, but they still can sell it without legal action i think. although you probably know more about the coverage of the patents than i do so i could be wrong.
You don't apply for your patents only in the US though, you apply worldwide. You are correct about the sales parts. This is how Devinci sold FSR bikes in Canada, but not in the US.

CMAC

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Yay Area, CA
DuhBommmbuh hasalwaysbeensocuttingedgeandhighendlovetheirstuff socoollikeitalothugemarketsharenowaitsoangryripoffdesignsnotcool!
somebodystopthesemadmenit'sgonetoofar!Ohwaititdoesn'treallymatterbecause...

nobody will buy da bomb anyway.

Yea... until they copy a v10 and have a DaBomb VeeTen. Id buy one.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont think e13 can sue them unless they claim their chain guide does what an e13 does and use e13s terminology for their technology. you dont see whoever invented the single pivot suing every other bike manufacturer. but if some other maker was to claim that their design was an atlas or has spi then there would be trouble.

it doesn't really matter anyways, everyone knows that when you want performance you get e13.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i dont think e13 can sue them unless they claim their chain guide does what an e13 does and use e13s terminology for their technology. you dont see whoever invented the single pivot suing every other bike manufacturer. but if some other maker was to claim that their design was an atlas or has spi then there would be trouble.

it doesn't really matter anyways, everyone knows that when you want performance you get e13.
That's because no one patented the single pivot, the pivot placement, or the reason it does what it does.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
That's because no one patented the single pivot, the pivot placement, or the reason it does what it does.
I'm pretty sure you actually couldn't patent a single pivot if you wanted to because of its simplicity. It is the most basic way of doing what it does. Just like you can't patent a door or something equally as basic. I think you would need to try to patent something specific to a certain model bike given its dimensions, maybe like the axle path. I dn though. Just thinking out loud.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
^Waddiya mean? All the doors stuff is copyrighted!
Not "The Doors," I mean, a door...on the front of your house. No one is collecting royalties every time a door is made.

The characteristics that are to be taken into consideration, according to the patent codes, are an items, "novelty, utility, and non-obviousness"

I'm not a patent lawyer but I think an argument could be made for the fact that putting a pivot on a chain-stay to make a bike's suspension could be deemed somewhat obvious, even if you move that pivot to different locations. What would be specific to each bike design, however, would be the axle path created by that different pivot placement, or maybe some goofy linkage to actual the shock at a different ratio.

Seriously, i'm guessing here. Any bike designers want to comment....*cough* dw *cough*

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm pretty sure you actually couldn't patent a single pivot if you wanted to because of its simplicity. It is the most basic way of doing what it does. Just like you can't patent a door or something equally as basic. I think you would need to try to patent something specific to a certain model bike given its dimensions, maybe like the axle path. I dn though. Just thinking out loud.
True. However, You could patent the exact pivot placement in regards to where the chainring is to achieve the effects it would have on pedaling.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
True. However, You could patent the exact pivot placement in regards to where the chainring is to achieve the effects it would have on pedaling.
Ah, yea. You would effectively be patenting your pedaling characteristics as a result of your pivot placement. Sounds specific enough to work. Like I said, the stuff interests me, but i'm not an expert by any means.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Just an update. We finally got a few of these, the ones I ended up with first aren't even labeled a brand name. They are ISCG 05 these particular ones and are pretty basic. The wheel just runs on a bushing and plastic looks pretty nasty. But for the price they are fine for kids bikes and installation was fine.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
So if anyone does patent it, no one would be able to make a bike with the same pivot placement? even if the desing of the whole bike is different (but still a single pivot)?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
WHO DA BOMB IRON CROSS SO GNARCORE!!!

i will never buy something from this company based on this alone. (not like i would anyway) :twitch:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
geez e13 should just license it out like macneil does with the pivotal seat/post system. dw would be swimming in it like jay miron is. jay even had a cribs episode i think...baller

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA

No bicycle company could dream of patenting single-pivot, since it was on motorcycles dating back almost to the turn of the century.

Whoever did not patent (or do it carefully enough) the whole concept of the boomerang must be kicking themselves about now.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
WOW, A chainguide is a flat piece of metal or composite... They are all going to look the same! Who cares???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WOW, A chainguide is a flat piece of metal or composite... They are all going to look the same! Who cares???
Quite possibly the people spending lots of time and money on research, development, testing and production?

Also, before the SRS and the Supercharger, did you see any like that? How about the LG1 with Taco?

Didn't think so.

Are you aware of how much time, money and research when into developing the current polycarbonate (Tuffmax) used in the e.13 superchargers?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
No bicycle company could dream of patenting single-pivot, since it was on motorcycles dating back almost to the turn of the century.

Whoever did not patent (or do it carefully enough) the whole concept of the boomerang must be kicking themselves about now.
Actually, they probably could for it's bicycle purposes. go have a quick look at the patent office.

1 suspension system in particular we all know of is patented both for bicycle and motor vehicle applications with some minor changes.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Are you aware of how much time, money and research when into developing the current polycarbonate (Tuffmax) used in the e.13 superchargers?
And what makes it so much better than any other polycarbonate? Other than its ability to bend cranks. What a great design.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
And what makes it so much better than any other polycarbonate? Other than its ability to bend cranks. What a great design.
It has quite a few difference to other polycarbonates. This is why they are no longer made of Makrolon as they used to be ages ago.

It's good to know you have no idea about what you are talking about though. Thanks for making us all aware for future reference.

BTW next time you have a question like use, use the search. DW has discussed this more than once.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Just guessing since I haven't specifically discussed it with Dave, but I would guess they improved the impact properties, added something to reduce chemical degradation and added UV stabilizer. Regular Polycarb would break if someone oiled the chain and then bashed it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
top one's obviously a ripoff........but this looks intriguing

Is it just me or is that two independently moving boomerang pieces?

Looks like you could swing the top part to 12 o'clock for a 1 ring guide or towards 2 o'clock for a dual ring guide. Plus the added little grove to slide the top part around....

This is probably a "catalog" piece, so who else has seen one of these from whatever other brand might be putting their logo on it?

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
It has quite a few difference to other polycarbonates. This is why they are no longer made of Makrolon as they used to be ages ago.

It's good to know you have no idea about what you are talking about though. Thanks for making us all aware for future reference.

BTW next time you have a question like use, use the search. DW has discussed this more than once.
If one statement that you don't agree with negates everything I say in the future, we must be in the same boat after your statements that I SEARCHED for in a guys shock tuning thread about HSC vs. LSC tuning.

Cheers.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Isn't Tuffmax what Skyways are (or were) made of? Hence the Tuff? Can't find any evidence of it online but it's jammed in my memory that way.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
we smashed various manufacturers plastic bashguards to see which held up the best. one had spider cracks throughout after the first hit, and shattered 2 hits later. lexan is NOT an adequate material for bashguards...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well we all know who the one and only in chain guides is... Let the phonies do their thing. Anyone who knows anything about chainguides knows e.thirteen is the company to go to... They have practically the entire market covered and who knowss what their up to as of now....