Quantcast

Crazy Drivetrain Thread

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
Alright, there are not enough threads about drivetrains, particularly unique drivetrains. Before I set up my drivetrain, I looked around for any information I could find about three, four, and five speed drivetrains. I figured I wanted to run a dishless hub for strength and stiffness, and in order to run this hub I could not fit a full 9 speed cassette. I found out that the Hadley SS hub can fit a few cogs on there, so I had a wheelset built up with a couple of these hubs. I took apart a Sram cassette and put 14, 16, 18, 21, and 24 tooth cogs on there and still had room for an extra spacer. Then, all I had to do was set the limiting screws on the derailleur and, magically, a 5 speed drivetrain appeared! Here's the pics:

I'm running this setup with a 36T chainwheel up front and this gives me a pretty good range of ratios. I'm really happy with the dishless wheel. It's a heck of a lot stiffer than my old 9 speed wheel. Also, the chain doesn't stretch as much side-to-side so that's another bonus. Enough talking, let's see some more drivetrains.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I'll have pics next week of my 3 speed DOC. I have to wait for a new driveside dropout from evil. I also have to figure out the best gearing.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
This thread is a great idea. I am so sick of the rear derailleur, it has to be the worst invention ever to last 100 years. I've gone through about 4 r/d's this year and bent the dropout on my Free at least 6 times. I did a bunch of research on a Rohloff but it's a very complicated conversion for a bike that's already built, involving custom spacers for 150mm, new rotor, shifter, wheel re-build, etc. By years end I'll be riding a Saint r/d bolted up to my Hadley and sram triggers. My next big bike will have some sort of gearbox, which is what I'd love to see on this thread.

Anybody ever run SS in back with a tensioner, and 2 rings up front?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Dusty Bottoms said:
This thread is a great idea. I am so sick of the rear derailleur, it has to be the worst invention ever to last 100 years. I've gone through about 4 r/d's this year and bent the dropout on my Free at least 6 times. I did a bunch of research on a Rohloff but it's a very complicated conversion for a bike that's already built, involving custom spacers for 150mm, new rotor, shifter, wheel re-build, etc. By years end I'll be riding a Saint r/d bolted up to my Hadley and sram triggers. My next big bike will have some sort of gearbox, which is what I'd love to see on this thread.

nope, but i thought about it.

i also wanted to run two rings in the front and in the back that generated approx the same chainlength. one combo for climbing hills, and one for bombing. i could then use an adjustable dropout frame (like the DOC) to swap ratios depending on the terrain. it would be functional single speed, but with the ability to change ratios mid-ride without taking too much time. it would work in a place with long climbs, followed by long downhill runs.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Not very crazy but a little different. First I'm using the lower chainguide pully as a tensioner. I am running an 18t rear cog with two 21t cogs spaced out on either side with the teeth ground off. The chain has never come off or given me any troubles since.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
So I had a Nexus-8, but it died quickly, so until the gearbox I think I'll run ss.

Here's my setup with Carve custom chainguide, pedals, etc. The tensioner is from a Roo-X chainguide, mounted on a long bolt through the FSR pivot. The spring is from a desk lamp. Add a couple custom CNC'ed disks for the rear cog and the system's been 100% bomber since July. Nice and tucked up so it doesn't hit anything. Lots of spring tension so the chain doesn't slap. Quiet.

It will have to do for now.

I dream about gearboxes.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i love that 5 speed setup. im thinking about doing that now on my imp when i get some new wheels for it.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
motomike said:
Not very crazy but a little different. First I'm using the lower chainguide pully as a tensioner. I am running an 18t rear cog with two 21t cogs spaced out on either side with the teeth ground off. The chain has never come off or given me any troubles since.
What are the two toothless rear cogs for?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
EVRAC said:

Here's my setup with Carve custom chainguide, pedals, etc. The tensioner is from a Roo-X chainguide, mounted on a long bolt through the FSR pivot. The spring is from a desk lamp. Add a couple custom CNC'ed disks for the rear cog and the system's been 100% bomber since July. Nice and tucked up so it doesn't hit anything. Lots of spring tension so the chain doesn't slap. Quiet.

It will have to do for now.

I dream about gearboxes.
exelent work guys, I run two sprockets and two chainrings before, but some of the inovations on this tread are pretty interesting , i like EVRAC aproach because it looks almost redundant and every issue is being adress , also the little Evil with the two gears look awesome..

please keep them coming, this is the kind of tread that actually end up making a diference.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
These are some nice drivetrain setups (I especially like that 3 speed on the Imp SL). It's also good to see some single speed full suspension bikes. Are there any Brooklyn riders out there running single speed? I know that can be done easily. Keep them coming.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have a woodman ss hub
with 3 cogs and a old shimano threaded 12t to lock them on making a 4 speed rear with 12-16-20-24. i love not shifting as much.
so few gears but i am alway in a good size i can push.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
bcd said:
i have a woodman ss hub
with 3 cogs and a old shimano threaded 12t to lock them on making a 4 speed rear with 12-16-20-24. i love not shifting as much.
so few gears but i am alway in a good size i can push.

I am doing something similar, but I was unsure of the gear range. Does the derailleur shift smoothly? What size chain ring are you using?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
swerve76 said:
I am doing something similar, but I was unsure of the gear range. Does the derailleur shift smoothly? What size chain ring are you using?
yeah it shifts fine.

i have a 36 in my park/dj bike.

good luck

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
motomike said:
The chain has no chances of coming off. I've tried to derail the chain but it won't. Works good and gets the "look" by other bikers.

you mean it works well? What are they teaching kids these days? ;)

I like what you guys have done here, looks good! I never would have thought of gearing a SS hub. :think:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
nice set up. my bcd inedible is set up similar. it has a 160mm razor rock hub cut down to fit only 6 cogs. it is also zero dish.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
actually about 8 years ago i modified 3 XT seven speed hubs for single speed dutty, ussing SiX speed shimano cassete bodys (the ones that feature the lock ring treads on the outside surface) that I machine as much as possible but leaving about about 4 millimiters of treads so i can use a old school Bottom bracket lock ring,,,,, (yes they are the same exact tread pitch and diameter) making the casette body about 22mm wide, to complete the re-aligment I just place a spacer on the left side of the hub.

the end result I end up with a 135MM hub that was ONE Milimiter away from being dishless but for all practical terms the spokes share equal and even tension, i have this wheels for years of trashing and they still perfect...

also my friend JP Morgen in San francisco use to make "Wide shell hubs" by cutting XT hubs and welding a spacer in the middle to achive a even widder shell with better (well more) triangulation.

and then remenber the genius of Doug bradbury, founder of the REAL MaNiToU company before he sold his stakes to Answer products and his ASIMETRICAL Aproach to frame building..

not to long ago i saw one his incredible creation on E-bay and i copy the whole add on my foto gallery since was just a piece of history

some pictures

I dream about this frame for a long long time, the inovations were incredible, totally out of the box for the time.

here is the 145MM hub, made dishless by building the frame with asimetrical chainstays

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Lumagent - which SRAM cassette did you use?

I just got one of those Hadley SS hubs for my urban bike. They are so versatile (and smooth and fast and beautiful).

I have it set-up SS for now, but may go for a 3-speed set-up sometime next year. I'm thinking of using 2 or 3 of the new stackable steel Surly cogs (they are expensive though).

Now that I know it fits 6 9-speed cogs, I may eventually go with this hub for my trail bike in a couple years.

-r

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
patineto said:
not to long ago i saw one his incredible creation on E-bay and i copy the whole add on my foto gallery since was just a piece of history

some pictures

I dream about this frame for a long long time, the inovations were incredible, totally out of the box for the time.

here is the 145MM hub, made dishless by building the frame with asimetrical chainstays

i saw that on ebay too.

was quite a find for some collector

sold for almost $2500!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doug-Bradbury-built-Manitou-not-Cunningham-not-Mantis_W0QQitemZ7197979346QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
bcd said:
I saw the frame the day was posted with a $250 bid, but i stop looking, because i did not have the money to buy and I will feel like sh^t if i did not..

i got to ride on a few of them and they handle really well, but more than anything was the "Historical value" that atract me.

I also have the chance to buy a few Cunninham's over the years, can you believe a 25 year old aluminum frame can still go for $5000 well used,,,!?!?

for those of you that don't know Charly cunninham was one of the creators of WTB many years ago (Hell he was one of the creators of the mountain biking movement) one of the most incredible design studios in the bicycle history, currentlly just another brand that gets everything made in taiwan,,,

man times do change

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Dusty Bottoms said:
Yeah, back in the day I used to run two rings and a junk derailleur stretched tight in the back on my BMX bike. It gave me a nice snappy start and more gear inches to pull for longer distance hauling. Worked GREAT! :thumb:

Nov 26, 2001
Lincoln Woods
This is a good thread. I did not realize you could pack that many gears onto the SS Hadley hub. Real clean and makes for a strong wheel build. I think i will convert the rear wheel on my HT this winter.

As for BMW's done is SS fashion, sure makes for a clean setup. Here are a couple pics of my SS style BMW minilink. A 14-speed Rohloff mated to a BMW, a match made in heaven.

Attachments

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
VERY Very cool ! beautiful mini

StinkyKonaGuy said:
This is a good thread. I did not realize you could pack that many gears onto the SS Hadley hub. Real clean and makes for a strong wheel build. I think i will convert the rear wheel on my HT this winter.

As for BMW's done is SS fashion, sure makes for a clean setup. Here are a couple pics of my SS style BMW minilink. A 14-speed Rohloff mated to a BMW, a match made in heaven.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nice on the mini. what a beautiful way to setup the cables on the left side, is that a custom mount after the fender there??

Nov 26, 2001
Lincoln Woods
DHS said:
nice on the mini. what a beautiful way to setup the cables on the left side, is that a custom mount after the fender there??
Custom mount i bent up out of 3/16 dia. rod, drilled out a handfull of holes and then mounted to the fender mount tab. Makes for a tangle-free mess for the Rohloff cables. Nice and neat and tucked out of harms way. Shifting is smooth and flawless.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
StinkyKonaGuy said:

Why don't you get rid of the extra chain rollers. They are unnecessary on your set-up and it would look even more clean.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Metal said:
Why don't you get rid of the extra chain rollers. They are unnecessary on your set-up and it would look even more clean.
Sanjay, do you still have that 3 speed rear set-up? (I think it was 3 speeds) Post a picture up of it if you can.