Quantcast

Crazy Drivetrain Thread

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Lumagent Morple said:
I agree with Metal. If you did take off the rollers that would have to be the perfect setup for a FS. Clean, very clean.
looks like the bottom roller is taking up alittle slack in the chain making the upper necessary.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
Sanjay, do you still have that 3 speed rear set-up? (I think it was 3 speeds) Post a picture up of it if you can.
Mike,

Yeah, i still have that 3-speed rear. It has now been on 3 bikes, The Tazer, the Spyder and now on the BlackMakrel. It is just like RD's. He got the idea from me, but his is 10x's more bling. I just need to get a can of gold pray paint and mine will be up there with his.
I will post a pic on Monday. I am heading out to Glamis right after work and will have no access to the bike till I get home.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Jimmy_Pop said:
looks like the bottom roller is taking up alittle slack in the chain making the upper necessary.
I see a chain tensioner at the dropout. It seems like if it is there it is not doing anything. I vote you get ride of it.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Metal said:
Mike,

Yeah, i still have that 3-speed rear. It has now been on 3 bikes, The Tazer, the Spyder and now on the BlackMakrel. It is just like RD's. He got the idea from me, but his is 10x's more bling. I just need to get a can of gold pray paint and mine will be up there with his.
I will post a pic on Monday. I am heading out to Glamis right after work and will have no access to the bike till I get home.
I gotz nuttin' against yours :love:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Metal said:
Why don't you get rid of the extra chain rollers. They are unnecessary on your set-up and it would look even more clean.
when i tried my setup @ whistler without the lower roller, i couldn't keep the chain on. i'm assuming that because the chain run is so long, it bounces & deflects enough to derail. the silent (no chainslap) drivetrain is pretty cool though.

thats a super sanitary rohloff install, skg - nice work.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
StinkyKonaGuy said:
This is a good thread. I did not realize you could pack that many gears onto the SS Hadley hub. Real clean and makes for a strong wheel build. I think i will convert the rear wheel on my HT this winter.

As for BMW's done is SS fashion, sure makes for a clean setup. Here are a couple pics of my SS style BMW minilink. A 14-speed Rohloff mated to a BMW, a match made in heaven.
You know, I've been waiting a while for someone to do what you did. Very very cool.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Here's one of a dual chain drivetrain...

Not as clean as you'd normally want it but it works well!!
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=508955

I was trying to figure out if I could lock out the rear freehub body and keep it spinning constantly and only rely on the Rohloff's 'freehub' mechanism...kinda like the new GT bike and new Nicolai G-boxx bikes. Right now I have to deal with the rear hub engagement hesitation as well as the Rohloff's.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I saw one somewere but I can not find it...

the guy install two freewheels ones goes the convensional way, the other one in reverse, the idea is that one of them gets engage as ussual, but when you want to get into the other gear, he just pedal backwards,,,

oviuslly the chain needs to be routed in a certain way for this to work, actually he even have a Video of it that is really fun, i keep looking for it.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
patineto said:
I saw one somewere but I can not find it...

the guy install to freewheels ones goes the convensional way, the other one in reverse, the idea is that one of them gets engage as ussual, but when wnat to get into the other gear, he just papel backwards,,,

oviuslly the chain needs to be routed in a certain way for this to work, actually he even have a Video of it that is really fun, i keep looking for it.

wow, that sounds really cool. Keep looking around for it, i'd definantly like to see it!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
It is not attached to anything. It just sits between the chain and the tension is supposed to hold it in place.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Its called a phantom gear.

so what exactly does it accomplish? When I first saw it I figured it was for chain tension, but..... wouldn't you still have the same problems as you do without the cog in there? :confused:

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
PepperJester said:
my crazy drive train

wow great idea,,,,
that sistem is use On tandems a lot to control the tension of the timing chain, but your discovery makes it a lot more useful and wide spread, i bet you can even have 2or3 teeth diference and the chain ring can take care of it,, hell you can even have more than one size chainring if you need a wider spread, also i don't see why not will not work for a fix wheel bike , since most of the chain tensioners are uselessin that aplication

congratulation awesome discovery..

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
bcd said:
Holy schit. I wonder how much my Charlie Cunningham 94' WTB would go for if I still had it. God why did I sell that bike. The geo on that frame was custom, spec'ed by a friend of mine. Had a 16 inch seat tube with a 23.5 inch tt, highish BB, it was a perfect east coast bike. Probably the best bike I've ever owned, and I replaced it with a damn stumpjumper.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
TheInedibleHulk said:
I've ever owned, and I replaced it with a damn stumpjumper.
Sorry for saying this but....
DummA^^...:)
but I don't need to tell you, I'm sure you know...

You trade a Cunningham,,,man at least think about it this way, you got to Ride a Magic carpet, at least from some time..

for some History..
this Charlie Guy lives in a Town call fairfax in california, actually about 4 miles away from the famous "Re-pack" trail (the first ever Mountain bike meka)

well this guys like Charlie Kelly, steve potts and Joe brezze among a few others were super creative and start to modied this "Clunkers" into Up and Down machines (before that the climp on a truck at the top of the Hill kind of like you do today with a 50pound bike, anyway the one that took the cake in terms of avangard design was mister Cunningham,, to give you a idea a decent "Production" Mountain bike in the early 80s, will cost about $350 and tip the scales at about 45 pound,, yes no shocks, forks, not even that many gears only five sprockets and 3 chainring, the geometry was also kind of a "Road" derivated square,,, aka a 20' frame feature pretty much a 20' top tube,,, Charlie's bike on the other hand were pretty much the first frame made out of aluminum (at the time a little more complicated to work with do to the after welding heat treatment require), anyway his bikes were about 25 pounds, silver kind of polish aluminum to tell you the truth the welds were not even that great, but the Geometry, oh man steep head angles, slope top tubes and super long top tubes,,, is like Charlie got to travel on a time machine 20 years in the future,, (They kind of did, if you get my drift after all was the 80"s) yes that much avangarde,,, also the price tag was a little out of hand, i remenber reading one of the first side by side buyers guide ever in 1983, most of the bikes were kind of the same, some far more expensive that others do to the fact they were custom build and hand made, but when you open the Page with his bike your body just fall backwards, for two very basic reason,, on one side the bikes were amazing and super sexy and then because if you want to buy a "Cunninham Indian (one of the trail models) will cost you about $5,500 dollars that in today money most be at least $17,000/$20,000,,, but you know what they were that Cool

needless to say I dream about one ever since...

Now lets resume the current Program...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I think I was 17 when I sold that bike. I had it for a couple years and then wanted some lighter because I was racing XC at the time. In my defense, I was poor and it was a heavy bike at almost 5 pounds. Still, I wish I could make that into a trail bike right now. If anyone out there ever sees a red WTB with a "carbon fiber" sticker on the seatstay, say hi for me.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
TheInedibleHulk said:
I think I was 17 when I sold that bike. I had it for a couple years and then wanted some lighter because I was racing XC at the time. In my defense, I was poor and it was a heavy bike at almost 5 pounds. Still, I wish I could make that into a trail bike right now. If anyone out there ever sees a red WTB with a "carbon fiber" sticker on the seatstay, say hi for me.
OH that makes a lot more sense, since Charlie stop making bikes a lot time ago, i was wondering about the 94' you mension,,,,,

your frame was Not A Cunningham, but a WTB Pheonix made of steel by steve poots at a little workshop at the WTB "factory" (distribution warehouse this days for all the taywanese stuff they sell ) those frames still great but not even close in pedigry to a original Cunningham frames, the bikes that charlie made don't even go to E-bay, the are ussually sold in between friends and to japanese, swiss and german collectors and they ussually fetch $7,000 to $8000 if not more a piece if they are in good shape and feature the hand made roller cam brakes and the beatyful Gussneck stem, and even more if they are complete with the Suntour XC-pro prototype parts,,, believe me you will know if you see one, the welds are "nasty", the gussets kind of crucket and the aluminum is always vare (they will Linch you if you paint one).

don't worry you did not do so bad, the WTB still a Incredible riding machine and maybe in a few years will become a collectors item since mister Potts does not make them anymore..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
on a side note many years ago i got the chance to ride a Very Vintage bike equiped with one of the very early campanolo two speed sistems, on this bike to change the gear you will reach down close to the chain stay (when riding) to operate a lever that will move a cam, that will move the wheel fore and aft to achive the proper chain tension for the gear you select...

anyway those were the Days "when man were MaN" and for sure is kind of funny to hear how people winne about a little noise on a 10 speed cogset, if you ask me were are spoil rotten...

maybe that is what happend to the bike Bushwhacker post a second ago, something with more gears or easy to operate came about and the design (as nice as it can be) became obsolete by way of the competicion..

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
BigMike said:
so what exactly does it accomplish? When I first saw it I figured it was for chain tension, but..... wouldn't you still have the same problems as you do without the cog in there? :confused:
it does a dandy job of keeping the chian tention in check, it takes a bit of work to jam the cog in place but once its there, it works perfect. would be pointless on a bike with horz. drops but with the verts, this is best set up I've seen.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
PepperJester said:
it does a dandy job of keeping the chian tention in check, it takes a bit of work to jam the cog in place but once its there, it works perfect. would be pointless on a bike with horz. drops but with the verts, this is best set up I've seen.

Maybe i'll give it a try on my Flow :think:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
cool, you may need to try with a few diferent sized rings to get the proper tention for your setup. im using a (i think) 32X32X16 and its working very well.