Quantcast

Crank Brothers

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm just posting this here because it's a popular forum, but...

I purchased a faulty Joplin 3 about a year or so ago and rode with it until I got too disgusted by it constantly falling down on me mid-climb. I tried to fix it myself but that didn't work either so I ended up sending it back and upgrading to the Joplin 4.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out that Crank Bros has AWESOME customer service. They processed my return insanely fast and got the new post sent out in no time. After receiving the new post, I actually encountered another problem (which could have been my fault) and they shipped me a new part out immediately.

I've since been conversing with a guy named Nick over there and he's been replying to my emails within 15 minutes or so. Since we have a "bad sellers" forum for everyone to b1tch about, I thought I'd just give credit where credit is due. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again - and I'm a bit of a customer service nazi so it takes a lot to impress me.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
good to know. i just wrecked the freehub of my cobalt wheels on my xc bike. as soon as i get home today, i'm going to take the rear hub apart to see what exactly the problem is and send cb somes pictures and warranty/service request.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Crank Bros CS is awesome! I solved the problem many seem to have buy purchasing 2 or 3 units of everything, that way when it breaks, I use my spare until that one breaks. Their CS always pull through, or its raining by the time the third cracks!

If I bought another brand, it would be on too long and the anno would get dirty.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Axle snapped on my Acid last week, just got the confirmation email that they received my return. I ordered a set of Time X Roc's just cause I didn't want a pedal failing on me again. I'll probably sell whatever Crank Bros sends back to me.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
there really needs to be a "good CS/seller" forum.
I agree with this 100%! How can we get this going?

we are statistical outliers apparently
Nah - it's just that people are WAY more vocal when there's a problem vs a good experience. Just look at freakin' Yelp for fvck's sake.

I just received an email from Nick again...those guys ROCK! Seriously I'm floored by their awesomeness.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
we are statistical outliers apparently
yeah, and what drkenan said, people are way more vocal when **** goes bad......just look at how much I complain about my new focus wishing I would have gotten the subaru when in all reality the focus is a bit cheaper, better mileage, and equally as decent as the impreza

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've always had great luck with Crank Brothers. There is this thing their pedals do that amazes me.

I can put my foot down at Snowshoe, watch it change color to nuclear orange coated in the most god awful goo on earth, all while barreling down some stupid steep chute.....and when I put my foot back on the pedal, it.....engages.

That is all I can ask. Why? Because I didn't die. :D

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Its a company that likes pushing the limits of design and coming up with something aesthetically interesting that hasn't necessarily been done before. Their presentation and design aspects are generally really good, but its usually a minute detail that kills the product. For me, it was cheap bearings in 4 pairs of their pedals, and in the case of the Joplin it had a lot to do with lackluster sealing and such. I like what they're doing, but I really wish that they would sort out some of those little details.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
We're talking about a company that thinks it's ok to put a square shaft in a round seal. They'd want to have CS.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
If they would put as much effort into the engineering of their products as they put into their packaging they might have some decent products.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
OK, so I dunno if anyone saw stevie smith's bike check over on pinkbike:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Stevie-Smith-Bike-Check-Sea-Otter-2012.html

He has prototype Mallet DH pedals, specific DH mallets that are a separate product line from the regular mallet line?! aren't the regular mallets designed for DH? I dunno I was a bit confused..
Funny. I noticed last year that no WC riders were touching the new mallets with a 10 foot pole and instead were riding the older versions of it.

Some more info on the pedals http://www.declinemagazine.com/content.php?itemid=6766

I've personally never been terribly interested in using CB products. While I appreciate high design, performance and durability are much more important factors when I choose to spend my money.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
"The Mallet DH’s have a wider platform than the regular Mallets, which are a great trail/ all-mountain pedal." Interesting, I always thought the candy was their trail/all-mountain pedal.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think the newest mallets with the poly platform were meant to replace the Acids. While the Mallet DH is now a "DH" specific pedal. The one good thing I'll say from the pictures is that it looks like they'll shed mud a lot better than the old mallets.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I was wondering the same thing about those new Mallets- I guess I forgot about the previous new version that doesn't seem to be very popular.

Btw, I'm another statistical outlier with CB pedals, apparently. I have a couple pairs that I've been smashing into rocks for a few years, and they still work fine.

pdxmonkeyboy

Chimp
Oct 10, 2009
I would like to take this time to point out that crank brothers pumps out some of the ****iest pieces of garbage bike components out there. No wonder they have such great customer service..otherwise they would be totally out of business.

Case in point.. Here is me enjoying the first day of riding with my new "DH" opium headset from crank brothers. properly installed in freshly faced head tube...

Hear that POP at 0:03? That is the sound of the headset exploding!1 The bottom race exploded into three pieces. I guess I should expect that from a DH headset, I mean, it had almost an hour of riding on it.