Quantcast

Corsairs out in the real world

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I talked to (is email talking?) Corsair a month or so ago and they said that bikes would be shipping here in the states January 1st...

...and I see adds in Dirt saying that Corsairs are available now...so does anybody actually have one yet...?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it would be cool if they did...i'm waiting anxiously...but it seems like these are E-bikes...I would crack up if the company folds before any bikes are actually released, like so many companies before.

I'm dying to see some real-world builds on maelstroms in particular...but all I see are demos and photos from 1000 internet years ago.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have heard 1599 for the maelstrom, but that was back a year or so ago. I would assume the marque would be in the same range.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
1799 is current pricing on the corsairs. i signed the shop up as soon as i saw them in person. of course that was a while ago now.......

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasn't the first release date somewhere in June this year?
Also I thought that the SS and AM model were already released and we only wait for the crown and maelstrom. Did they shift the release so much?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Bad move opening up the front edges of the pedals. A really good racer here showed me that because the konas are closed on the front edges, there is nothing to catch on rocks....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
those pedals are everywhere...kona, deity, CRC, they're all made by a taiwanese company with different names and paint on em. You can get them anywhere for whatever price a name brand is selling for.

It scares me that Corsair is trying to release parts with their name on them...are they trying to be a start-up trek or Specialized? Shouldn't they worry about their frames first, or getting something on the market?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
those pedals are everywhere...kona, deity, CRC, they're all made by a taiwanese company with different names and paint on em. You can get them anywhere for whatever price a name brand is selling for.

It scares me that Corsair is trying to release parts with their name on them...are they trying to be a start-up trek or Specialized? Shouldn't they worry about their frames first, or getting something on the market?
I think its smart to put out some pedals first. Like you said those pedals are taiwanese; buy a couple thousand, paint them, package them and sell them. Now they are getting their name out there and making some money.

It will be cool to see the actual bikes, I saw the DH one this summer at a race and it looked good.

MTB R&D

Chimp
Oct 10, 2008
In a demo Tent near you...
For two years at Interbike I have talked with Pablo and cycled the suspension. It felt good...but one of the owners is not a friendly guy (Not Pablo). MANY people walk from that booth asking, "What's wrong with that guy?"...that is the most forum friendly thing I have overheard about him.

Pablo was planning on racing down south for the winter.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I talked to (is email talking?) Corsair a month or so ago and they said that bikes would be shipping here in the states January 1st..
I had an email conversation with Doug Stuart @ Corsair on Nov 17. He also told me the Jan 1st date. I've got a complete build with Go Ride spec'd out, I'm just waiting to hear that the frames are actually available before I pull the trigger.

--Ben

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
not a scam, www.dropnzone.com had 5 of the konig i've personally seen a few of them in the area and at the shop, local ripper girl has one and loves it!

also AA_freeze or AAfreeze is the owner of dropnzone on RM so probably his user for PB, that is definately a pic from outside his shop

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I had a good look at a Corsair ridden by Scolzy at a local race here in NZ a few weeks ago.......nice bike with alot of neat touches but im not sure about the 2nd shock idea an aparently theres been a few of them blowing up(the 2nd shock i mean)and they're quite sensative to set up correctly....oh an horrible horrible colour too.......seems to go good tho an quiet az!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just thought it might be a scam as there are two identical bikes with not the best descriptions up on pinkbike...just doesn't seem too likely I guess, and not a lot of people have seen the bike in real life.

I'll have to check out the video of the crown though...thing looks cool.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I had an email conversation with Doug Stuart @ Corsair on Nov 17. He also told me the Jan 1st date. I've got a complete build with Go Ride spec'd out, I'm just waiting to hear that the frames are actually available before I pull the trigger.

--Ben
I just got another update from Doug via email:
"Maelstrom frames are all painted and are due to leave the factory on approx January 10th. That will have them in seattle on February 1st and I should be able to ship one down to SLC shortly after that."

Go Ride is building mine, hence the SLC comment.

--Ben

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The corsairs are some fun bikes. The couple i ride with has a maelstrom and his wife has a konig. i had some time on the maelstrom and it felt pretty good. the idler felt a little weird at first, maybe just the sound of it. They are both proto's though. they do graphic designing for them i think.
The konig's have been out for a while.

Also the pedals are pretty awesome. i have two pair. not too expensive and lighter than my old atomlabs.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Never heard of the company, but that bike is pretty cool looking

How does it perform?

Sorry I was wrong about what kind of bike it was.