Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
They both look fairly legit. The rear may not work in as wide a range of conditions but there aren't that many fast rolling tires that also have good casings and a reasonable weight.
interested to try those tires. the rear looks like the corner knobs are an...interesting...pair to a dry/hardpack centerline tread. seems more like an intermediate race tire, rather than a dry/rocky/hardpack tire? more euro than western us anyhow.

IMO a day late an a dollar short. the rock racing razor raptor from schwibleschwable looks a good bit more versatile outside loamy perfectness.

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Yesterday I got the Continental Kaiser Projekt 2.4" (they have dropped the Rammstein from the name for some reason) tires and while I can't give riding impressions yet, I noticed the sideknobs are really well supported, and the rubber compound seems somewhat stiffer (but still sticky and slow rebound feeling with the fingers) than in the Continental Der Baron tires or Maxxis Supertacky compound.
I would expect these sideknobs not to fold over in corners. Even the center tread angles do not seem that bad, definitely way better than Highroller, even if it could be smarter still. Can't wait to test these.
How are you linking those tires so far?
What width rim do you have them on? What conditions are you riding them in?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey J: what's the nomentclature for tough tubless casing with michy tires again? Their website confuses me. These better not have an 'R in the name.
They only make one tire you would be interested in. It is the wildgrip'R 2 advanced in the 2.35 size. That is the one that comes with the grippier rubber and the reinforced sidewall.
It is basically like a dh tire with a kevlar bead. 950 grams or so.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No I'm definitely more interested in this prototype than anything they've got currently. ;)
They don't have any of those 'advanced' casings with hard rubber do they? I'm not really a fan of slow rubber on rear tires for anything but pissing rain on roots.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i just want to say that the schwibble-schwabel super gravity casing feels pretty legit.

the butyl reinforcement on the sidewall is a little taller and stiffer than a maxis dh tire, and the casing is def a little thicker under the tread as well.

based on the tires i have here, a 2.35 super gravity tire is 99g heavier than a 2.5 DHF EXO, and 189g lighter than a 2.5 DHF 60 2 ply.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I thought I'd add some info from the site. They say these are protos that Barel and Pierre Edouard Ferry have been working on for three years. There (currently) are two versions in the works: a dual compound for use in the front and a single compound for the rear. They say it'll be in the same weight range as the Wild Grip'R Reinforced (900g) and will be competing against Butchers and Minions.... that's pretty much it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
No I'm definitely more interested in this prototype than anything they've got currently. ;)
They don't have any of those 'advanced' casings with hard rubber do they? I'm not really a fan of slow rubber on rear tires for anything but pissing rain on roots.
Yeah, IMO that tire is overkill on the rear for trail riding. I use those tires for short course DH type stuff, and if I was going to do a long back country point to point shuttle where I can't afford to cut a tire.
I did notice that Fabian Barel had the 2.35 tire on the front and a wildrace'r tire on the rear for an enduro race. That must be interesting combo, but I am not sure they make that tire in a burly casing.

SCARY

Not long enough
i just want to say that the schwibble-schwabel super gravity casing feels pretty legit.

the butyl reinforcement on the sidewall is a little taller and stiffer than a maxis dh tire, and the casing is def a little thicker under the tread as well.

based on the tires i have here, a 2.35 super gravity tire is 99g heavier than a 2.5 DHF EXO, and 189g lighter than a 2.5 DHF 60 2 ply.
Is that 2.35 the same as a maxxis 2.5?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i didnt want to make another thread, so ill just ask here. hope im not stepping on anyones toes!

so ive been looking at going ghetto tubeless, and i think im going to attempt it (the gorilla tape way), because honestly i cant figure out how to do the cut up tube method from the three tutorials ive read (yeah, im dumb.. so what?). ive also already got a couple rolls of it..

is the gorilla tape method less effective than the tube method?

SCARY

Not long enough
i didnt want to make another thread, so ill just ask here. hope im not stepping on anyones toes!

so ive been looking at going ghetto tubeless, and i think im going to attempt it (the gorilla tape way), because honestly i cant figure out how to do the cut up tube method from the three tutorials ive read (yeah, im dumb.. so what?). ive also already got a couple rolls of it..

is the gorilla tape method less effective than the tube method?
Seriously?
20" bmx presta tube, put on rim, inflate.cut tube open down the center line.fold tube over sides of rim.put on tire.put whatever sealent crap you want in.inflate.trim tube.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yeah, seriously. they had a tutorial on here i read atleast 3 times and it didnt make sense in some parts..

although i just found this one and it actually looks like i understand all of it:
http://tennesseemountainbike.com/board/showthread.php?4143-Ghetto-tubeless-tutorial

although i noticed on the ride monkey one i saw the guy puts sealant between the rim and the tire itself. the link i posted above didnt do it.. so which one should i shoot for?

and does anyone know the answer to my original question? (gorilla tape vs tube method, which is more reliable).. the gorilla tape way looks a million times easier, it also seems like the smart thing to do since ive already got some of their tape.. but if the reliability isnt as good, ill try the tube method..

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
tube is obviously more secure as you get tire fasten on tube. to get tire on bare metal surface is no go.

Search for Buillcrew, he made simple guide with some photos.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
yeah, seriously. they had a tutorial on here i read atleast 3 times and it didnt make sense in some parts..

although i just found this one and it actually looks like i understand all of it:
http://tennesseemountainbike.com/board/showthread.php?4143-Ghetto-tubeless-tutorial

although i noticed on the ride monkey one i saw the guy puts sealant between the rim and the tire itself. the link i posted above didnt do it.. so which one should i shoot for?

and does anyone know the answer to my original question? (gorilla tape vs tube method, which is more reliable).. the gorilla tape way looks a million times easier, it also seems like the smart thing to do since ive already got some of their tape.. but if the reliability isnt as good, ill try the tube method..
aren't there like tons of how to videos on youtube??

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
aren't there like tons of how to videos on youtube??
there are.. i need to watch them. those would help a ton..

so on that note, ive got some mtx 31 rims that i built up a couple of days ago. Like a dummy, i didnt google to see if they work well with ghetto tubeless. does anyone know how well they work with ghetto tubeless?

also, not sure if this has been posted here, but heres a thread to home brewed sealant. i might give it a try. if someone has any info/feedback about this, please let me know!

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/best-tubeless-brew-406115.html

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Pretty sure that on the RM thread the author only puts the sealant between the tire and the tube AT the bead area, not on the rim itself. The principle being that the tube and tire are able to move (together) very slightly against the rim when stressed, which resists tearing the contact between the tire and tube.

I made this to demonstrate

View attachment 114033

I'd like to know if I'm wrong however. Having just gone ghetto tubeless myself (one ride so far), if that's not right I could do it better next time.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Just wanted to go on record saying IMO the schwalbe super gravity tires are not really up to the task of being run on the rear of a trail bike (160mm in this case...) more or less a dh bike.

Sent a rock straight thru the casing at the tread at normal speeds on a normal trail. 6 rides of life for the tire.

Ok then.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Tubeless.... I know I know. But a 1000g tire that pedals like ass on a 160mm trail bike should be plenty, even if it's setup tubeless.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
yeah it is eternal problem to get a light rear tire. It's what it'd matter most. Casette, freehub and all that crap.

I smiled when I saw some ridding Nobby Nic tire as rear at recent Alps2 competition. Some dont give up. I guess you could compensate that with better skills rather than to continue to blame anything on hardware. When one busts tubeless rear wheel, insert a tube inside wheel and continue to ride as nothing happened.

:rant:

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Hi, I am going to change tyres and I want to go tubeless. I am thinking of 2.5 Maxxis ST DHF at front and 2.4 Maxxis ST HRII at rear, but I don't know what casing to buy, I have been using two 2.5 Maxxis ST HR 2-ply during this year.

Is there only one casing available on the HRII? Does it work well with tubeless?

Should I get the DHF in Dual Ply or in UST?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks.

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
So, there are only two readily available choices in 24" tires and they are the Maxxis High Roller I 60a or a Kenda Nevegal Stick-E (50a)...what would you choose for a trip to Whistler?

We have both options for my son. When we ride at places where there are flat sections and it is dry I think the High Roller is the choice simply based on the fact it helps him maintain speed (it's hard to maintain speed when you're only 85 pounds!). But when it is rocky (slabs, mixed) and rooty, and it is generally plenty steep - I gotta think the Kenda becomes the better choice primarily due to the fact it is noticely wider, softer, and has those intermediate lugs.

We're going to Whistler - if you only had one choice - which would you rather have? Both sets are in good or new condition.