Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I don't know if that was mentioned yet, but how do you decide the tire size? For example: At this point I'm riding 2.7 DHFs in front and 2.5s in the rear. Grip is decent on both ends and I can say I can definitely go to my limits with these tires.
A friend of mine is now on 2.35 DHFs and swears on it.
Others mentioned they rode with 2.7, went to 2.5 and the grip was more predictable in loamy conditions.

Before I was on Maxxis I rode 2.4 Muddy Marys in front and rear, which seem to be already wider as the 2.7 DHFs so I was never on tires smaller than the tires I run now.

Now that I am in need of new rubbers, can any monkey help me out?
I ride every terrain, from rocky, loamy and loose terrain in the woods to hard packed bikepark style tracks.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Oh, I am on 32mm wide Bontrager rims if that helps regarding the tire profile.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Well I've never run bigger than a 2.35 Schwalbe/2.5 Maxxis. Anything bigger just seems too bulky and slow to respond for me.

You've just got me thinking though, I'm planning on running a 2.35 Muddy Mary with a 2.4 Big Betty on the rear. Anyone know how these compare size-wise? Hopefully the difference is negligible

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Well I've never run bigger than a 2.35 Schwalbe/2.5 Maxxis. Anything bigger just seems too bulky and slow to respond for me.

You've just got me thinking though, I'm planning on running a 2.35 Muddy Mary with a 2.4 Big Betty on the rear. Anyone know how these compare size-wise? Hopefully the difference is negligible
I have 2.4 Bettys F&R on my bike and 2.35 Marys F&R on the girl's bike. The 2.4 Betty is noticeably visually larger, her's are definitely skinnier looking at least using my trusty eyecrometer. Of course, I'm a turbo nerd and other folks might not even notice. Also... will it make a difference in performance? Who knows.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Has anyone tried new Hutchinson Barracuda DH tires? Old ones were a high roller copy but had some kind of amazing rubber. It never slipped on anything. It made you ride really stupid and crash like an idiot when switched to 42a from maxxis.

Kidwoo?

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Has anyone tried new Hutchinson Barracuda DH tires? Old ones were a high roller copy but had some kind of amazing rubber. It never slipped on anything. It made you ride really stupid and crash like an idiot when switched to 42a from maxxis.

Kidwoo?

Im real curious bout these too :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I rode the mx casing versions of those for years. Mostly because they were one of the only tires I could run tubeless without puncturing and because they have a pretty legit row of sideknobs with the space to use them.

Those angled braking edges suck dick though. For the same reasons the OG high roller does. Pointed braking edges are just stupid. And the cudas have them.

On one I had on my trail bike, I literally just cut off all the center knobs. It was pretty fun. :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I rode the mx casing versions of those for years. Mostly because they were one of the only tires I could run tubeless without puncturing and because they have a pretty legit row of sideknobs with the space to use them.

Those angled braking edges suck dick though. For the same reasons the OG high roller does. Pointed braking edges are just stupid. And the cudas have them.

On one I had on my trail bike, I literally just cut off all the center knobs. It was pretty fun. :D
They were bombproof that I can remember. You could run them with close to no pressure at all and still not kill them. The only problem is they are about 150-200g heavier than their competition. Too bad with the breaking edge as they would make a great front racing tire if they still have that uber soft compound they had in 2008. I remember reading somewhere it was 35a. For rooty trails they were killer.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
That thing is called the PIRANHA, holmes.. lol. Still rocking them on my trail bike.

I'm still using Cudas. Love it as a front tire and as a rear for loose and rocky stuff. But I prefer the shorter center knobs on the Piranhas with the same side knobs as the Cudas.

While waiting for the team tires to show up, I've slapped on the new generation 2.5 Cuda DH.
Gone are the multi rebound compound models (which I kinda like to have back, atleast the MRC Medium= shore 50) and now uses the Racing Reposte compound which is actually complimentary to the larger sized knobs (not so on the Cougars especially on hardpack). Definitely not for weigh weenies but most Euro trails and courses are pointed WAY THE EFF down.. :)

I'm waiting for these... Squales. They just arrived in Hutchinson USA warehouse in NJ.

Kev, I'll be in N* in two weeks but don't bother, I couldn't even keep up with you anyways.. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We should talk. I got a pass at mammoth this year though, not northstar. We'll at least grab a beer and catch up.

I finally went through my stock pile of old piranhas. Are they making some burly non dh ones I can run tubeless?

That squale looks pretty good. Those guys need to pick a sideknob angle direction though. It's like every tire they make they get all schizophrenic on what they're trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Does anyone else have trouble keeping a Schwalbe Wicked Will 2.35" GG Downhill casing from losing air when set up tubeless with Stan's on an 823? I want to run closer to 22 PSI, but it loses air when I ride hard.
What I find weird is that I can ride their Freeride version of the same tire on the same rim (or a Flow, or a Haven UST), and the Freeride casing tire doesn't ever lose air - only the DH casing, which is frustrating because the DH casing feels so much more solid for aggressive riding. For the record, it's only the rear that loses air.
I'm seriously thinking about getting a UST Trailstar MM instead of the Vertstar DH MM that I want because I fear the rear will lose air. I'd rather have the vertstar for my upcoming Whistler trip, but more important than Vertstar vs. Trailstar is not having air in my tire. Last trip I ran into this problem (with different tires - totally unrelated), and I don't want to get a tire that is going to burp on me to the point of uselessness partway through O-Sin.
Has anyone ridden the new Trailstar UST in any of their proper tires, and can they compare it to the DH casing? The weight is really close, and I'm hoping that the UST is robust enough, and crossing my fingers that if it comes to it, that I won't regret a DH MM VS up front with a UST MM TS on the back for all that Whistler has to offer.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I run the DH Wicked Will 2.35 TrailStar as a rear tire tubeless, albeit on ADD Pro rims (Stan's BST shape). Once the bead is seated and sealed, I never have issues with leaks. My current WW rear tire is worn down to the point of being unbelievably clapped, and it's been sealed great the whole time.

My guess is that you're having issues getting the DH casing to seal between the bead and the rim- those carcasses are tricky on the initial sealing process.

If it helps, my baseline is 27psi (measured with a real gauge) in the DH 2.35 WW 2.35 as a rear tire. I like the grip at 26 psi, but it feels like it's about to roll off the rim in the corners.

I've ridden the Big Betty FR TrailStar UST tires- it's much closer to the FR casing than the DH. I wouldn't use it as a rear tire on a DH bike. I don't think they have any DH UST casing tires.

I see you're in Denver....I've ridden a lot of Schwalbe tires, if you want to find me at the resorts and talk about it moar.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I find it weird that my 823's are having this issue since they're UST rims. They do hold onto the FR and UST tires just fine. The bead is definitely seated, but maybe internally there's something wrong that I just can't see. Ugh.
So maybe I should just run higher pressure and see if it holds? I'm just not sure I want to do that - after all, the whole point of having the DH tires was so that they're stand up in the corners and still have low enough pressure to be compliant to trail imperfections. If I wanted to run higher pressures, I might as well get the FR casing and save a pound in weight...
I ride Trestle every Sunday (since it's the one day I am off) - if you see a black Canfield One with Schwalbes, come say hi! I'll be endlessly fiddling with my CCDB...

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Has schwalbe devved a new version of the muddy mary for worlds? Tahnee Seagrave's M9 is sporting what says Muddy Mary on the sidewall, but the another snap captioned: Schwalbe's new tires, doesnt look like the MM, somewhat like the DD, but not quite: almost like a hybrid of the two:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hahahh!!!! They turned the block angle on the sideknobs the right way, from that mess they called the G4 or whatever it was. Hell yes........somebody knows what they're doing (or is finally listening to the right people). That tire looks rad. I have restored faith in humanity.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ Hey kidwoo have you had any time on the Muddy Mary? Ive read a couple of your reviews, esp. the dhr II, seems an amazing tire. My friend Kurt says its the best tire hes used so far. Im curious if youve had extended time on the MM or other Schwalbe tires...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not riding another schwalbe tire until they start angling their knobs the right way. They've really gone out of their way to make tires that 'look different' and have ended up with some of the most retarded tire designs mankind has ever seen. The only reason the MMs work is because although angled the wrong way, those sideknobs are the least 'schwalbe' of any tire they make.

But yeah, I've ridden them. "best tire I've been on" was not exactly my thought. Tire that wants to carve away from you when holding a sustained long lean......is more like it. They corner better when run backwards but then you get a lame ass ramped braking edge. There's a really REALLY good reason good tires use the opposite angles on their tread designs. Schwalbe ignored that in order to be different........not because it works better. BuckoW (who I have to assume knows some peeps there) mentioned they did that to hold on off camber trails but that's no different that leaning the bike in a flat tracker corner.......you're still on the side of the tire trying to get grip and pull the bike up/in. Their theory would only work on a tire under a drive force, not coasting downhill or generating anything near the low rpms a bicycle is capable of. But it IS the best tire schwable makes. Unfortunately that's not saying much.

edit: keep in mind I'm WAY more picky about this shlt that most sane people. My world is all dust.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ I understand. Quite honestly I found the MM's to be pretty good. Ive not tried a ton, but have been on HR's, Butchers pretty much. Not tried the dhf. Always hear Butchers are basically dhfs. I found Butchers to be awesome dry, loose condition tires.

From your experience, does the dhf loose grip earlier leaning vs. HR's? I dont know much about tread design but the wider space of the HR's center to corner makes me think itll catch you better in lower lean angles vs. the dhf...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I'd agree with 'pretty good'. Lots of those around though.

The minion/high roller thing is kind of a complicated question when it comes to breaking loose. Both the DHF and DHR2 behave similarly......in that they'll break loose but they're extremely controllable once they do. That's most of the reason I like them. I LIKE sliding around. The HRs are more of a wall for sure in that they'll just hold harder......but when they DO break loose, it's usually over. Not always but they really do BREAK loose. The minions kind of ease into sliding. That's the way I look at it at least.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
The minion/high roller thing is kind of a complicated question when it comes to breaking loose. Both the DHF and DHR2 behave similarly......in that they'll break loose but they're extremely controllable once they do. That's most of the reason I like them. I LIKE sliding around. The HRs are more of a wall for sure in that they'll just hold harder......but when they DO break loose, it's usually over. Not always but they really do BREAK loose. The minions kind of ease into sliding. That's the way I look at it at least.
Perfect. Thanks for that. Id give the DHR II a go when my Schwalbes wear out :D

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Kidwoo, have you really tried the Muddy Mary both ways and honestly noticed a difference in cornering when running them backwards? Or do you just want to believe so because that's what would make sense?
I haven't ever tried Muddy Marys, but I'm extremely skeptical that you could feel a difference because the angle in the sideknobs is so small.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Hahahh!!!! They turned the block angle on the sideknobs the right way, from that mess they called the G4 or whatever it was. Hell yes........somebody knows what they're doing (or is finally listening to the right people). That tire looks rad. I have restored faith in humanity.
Haha, i tried to tell a few people that turning the tire (G4) around might be a better idea, suffice to say i got some strange looks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo, have you really tried the Muddy Mary both ways and honestly noticed a difference in cornering when running them backwards? Or do you just want to believe so because that's what would make sense?
I haven't ever tried Muddy Marys, but I'm extremely skeptical that you could feel a difference because the angle in the sideknobs is so small.
The entire planet is buying these things right now. Yes I've ridden them. As well as some knobby nics I did the same thing with.

Go do the same and get back to me.

It's not like the bike goes the wrong way or anything with them turned the 'normal' way. A leaned wheel will turn no matter what the tread pattern. But they're not as good as they could be.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
between the HRs, minions and the MMs, my personal preference is squarely in the muddy mary camp. blows the minion outta the water. but this, like other assessment, are all personal preferences.

Kidwoo: any thoughts on those new Schwalbe treads?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've been a Muddy Mary fan for a while and I started off thinking they were the middle ground tyre that I could use 90% of the time. After a while that window of awesome has been reduced down to a couple of tracks in the right weather conditions.
Too hard and the side knobs fold, bassically if you can get away with a minion you can corner faster and more predictably.
However - when a track is soft, and you need a tyre that clears, but rolls faster than a spike - nothing touches the Muddy Mary. They really do clear amazingly well, and roll faster than anything by Maxxis. If you can get away with the 850gm freeride casing, even better.
But hey, I live in an area without big mountains, lots of clay based soils, and a winter race series. Which leaves me thinking that the most "all purpose" tyre is actually very specific!

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I think the Rammstein Project tire looks promising, nothing too stupid going on with the tread.
Looks like the cornering knobs are not so far down as in the regular Kaiser, which some people complain about.
The cornering knobs remind to me a little bit like the knobs on the original High Roller, as in they are are small(ish) and spaced quite dense.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
finally, a close up of the new Schwalbe rubber. SEems PB agrees with my guess that it looked like a hybrid of the Dirty Dan and Muddy Mary. I like their name for it' the Dirty Mary.. hahah

for comparison, the current MM:

and the Dirty Dan:

Last edited:

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
side knobs dont look as tall as those on the current MMs, and comes with extra siping, but not completely through the length of the knob. Kidwoo: will this prevent the folding over of hte side knobs you love to hate so much? ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think they form the same annoying low angle leaned braking edge that original high rollers have that I bitch about here.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/maxxis-high-roller-2

Just like schwalbe puts a stupid angle on their sides, continental thinks they've stumbled upon something by making the actual braking edges smaller than the rest of the knob. I guess they do that for a bigger 'ramp' on the leading edge but it fvcks up some other things. At least the other set forms a V that should hold some dirt.

This is one of those things I'm thinking about when I gush over a tire and say there's nothing stupid or contradictory about it. This is continental's 'stupid and contradictory'.

It looks like they shortened the height of the centers with this one though so that maybe you can get to the side knobs without 'falling off' the centers like with some of their previous treads.

Last edited: