Quantcast

Coloured lenses

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Never ridden with any, always stuck to clear. My theory being that coloured lenses are coloured by restricting some of the light coming through, and surely all light is good light and the more you have the better :)

So what's the benefit to blue/orange lenses, if anything? Do they actually help, or is it just people being fashion whores? I'm expecting to see the word "contrast" used... not sure if I buy it or not...

Fox do clear/grey/blue/perismmon for "normal" (cheap) lenses.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
What you're looking for are the mirrored lenses. Those are the ones that make you look really fast and cool. I bought some since i needed new lenses anyway and a little more on the order to get free shipping. They're cool. I imagine if you ride in summer conditions on open exposed trails I'd definitely ride with them. I got a blue filter and a red filter. Former seems to brighten things up and latter is great on very sunny days.
This may vary between companies but the lenses are very fragile. I'd rather have a bunch of clear ones for wet conditions and save the fancy ones for dry bright conditions. A lot of the contrast stuff they say is bogus. If anything it makes it worse. High contrast makes it harder to see the details in the bright and the dark bits when it's a shaded trail for example, which most are....

Hell I don't even like wearing goggles in the first place. Just bought into being a fashion whore. But I have to admit it is really effective. You'll look approximately 221% cooler in pictures if you are wearing mirrored lensed goggles. Not only that but people will automatically think you're a fast guy even if the picture has no blur, roost or rox what so ever.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I use either Clear or blue. I find blue the best because it kinda makes everything equal. Say your on a wide open straigt away then bomb into the woods, it eliminates that hard change over on the eyes and equalizes the transistion I guess you could say.
I also find when its a bit dark in the woods it brings out the countour of the ground more.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I prefer not to wear goggles too - right up until I get something in my eye, then it sucks :) And I hate to say it, but photos without goggles DO look rubbish :)

Never had a mirrored lens - do they scratch as easily as the cheap clear ones?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
For me:

-Clear: use in dark and/or winter weather
-Blue: everyday use, usually better in mixed light conditions dark and bright
-Orange: dusk/dawn riding, anytime with low light
-Smoked: for riding in bright conditions

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just wear some of those HD sunglasses like you see on TV... Then you will see everything in HD!!!!
LMAO!!!

I do with the hucker lid, its almost life like 4d when riding that branch not only looked like it was coming at me but I swear I could feel it....:D

Im night blind so dark lenses make shadows too dark, clear is like normal eyes cant adjust fast wenough in and out of the woods and dark spots..

Like heckler said, is pretty spot on.

I do amber/orange in dusk, am, cloudy days and Ill rock blue on sunny days if its a wide open course MIRRORED!!! Makes you look badass....
And lately Ive been rockin HD glasses, aside of being goofy they work KICK @$$...

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
I recommend picking up some blue lenses, its literally like seeing in HD, every color pops and makes transitions between dark and light super easy and I feel the texture of the trail is easier to read. any day with the sun out I wear the blue lense. Especially nice for those bright whistler days.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had some Smith Orange mirrored lenses and they blew. Fine on super sunny open days, but not enough contract in the woods, which is like 50% of your riding time. I wouldn't mind a polarized set of lenses all the time, but I find that clear does a pretty fair job all things considered.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I use either Clear or blue. I find blue the best because it kinda makes everything equal. Say your on a wide open straigt away then bomb into the woods, it eliminates that hard change over on the eyes and equalizes the transistion I guess you could say.
I also find when its a bit dark in the woods it brings out the countour of the ground more.
Agree 100% :thumb: Lots of woods here on the East Coast....

Cecil

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Never had a mirrored lens - do they scratch as easily as the cheap clear ones?

They probably scratch just as easily but because they're more expensive and the reason why you have them is because of the way they look, the scratches make your head hurt much much more.