Quantcast

Colorado Monkeys

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
"we"

How old are your kid(s)? The one red/blue state discussion definitely worth having is the bullshit some of them have enacted since the repeal of Roe v. Wade. I don't have kids but if I did, there's no way in hell I'd move to one of those handmade's tale states. That would take idaho off the list.
That's a good point, and one that re-affirmed my decision to never move to Texas, or to have my parents take custody of my kids if something were to happen to my wife and I. I hadn't really considered that with regard to Idaho, mostly because I'm not seriously considering it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
And don't get me wrong. I love shopping at the Whole Foods in Boise. We spend a couple weeks down there every year. Its a butt(!) load of fun. Lots of restaurants and that fresh cali vibe but on the edge of the mountains. There is lots of work and reasonable home pricing within 75 miles of downtown Boise. The mtb trails arent amazing but the sheer volume and access is amazing.

Won't live there though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>How old are your kid(s)? The one red/blue state discussion definitely worth having is the bullshit some of them have enacted since the repeal of Roe v. Wade. I don't have kids but if I did, there's no way in hell I'd move to one of those handmade's tale states. That would take idaho off the list.
And to be clear - almost any red state. Fuck those backwards-assed shitholes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And to be clear - almost any red state. Fuck those backwards-assed shitholes.
Speak for yourself. Living in the bluest of states I can tell you some of the most hateful, control-mad, intolerant fucks on the planet consider themselves 'pRoUd liBrUls' that strengthen the systems of oppression against the communities they claim to value the most.

Way more legal trails to ride in Idaho than California, that is bigger with way more public space.

The abortion issue would be a red line for me if I had kids but it's not as clear cut as you'd like to believe regarding everything else. Plus lots of sane people live in those states, regardless of the small percentage of them that actually vote in each one.

Here's your one true blue county in ID. God damn slave community.

Here's your compassionate blue voters here

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I looked seriously at this. It's doable, the problem is the towns with these programs were doing so because nobody wanted to live there - for a reason. Buy a house for $1, but it'll cost you $60k in repairs to just get it livable, and ridiculous timelines imposed by the limited options for labor and supplies. Hope you're good with whatever wilted produce and canned food the local shop has, during the 12 hours/week they're open.

Some of the towns are pretty, but it's a very pastoral life - great if all you want to do is putter around your place, drink at the one local bar, or sit out and read the newspaper with a cappuccino - but it's pretty limiting. You won't find an interesting restaurant for miles around, and I hope you aren't looking for a local biking club or climbing group or anything.

Not to say a good life couldn't be had in Europe, just those particular Italian programs looked like something that would be lovely for 6 months and provide a lot of nice Instagram pictures... but then maybe be a recipe to start constructing a hedge maze and have conversations with imaginary bartenders.
You sound like an extrovert. :D

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Language barrier, but Japan's also offering at least their citizens money to move to the countryside. Cheap houses in hollowed out places, and probably not as run down if my stereotypes hold true.
Nothing like having 8 neighbors within 30 feet reminding you that you are a Gaijin anytime you stick your nose out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Speak for yourself. Living in the bluest of states I can tell you some of the most hateful, control-mad, intolerant fucks on the planet consider themselves 'pRoUd liBrUls' that strengthen the systems of oppression against the communities they claim to value the most.

Way more legal trails to ride in Idaho than California, that is bigger with way more public space.

The abortion issue would be a red line for me if I had kids but it's not as clear cut as you'd like to believe regarding everything else. Plus lots of sane people live in those states, regardless of the small percentage of them that actually vote in each one.

Here's your one true blue county in ID. God damn slave community.

Here's your compassionate blue voters here

Fucking with the homeless is the one issue both sides seem to agree on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nothing like having 8 neighbors within 30 feet reminding you that you are a Gaijin anytime you stick your nose out.
This wouldn’t be Tokyo. You’d have much more room, likely an actual house. But you’d still be bakka gaijin, true

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fair enough.

The second part of your post - the fact that this is a real problem with stupid privileged travelers - is why it didn't land as a joke.

I stand by my comment about the rural Italian communities being a barren wasteland of entertainment, cultural, culinary, educational, or even grocery options. If you don't mind spending all of your time gardening and reading, though, it's certainly a cheap place to live.

Kidwoo had first hand experience with privileged travelers in almost every outdoorsy western town because of his 'ahem', experience traveling to every outdoorsy western town.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo had first hand experience with privileged travelers in almost every outdoorsy western town because of his 'ahem', experience traveling to every outdoorsy western town.
......most of it for work

We have a huge office in denver :rolleyes:

And one in boise, and one in helena, and one in portland, and one in salt lake....

We have one in tacoma too but I avoid that shithole like the plague

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This wouldn’t be Tokyo. You’d have much more room, likely an actual house. But you’d still be bakka gaijin, true

The thing I most appreciated about traveling to crowded parts of Japan as a gaijin, was the respect for my personal space that no one else received. Was really nice to have room to stretch while everyone else had their faces jammed into someone else's arm pit.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The thing I most appreciated about traveling to crowded parts of Japan as a gaijin, was the respect for my personal space that no one else received. Was really nice to have room to stretch while everyone else had their faces jammed into someone else's arm pit.
Too much patchouli cologne. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Living in a resort town during covid with pleadings from the hospitals to not come here because the staff were sick and dying, and then watching the condescending outrage from an entire population bitching about the service, literally not caring about people dying because they wanted to go skiing or biking or some shit snapped something in me that will never go back.
No argument here. COVID, and watching how people have acted/treated others, has permanently altered a bunch of my relationships and views on the world. It's mind-boggling to watch people act with such entitlement when the literal lives of others are on the line.

Probably contributed to my inability to take the joke there - it's intolerable to be associated with such trash.

You sound like an extrovert. :D
Eh. I've sat inside 3 restaurants in the last 3 years, and zero bars, and even before COVID I didn't go out a ton. But having traveled a LOT over the last decade+, and having lived in a bunch of different places of varying sizes and demographics, I've come to recognize that there's a vast chasm between not going out a lot, and not having any options at all.

I have nothing against extremely rural living. I spent much of my childhood on farms, and my mom's side of the family lives in BFE. But I do think that some people romanticize the lifestyle just because people annoy them, and forget that moving hours away from the nearest medium-sized city removes a lot of their active choice. After being in some of those places... it can get old.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Too much patchouli cologne. :D
Nah, just being a white boy was sufficient, I think the beard was a exclamation point. On two different occasions I had people in restaraunts ask to get reseated when me and my coworkers were sat next to them. Always older couples, understandable to a certain extent considering what they most likely experienced from the US Army Air Corps.

1674003298039.png

That being said everyone else was super friendly and helpful.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A MAGA hat might work in your neck of the woods?
not gonna lie, I've thought about it....

The only thing more annoying than the people who infest this place would be the people who DO start talking to me because of the hat. There's a fuckin proud boy chapter just down the hill in carson city, nv afterall

plus I'd have to actually like, buy the thing

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
plus I'd have to actually like, buy the thing
Screenshot 2023-01-17 181647.jpg

Would probably get rid of both demographics. The left for the appearance and the far right when they phonetically finish reading it.

Just don't wear in San Fran unless you're looking for a good time.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's a good point, and one that re-affirmed my decision to never move to Texas, or to have my parents take custody of my kids if something were to happen to my wife and I. I hadn't really considered that with regard to Idaho, mostly because I'm not seriously considering it.
We did the same re: Texas. It led us to changing our will & trust to remove the TX family from having and taking care of the girls.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i do not think the homeless have had a advocate since mitch snyder and the community for creative nonviolence in the 80's in DC....

one nationally known

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Semi-serious thread tangent:

Could Poops' desired life be found in Europe for a reasonable price? I recall rural Italy paying people to move to their hollowing out country towns. Not sure wrt remote employment, amenities, etc. but something for y'all to ponder and daydream about

@buckoW may have the scoop?
Japan is paying people stipends and providing buildings to move to the sticks…

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
you had me at "Japan is paying people stipends and providing buildings to move to the sticks…"
Not sure if you are making fun of me, but rural mountainous Japan is a blast…if you can handle rural life.

As mentioned earlier, you (whitey) will always be an outsider, but that has its advantages. Just need to accept the fact that racism is just as nasty in Japan as it is here, but you get to be on the receiving end.

It IS the back up plan for the wife and me…when some idiot out here burns western oregon to the ground or some shit like that…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No, Woo, that is fairly common all over the globe. Food is important.
I like how pointing out the priviledge of rating restaurants as a proxy for the value of a community morphs into "people have to eat"

You should stretch before those gymnastics, you're gonna pull something.

Shit... You might actually be average height there.
no way man, I'm 3"2" on the internet!