Quantcast

Colorado Monkeys

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Japan is fun and pretty dang safe seeming. Vietnam would be fun also but a little less safe. Cambodia even would be an interesting time.

Here in WA, if I didn't live in Yakima the options are decent. I would consider Sequim, anywhere on Whidbey except Oak Harbor, Anacortes, and Chelan.

IMO trick is to be in a community of 60-100k that is 60 to 120 miles from the city. Quasi rural is a damn good life if going to the pub isn't on the agenda.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I like how pointing out the priviledge of rating restaurants as a proxy for the value of a community morphs into "people have to eat"

You should stretch before those gymnastics, you're gonna pull something.

no way man, I'm 3"2" on the internet!
Not ‘rating restaurants’, but appreciating (and even revering) great food as a vital part of a local culture.
And something that brings people together, and creates a common bond, a shareable bond.

You need to travel more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seems fitting

Despite my best attempts not sure how I can shit on this thread more than it has been. It is like the Germans have their own online version of Jason Bourne.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like how pointing out the priviledge of rating restaurants as a proxy for the value of a community morphs into "people have to eat"
Yeah. That's still not what happened.

Valuing food as a cultural staple is not the same as conflating 5-star restaurant reviews and community worth.

IMO trick is to be in a community of 60-100k that is 60 to 120 miles from the city. Quasi rural is a damn good life if going to the pub isn't on the agenda.
That community size is double what I was envisioning, but I agree with the idea. <2 hours from a decent sized metro with an airport, and <20 minutes from a couple of reasonable grocery stores, is about the sweet spot for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah. That's still not what happened.

Valuing food as a cultural staple is not the same as conflating 5-star restaurant reviews and community worth.
No the second one is not what happened until later :rofl:

You literally were ranking a place to live based (partially) on the appeal of the available restaurants. And THEN you and rideit started to describe another tangent about food in general as a cultural staple after the fact.

You didn't say I wouldn't live in some of these rural italian villages because the culinary styles don't truly represent the medditeranean heritage of the region. You said You won't find an interesting restaurant for miles around,

Nevermind the underlying framing premise that other cultures exist to primarily to be sampled by fancy travelers...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
No the second one is not what happened until later :rofl:

You literally were ranking a place to live based (partially) on the appeal of the available restaurants. And THEN you and rideit started to describe another tangent about food in general as a cultural staple after the fact.

You didn't say I wouldn't live in some of these rural italian villages because the culinary styles don't truly represent the medditeranean heritage of the region. You said You won't find an interesting restaurant for miles around,
He probably should have said, "You won't find a restaurant for miles around"... because *any* restaurant in an Italian village is sure to be interesting. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I picture that place like durango. As in overrun with uncivilized australians much like durango is overrun with uncivilized texans.

You seem to imply that there is such a thing as a civilized Austrailian. And Texans for that matter.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That community size is double what I was envisioning, but I agree with the idea. <2 hours from a decent sized metro with an airport, and <20 minutes from a couple of reasonable grocery stores, is about the sweet spot for me.
I choose the 60-100k sized city because generally theres better options and more stores to find stuff. Plus it's easier to hide in the folds. Those small towns are nice also but one becomes a "local" very quickly. Not that thats a bad thing necessarily.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Woo, dude, this is all complete horseshit.

I provided no information whatsoever, in fact. You injected everything you subsequently railed on. All I said was that, if places to eat outside of the home were of interest to a prospective resident, that wouldn't be found in a lot of these places that were seeking to bring in new residents.

Local or foreign, authentic or not, none of that mattered or was part of my comment.

Nevermind the underlying framing premise that other cultures exist to primarily to be sampled by fancy travelers...
Not only was this, again, imagined by you - but it's directly contrary to what was being discussed, which was living in these places. Not sampling as a fancy traveler. Living there.

If you're a human being who occasionally goes out to eat to a place that's not a fast food chain, it's probably because you enjoy food. It's not offensive to include food options in your local area as a consideration for whether you'd enjoy living there :rolleyes:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'd say you western nc ticks a lot of your boxes (asheville area @binary visions can comment). too bad it's full :D
so maybe western va (harrisonburg area)?
i forget who i made mad from nc when i commented on the lack of deodorant worn and clean air at a COC reunion show in asheville....