Quantcast

Changing travel on totem solo air

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's not mentioned on sram's website but BTI claims the solo air is capable of multiple travel settings by moving a spacer. 180 stock down to 150 somehow.

Anyone know how to do this or is BTI full of it?

Edit: says so in the totem manual too but also claims the info is on the website :rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
PM Mouse Monkey on here...he lowered his to 140mm I believe for use on the Nicolai 4x frame. Same A/C as the Pike.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You just need to add spacers where the negative spring/top out bumper sits.

So pull the lowers off, remove the circlip on the 'spring' side and remove the spring shaft that attaches to the lowers (it will have a seal head on the end, a top out bumper, and a washer/disc/ring that the circlip sits against). Now add spacers between the seal head and the top out bumper.

Not sure if the fork comes with the spacers or not...I am guessing you would need to find some all travel spacers.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Funny you mention this kidwoo, as I was just thinking about doing it last week. davep pretty much sums it up perfectly. Interestingly, SRAM advertised the travel as internally adjustable from 150mm to 180mm with All Travel spacers for 2007. It was on their poster as well as their tech. info. The fork is unchanged for '08, but they removed the wording. I called SRAM and the tech flatly denied they ever advertised it and stated he was looking at a '07 poster that said nothing about it - flat lied to me. As much as I like their products, their "tech support" is some of the worst out there.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Im pretty sure it doesn't matter what the spacers are as long as they fit the shaft and aren't so wide that they bind inside that stanchion. When I lowered my argyle which in theory would be the same process... I brought the whole rod assembly and top out bumperto Lowes with me and found plastic washers that fit on to the rod but weren't a larger diameter than the top out bumper... Works fine.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I have some input on this. I did lower mine to 140mm using two 20mm all-travel spacers. I ran into two issues, which might explain why RS is backing off from the whole idea.

1. One of the spacers came unseated from the shaft. A single spacer would have more "grip," but I have never seen a taller RS spacer.
2. The top-out bumper is larger, different from the ones in the smaller forks, and I can see how you could mess it up by using the standard all-travel spacers.

My solution has been to make a spacer that more closely resembles a wide spool. It has nice big flat ends that won't tear up the bumper, and since it doesn't snap on the shaft, it can't come off. I will be testing it shortly since I want to lower my fork to 150mm.

In short, it's easy to do, but not necessarily the way RS originally recommended.

JMH

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have some input on this. I did lower mine to 140mm using two 20mm all-travel spacers. I ran into two issues, which might explain why RS is backing off from the whole idea.

1. One of the spacers came unseated from the shaft. A single spacer would have more "grip," but I have never seen a taller RS spacer.
2. The top-out bumper is different from the smaller forks, and I can see how you could mess it up by using the standard all-travel spacers.

My solution has been to make a spacer that more closely resembles a wide spool. It has nice big flat ends that won't tear up the bumper, and since it doesn't snap on the shaft, it can't come off. I will be testing it shortly since I want to lower my fork to 150mm.

In short, it's easy to do, but not necessarily the way RS originally recommended.

JMH
Thanks man. That shape you describe is exactly what the fox vanilla spacers look like. The ones I have are 30mm (if memory serves)......I'm looking for a 10mm spacer.

I'll take the thing apart tonight and see if the fox one fits. Then maybe you could just use at least one of those.

The only 'all travel spacers' I've found are for old sid/psylo type forks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You should be able to remove the bumper and then slide on any amount of solid plastic washers/spacers. That would make solid platform for the bumper to contact...making sure it does not get messed up.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
You should be able to remove the bumper and then slide on any amount of solid plastic washers/spacers. That would make solid platform for the bumper to contact...making sure it does not get messed up.
That was what I was trying to get across with my half assed explanation of how I did my argyle. Bases in the parts diagrams I have for the totem there isn't anything pressed on to the bottom of the rod so it will work just the same for the totem.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so i need to bump this, is there ANY way to lower a coil Totem?

Folks seem to be lowering coil forks by cutting the springs and inserting a spacer with alot of other forks can anyone comment?