Quantcast

Chain Effect On Suspension

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
@HAB reported he felt a difference under braking, which makes sense within the context of what Steve was talking about - https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ochain-anti-pedal-kickback-device
This is my experience as well, running it on a bike with a Hydra hub, high anti-squat (105%+), and high anti-rise (100%+).

I think the high anti-rise number compounds the affect, as it means that when you're on the bike, it will sink into the rear travel more than a bike with AR in the 55% range. Further in the travel = lower leverage ratio (firmer suspension).

Braking hard on steep, brake bumped sections of trails, even with a 9 degree O-chain, my Megatrail/Hydra gives me more foot fatigue than my Levo/[whatever crappy Roval 3-pawl hub it has]. Same shocks, gear selection, tires, etc. Besides the motor freewheel that Gary mentioned, the Levo also only has ~55% AR.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yes me too @Avy . A fair few infact. Including that aftermarket one (brake therapy?)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And then they started designing in some “squat” into the “floating” brakes…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So if I drop my bike from being hand held like 2 feet off the air, drop it, and when it hits the ground, and the pedals/cranks spin backwards...that's not pedal kickback?
if your deraileur didn't have a spring loaded arm to feed chain then it would be. Thankfully there are pedals there to stand on and you weigh a lot more than the spring tension in the derailleur arm.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And then they started designing in some “squat” into the “floating” brakes…
Kona? The one with two mounting points that no one agreed on the best use for?
Lol

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yes me too @Avy . A fair few infact. Including that aftermarket one (brake therapy?)
Ok,my mistake. It was early in the morning. We know that the Floating Brake does isolate the Braking Force.

What I should have said is “How many have used a Brake Therapy”?

Gary,what Frame was it on? How much time before/after did you have on that Frame?
What was you’re thought’s.

Avy

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Ok,my mistake. It was early in the morning. We know that the Floating Brake does isolate the Braking Force.

Gary,what Frame was it on? How much time before/after did you have on that Frame?

Avy
I was thinking you guys were gonna bash it like many other have. Then I saw Westy talking about how the chain effect is not really a factor,when I think it is. To me,the chain and braking has a Big effect on Feel.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Avy
I haven't personally ever owned a bike with a floating brake. Just ridden others'

Thoughts? It's been a while. But rear braking on a decently implemented Horst link frame is fine for me.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's pure FOMO. Those French burglars gave a few of their gimmicks to some WC teams for free and the rest of the privateers followed suit.

The only thing keeping them from dominating the field is their product being too heavy to be featured in one of dangerholm's stupid projects.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
All the deniers.

How about braking bumps? Big ones?
Where the wheel can stop or nearly stop as it looses contact with the ground? And the suspension is extending below the sag point (particularly on frames with too much antisquat near topout). Only to crash into the next bump with a nearly stopped wheel.

Ride a mondraker summum and a commencial supreme back to back and tell me how the braking bumps feel.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
All the deniers.

Where the wheel can stop or nearly stop as it looses contact with the ground? And the suspension is extending below the sag point (particularly on frames with too much antisquat near topout). Only to crash into the next bump with a nearly stopped wheel.

Ride a mondraker summum and a commencial supreme back to back and tell me how the braking bumps feel.
So you're going all Microsoft here and telling me I have to band-aid my crappy suspension system with some gimmick instead of looking for a bike adequate enough for my riding skills/preferences?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Interesting. What is the expected end result? Is it between the models or compared to some other models?
The summum has more pk from top out to sag than the Commencial has over its entire travel

One bike erases braking bumps
The other might make you check that you are on your dh bike and not a hard tail as it hammers through braking bumps.

You guess which one is which.

Mondraker Summum CF 27.5'' 2015_Anti-squat.gif
Mondraker Summum CF 27.5'' 2015_Pedal-kickback.gif
Commencal Supreme DH 2022_Anti-squat.gif
Commencal Supreme DH 2022_Pedal-kickback.gif

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All the deniers.

wow, if one completely ignores axle path and leverage ratios that makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I have an idea for how to make the fox hub know when to engage and disengage. How do I contact them?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I’m using one. Keeps your feet much more planted, very noticeable after multiple park laps and the legs are getting tired/rigid. My bike has a load of PK. After buggering a chainring and needing to run Chainless, bike had no kickback. I run a standard 350 hub as well.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
did you try the O chain?
I tried it. and...
well, yes it has some floating. but. the patent is supposed to engage at the moment you pedal. and.... well... it doesnt. it has some floating when you start pedaling.
just use a cheap hub and you r good (smae as O chain)

I have an idea to make something engage and disengage automatic when pedaling\cruising\back pedal.
I hope Ill find the right way to do it.