Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Upper decides all around

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So I recently found out that I won a contest for an all expenses paid vacation to Moun Everest Base camp. It would leave on march 13 and I'd get back April 3rd. Having not anticipated this my gf and I had planned a trip to Europe at the end of may for two weeks.

I talked with my boss this morning and he said that I could do both if I wanted but I am essentially taking my career into my hands as there is nobody to cover for me while I am gone. The gist of the conversation was one of those I'm not going to tell you to not go, but you are screwing me kind of deals. I get three weeks of vacation per year, can use three floating holidays, and would have to take the rest as comp or unpaid time.

So what do you say Ridemonkey brethren? Do I throw caution to the wind, go on both, and deal with the ramifications later? Or do I pass on one trip so I don't screw my career?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How big a deal is it going to be if you lose your job? I mean, do you have some money saved? Does your girlfriend live with you and if so, is her job stable? If you lose your job, are you well-qualified for another job?

If you haven't sunk the money into Europe, and can't fathom losing your job, I'd just put that trip off. You have to do Everest. Have to. Europe will be there next year. But if you have some money saved and/or aren't going to be completely f**ked if you lose your job, do both.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I wouldn't be completely fvcked if I lost my job, probably have 8 months worth of savings built up if I were. And yes, gf lives with me but her job situation isn't stable enough to count on, not to mention I'm the clear bread winner.

And I'm a mechanical engineer, fairly well qualified too. I'd probably pull out unscathed

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If your boss is unwilling to give you a more definite answer, you should go and expect to have a job waiting when you get back. This is a rare opportunity and you should jump on it. It's pretty rare to regret doing something like this, way more common to regret NOT doing it. Just remember not to squawk if you get asked to cover for someone else in the future.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Take it from an old guy who's been sucked into a career and marriage his whole life. GO!! You're an idiot if you don't!!

and send back pics so I can live vicariously through your adventure.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wouldn't be completely fvcked if I lost my job, probably have 8 months worth of savings built up if I were. And yes, gf lives with me but her job situation isn't stable enough to count on, not to mention I'm the clear bread winner.

And I'm a mechanical engineer, fairly well qualified too. I'd probably pull out unscathed
oh, a mechanical engineer? pfffff you're fine.

Job interveiw in the future:

"so why did you lose your last job?"

"i went to climb mt everest"

in the field of mechanical engineering, i would consider this to be an acceptable response.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ehh, I am the lone voter for option 2, but I read that as "Don't be stupid...go on the trip!"

Honestly, I'd go on the trip and then start looking for a new job when I got back. I wouldn't want to keep working for a place that would try to hold me back from the trip and then lay a guilt trip on me for going. Any decent employer should value a work/life balance.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Considering you were already looking for a new job prior to all this.........I think the answer is obvious.

That and Matt might never speak to you again if you don't.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its just a trip to base camp only?
climbing Everest is one of my life goals and i hope to be able to do it within the next 10 years.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
1) Go to Europe and bang your girlfriend in some awesome romantic places

2) Go to MOTHERFVCKING MOUNT EVEREST

3) Come home feeling like a MAGIC KING

4) Go into the boss' office and insist on that promotion.

ruralrider

Chimp
Nov 22, 2011
NY
How many people can say that they have climbed Everest or even been there? Not many I think.... DO IT you may never have a chance like this again. You will be working for most of your life anyways!!!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Everest is once in a lifetime. On average you'll have AT LEAST 11 jobs in your lifetime. Unless you're two weeks away from curing AIDS or cancer, and you're the lynch pin for the project, GTFO!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Then screw it. Do them both.

You've got a month and a half in between the trips; work your ass off, get caught up, make sure they know you're not going to be easy to replace.

When you're done with it all, and they decide to replace you - so be it. But to be able to do two awesome trips with only the chance that they might replace you, at age 25, when you're qualified for another job and have a savings cushion? GO.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Your next job interview:

"Why did you leave your last job?"

"Mount. Fvcking. Everest."

"I see. You're hired."

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
go go go go go.

i didn't even start my career until i was 29. you've got plenty of time to make up for any hiccups.

hell, after everest i highly suggest you spend the next few years smoking weed and drinking tons and not worry about life-sucking jobs. once you hit 29 or 30, go back to school to get into something really lucrative that sucks your life away and you'll financially make up for what people like to call "lost time" that i choose to call "awesome time".

sure i was the geezer when i started in my field at the staff level but i've caught up to people my age that have been busting their hump since out of the gate from college.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
go go go go go.

i didn't even start my career until i was 29. you've got plenty of time to make up for any hiccups.

hell, after everest i highly suggest you spend the next few years smoking weed and drinking tons and not worry about life-sucking jobs. once you hit 29 or 30, go back to school to get into something really lucrative that sucks your life away and you'll financially make up for what people like to call "lost time" that i choose to call "awesome time".

sure i was the geezer when i started in my field at the staff level but i've caught up to people my age that have been busting their hump since out of the gate from college.
Who are you who are so wise in the ways of Science?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about RM! Another vote for do both!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Then screw it. Do them both.

You've got a month and a half in between the trips; work your ass off, get caught up, make sure they know you're not going to be easy to replace.

When you're done with it all, and they decide to replace you - so be it. But to be able to do two awesome trips with only the chance that they might replace you, at age 25, when you're qualified for another job and have a savings cushion? GO.
:stupid:

Can you do your job remotely?

Offer to check-in each day when you are in Europe and put out any fires that need it. Should help ease the concerns your boss has that nobody else can do your job while you are gone.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Thank you for setting me straight. I knew I could count on you guys. Trip has been accepted. Time to live in the moment and deal with any ramifications when I get back. Hard to believe that I'm leaving three weeks from tomorrow

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Thank you for setting me straight. I knew I could count on you guys. Trip has been accepted. Time to live in the moment and deal with any ramifications when I get back. Hard to believe that I'm leaving three weeks from tomorrow
Experience is king. I'm so glad I rode Silver Star before I broke my neck.

Also, I broke my neck at Silver Star.