Quantcast

Carbon V10

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Christiaan, I'm not into building ultralight bikes, but nonetheless i'm curious what your finished bike weighs? <16 kgs?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Love it. As always a great build. A stemcrown(chunked ones are awesome) and maybe reset or new straitline pedals would have made it pefrect. Give us the weight.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Amazing! You'll get well into the 20s with a new carbon swingarm... Scary stuff! You'll have to let us know how it rides.

It looks like you're running tubes as well. Surely not...?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my large v10c came with a 500lbs x 3.5" spring.

i thought the v10c (with the fox RC4) has a 3" stroke...can i use my 450lbs x 3" spring safely?
thats just how Fox prints their spring sizes. you can use your 3" spring that you have.

edit: does it say 3.25" or 3.5"?

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
According to what Christiaan posted elsewhere they are 3C EXOs.
Besides the tires legit build IMO. Well done! :thumb:
right, well, as pictured right there, it has 3c minions and weighs 13.450kg or 29.65lbs.

And if you try and tell me enve rims and 3c tires wont hold up to DH, I will laugh in your face.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
right, well, as pictured right there, it has 3c minions and weighs 13.450kg or 29.65lbs.

And if you try and tell me enve rims and 3c tires wont hold up to DH, I will laugh in your face.
Parts list he posted somewhere else:

Frame: 2011 Santa Cruz V10 Carbon Medium
Rear shock: Vivid Air
Headset: Chris King I4 Inset
Fork: 2011 Boxxer WC
Stem: Sunline V1 DM black
Bar: ENVE DH, cut to 760mm
Seatpost: Thomson Elite, cut short
Seat: Stripped Selle SLR
Wheelset: Tune MK/DT Aero/ENVE AM rims
Tires: Maxxis DHF EXO, 3c/60a
Tubes: Schwalbe Extra light
Cassette: Dura Ace 11-21 9 speed
Shifter, mech: SRAM X.O
Chain: KMC X9SL
Crankset: Clavicula DH 170mm
Chainring: E13 Guidering 36T
Brakes: 2011 Formula The One DH, 180mm rotors
Pedals: Twenty6 Prerunner Ti
Grips: ODI Ruffian

To enlighten you on the Maxxis EXO tires:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-minion-dhf-exo-review-2010.html

Ride some East Coast Rox with them and then laugh in my face. ;)

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
would you guys go with the vivid air or the DHX RC4? i want something simple and reliable. i've seen and heard of quite a few RC4s blowing their knobs off, but haven't heard much about the vivid air except you either love it or hate it.

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
Does anyone else have "issues" with V10C lower shock mount? Despite of blue loctite and torque wrench (both as instructed by Santa Cruz), the shock mount bolt seems to come loose. It causes creaking that resonates in the frame (often even when the bolt is tightened) and small up-down looseness in rear end that you notice when you lift the rear end by the saddle. There is also visible scoring on the bolt surface, threads and on sides of the mounting hardware. I was riding a bike park all last week and ended up servicing the lower shock mount two times (cleaning, greasing, loctiting, re-tightening). Because of this I'm thinking of getting RWC Shock Eye Needle bearing kit. This is what RWC said to me:

"Thanks for contacting us. Our kit number NBKRWC2185 fits both ends. The
rear mount has a lot of rotation and a big performance gain can be expected
by changing out that end. The frame mount end is optional."

In my email I said nothing about the problems that I have, but only asked for the correct part number for V10C. Thus it's "interesting" that they had similar comments about the lower shock mount..

Otherwise the bike/frame is perfect! :)

Last edited:

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Yep, same problem with mine and a buddies bike.

On mine it didn't come loose but I can also see some abrasion on the lower link.

I've also looked at the RWC needle bearing. But I have two reservations: You'd have to buy their installation tools as well, bumping the price up quite high.
And it seems logical that a bearing should handle the rotation better, but how does it stand up to the forces exerted on the shock?

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Yep, same problem with mine and a buddies bike.

On mine it didn't come loose but I can also see some abrasion on the lower link.

I've also looked at the RWC needle bearing. But I have two reservations: You'd have to buy their installation tools as well, bumping the price up quite high.
And it seems logical that a bearing should handle the rotation better, but how does it stand up to the forces exerted on the shock?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
RWC bearings are old news. They work well. I have had them on a couple of bikes for years, no issues. You don't need to buy a tool. Just use your std du bushing tool or the one at your LBS.

The RWS quote above is there standard statement, and is not related to the V10C. RWS just reduces rotational stiction. How is it going to solve your v10c issue? Am I missing something here? I haven't had my coffee yet.