Quantcast

Carbon V10

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Strange. My dealer informed me that SC is saying the frames are stuck in customs coming into California. He had said the SC rep had told him this week for sure and now it's hopefully next week.

Has there been a batch come in and get shipped out? Has anyone else received or got notice? Man I was hoping to have it for the US Open.

Brian
Well, mehukatti wrote that he is in Europe. Maybe they were able to ship directly to Europe without clearing US customs before.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im a giant, so I havent been able to really ride many bikes that fit me to get a good feel for them; a very limited perspective in that respect.

Most of my big hit experience is on an 03 Bullit, then an 06 VPFree, and both were great, the VPF was a big step in DH performance over the Bullit. That said, this thing makes the VPF feel like it was designed to suck. It fits, it wants to go fast, it takses the fear out of hi speed turns, it goes, goes goes. 1 day in 8.5" mode and Im sold. I am going to try 10" at Diablo this w/e due to major East Coast Rox..

it makes ma pee pee go - DA DOING DOING DOING!!

crackerjack

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
hi boys. I am running an rc4 in my v10 carbon. maybe one of you , who rides also an rc4 can give me a good setup for low, highspeed, bottom out etc.. I tried out so many things but can not find a well setup. I also noticed that trying out a 500 spring (have about 220 lbs) is quite good on the sag *have 36% but the bike gets very bitchy on highspeed and on roots. it does not stick very good on the ground. Trying out a 450 spring is much better but SC recommends with my weight a 500 and on big jumps I can see that the 450 is a little bit less.
thats the reason why I would like to get a good setup from you guys.

I also can not understand how peaty, who weights about 90 kg (about 195 lbs) is riding a 550 spring in his vivid, and minaar too!
but they have maybe different shims too and I used to hear that people running vivids should take a 50 spring more than on a rc4.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The reason you don't like the 500lb spring is you're not running enough rebound damping with it.

Try it with the HSC & LSC in the middle, the bottom out 1/3rd of the way out, and 160psi. Ride and play with the rebound setting. Start with it fast and keep going slower till the rear end feels like it's not coming back quick enough to take the next hit. For real DH I like a pretty slow rebound. When riding smoother jump trails I speed it up one click.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I'm 6'5", 195 lbs after a couple beers and run a 550# spring. This was the spring suggested to me by Fox based upon my size and riding style. If you are over 200 lbs I believe you would benefit from a stiffer spring.

Attachments

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im running a 550 for 10" mode at 247lbs and it seems nice. Im wondering if anyone has some feedback on the Vivid 5.1 -- I have the rebound cranked in, but it still seems fast. The end stroke rebound is open.

Any suggestions on settings? If its still this fast is it blown? 3 days on it, and it seems packy and blah - I thought Id give RS a try, but want to try diff settings before I get the Avy or CCDB to replace it.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

2kansharan

Chimp
Dec 1, 2009
have gotten about 7 rides in on it now and rode it on a decent track yesterday and it is performing flawlessly, The vivid air has its good points and slight difference than a coil but not enough to out weigh the good. Rolls and just plows as well as pops.

Let me know what you think

Attachments

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
Rode my V10c for the first weekend and... this bike is great! It is like glued to the ground which in turn provides great traction! But it still jumps well. And the slack HA with -1 cup is really confidence inspiring. I feel much faster on this bike than my old Demo 7. It is real quiet too, as I have Frame Wrap tape taking care of chain slap. I'm currently running a 400lb spring and I feel it is perfect for me (77kg/169lbs w/o riding gear). Only negative thing is that after first wash up it developed a slight creaking in the linkage, which went away when I sprayed in some WD40. Maybe this will be necessary after every wash?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
have gotten about 7 rides in on it now and rode it on a decent track yesterday and it is performing flawlessly, The vivid air has its good points and slight difference than a coil but not enough to out weigh the good. Rolls and just plows as well as pops.

Let me know what you think
Incredible looking bike. Think you had a few other pics posted earlier in this thread too - very nice.

Care to elaborate on the poor points of the vivid air?

Is anyone having issues with fade on these new vivid shocks? The main reason I went to the CCDB was to avoid this. I guess it might be difficult to dial a CCDB in on this bike though.

Rode my V10c for the first weekend and... this bike is great! It is like glued to the ground which in turn provides great traction! But it still jumps well. And the slack HA with -1 cup is really confidence inspiring. I feel much faster on this bike than my old Demo 7. It is real quiet too, as I have Frame Wrap tape taking care of chain slap. I'm currently running a 400lb spring and I feel it is perfect for me (77kg/169lbs w/o riding gear). Only negative thing is that after first wash up it developed a slight creaking in the linkage, which went away when I sprayed in some WD40. Maybe this will be necessary after every wash?
Which linkage? It's probably down to a bit of grit in the washers next to the bearings - nothing to worry about and as you say a touch of light spray lube will sort this out.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You're running max beginning stroke rebound and min end stroke rebound? And it feels packy, yet fast?

I'd open up the BS rebound and crank the ES in 2/3rd of the way to start out.

Here's some info on Vivid C and Vivid A setting s:
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Real-Life-Comparison-Vivid-Air-and-Vivid-Coil,32
Thank you sir, I shall fiddle away this evening. It rides well, just feels super fast for maxed out in parking lot test.

Now to get the darn Angleset to STFU..

Also, for anyone that gives a hoot: 41.5lbs - going to try Tubeless (823's) and the fork is no lightweight (888 RC3 with X-Heavy spring)

Tubless should bring me under 40.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
The reason you don't like the 500lb spring is you're not running enough rebound damping with it.

Try it with the HSC & LSC in the middle, the bottom out 1/3rd of the way out, and 160psi. Ride and play with the rebound setting. Start with it fast and keep going slower till the rear end feels like it's not coming back quick enough to take the next hit. For real DH I like a pretty slow rebound. When riding smoother jump trails I speed it up one click.
Hi mate. thank you very much for your tip. I will try it this week when I will take again some runs at the WC track in maribor. my problem is that I tried it out with slow rebound (1 click before being totally at the end) and this feeling was still there. but will try it with 160 PSI cause I had before 150 in the chamber and had also the HSC totally open (-) because I read on the fox page that they suggest leaving it open. Do you mean with 1/3rd of the way out on the bottom out with -? first totally on + and then 1/3rd (should be about 1,5 turns) on -?
I feel all the time that something is there which is not letting my wheel stick on the ground totally. the rear triangle should not bump such on a 10 inch bike. used to ride m6 and 951 with CCDB before and it worked excellent but now I have some troubles with the setup.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Only you can feel what's happening but just make sure you have a clear idea of what traits each adjustment affects. Because you are heavier I was thinking less volume and more pressure. If you're near the end of the rebound range maybe a custom tune is in order.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Got mine today and built it up this evening, 35.4lb. Pics tomorrow.
Here's some more weights*:
V10c large frame: 7.25lb, Vivid Air: 1.3lb, Total: 8.55lb
V10.3 large frame: 8.49lb, DHX MX Tune w/Ti spring: 1.87lb, Total: 10.36lb

*No seat collar (20g) or axle (50g).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Got mine today and built it up this evening, 35.4lb. Pics tomorrow.
Here's some more weights*:
V10c large frame: 7.25lb, Vivid Air: 1.3lb, Total: 8.55lb
V10.3 large frame: 8.49lb, DHX MX Tune w/Ti spring: 1.87lb, Total: 10.36lb

*No seat collar (20g) or axle (50g).

Nice..

My XL with Vivid and Spring, comes in at 9.86lbs including axle and seat clamp (Foo 'collar')

7.53 with axle and seat clamp and shock hardware but no shock/spring.

Numbers. Yay - its 41.6lbs as built, but it's an XL and Im a giant so also yay.

Last edited:

k1creeker

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
Got the call from my shop that my large frame just arrived, so it looks like large's are shipping.
I guess I was lucky in the sense that I just placed the order a week ago. Much different experience than when I ordered my large nomad a year ago.

Can't wait to build it up and ride.:thumb:

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
What is the real world BB height?
Mine is just under 14.25 that's with the fork as low as it can go, a 1* offset LOWER cup, 0* upper and cut wetscream tires.

Anyone else get linkage creak after a wet ride? It started about 2/3 of the way down the trail on my first run on the new bike. Sounds like a donkey. I greased the bearings when I got home and it's still there. WD-40??

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Mine is just under 14.25 that's with the fork as low as it can go, a 1* offset LOWER cup, 0* upper and cut wetscream tires.

Anyone else get linkage creak after a wet ride? It started about 2/3 of the way down the trail on my first run on the new bike. Sounds like a donkey. I greased the bearings when I got home and it's still there. WD-40??
Is a BB height above 13.5" Ridemonkey approved?