Quantcast

car stereo install . help?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I got an alpine stereo from a friend for free. He claims there's nothing wrong with it, he just upgraded. I buy all the supplies, wire it into my car, and when I go to start the car, no sound. The little display works, the whole unit seems to be functioning fine except for the fact that it's not putting out any signals to the speakers.
I'm sure I managed to get at least one solid speaker connection out of four. Is there a setting that I'm missing? What the hell?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what kind of car is it? and was their a "upgraded" stereo that came with the car?
you might have a factory amp that you will either have to bypass or buy a amp byass kit from Metra, if its available for your car.
if you have a Bose system in your car, then you have a lot more work ahead of you!

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
quick way to test, if you have a spare speaker hook it up to any of the outputs of the stereo. If that works then there's probably some wiring left to do.

You'll probably also want to make sure it's not muted or something silly like that.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
wOOdy,

I need your new mailing addy bro! I gots somsing I think you may like!

PS,

Sorry but I have nothing to add regarding your stereo. But if sammich says you needs some new speakas, then maybe you do!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hopefully it was just the crappy stock stereo, but I'm willing to bet they are blown and thus the reason you're not getting any sound. I would be that the other on may have been on it's way out. You can probably find some cheap replacements around somewhere somehow.

I trust your technical skills in the install, I doubt you did much wrong, especially on a 96 civic.