Quantcast

Campers

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
hell my Lariat Trim F350 has more stuff in it that I will never use I can't imagine buying Platinum. I am partial to our rigs heated and cooled Leather seats though.
ya it’s bs. It had been on the lot 300 days so I got a deal. Everything I wanted. I’d rather have a king ranch. It has massaging seats. Haven’t used em in a year.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What a shit show. Less than ideal, one could say. When they said you walked across the road to the river, I was expecting a dirt road, or at least a less traveled one. It also seems our "camp site" in the rock quarry used to be where the locals went to get shitty. Had at least 3 different vehicles pull in during the night, all left burn out marks when they left. At least one left 2 long neck Bud Light bottles behind.

We decided not to stay another night.
IMG_20200724_180903.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What a shit show. Less than ideal, one could say. When they said you walked across the road to the river, I was expecting a dirt road, or at least a less traveled one. It also seems our "camp site" in the rock quarry used to be where the locals went to get shitty. Had at least 3 different vehicles pull in during the night, all left burn out marks when they left. At least one left 2 long neck Bud Light bottles behind.

We decided not to stay another night. View attachment 147877
Those Iron stains appear way to high up that cliff. Are you in Wisconsin or Minnesota?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

We decided not to stay another night. View attachment 147877
dude, im afraid your camper looks so sketchy, that shit is gonna follow you everywhere.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I would like a teardrop. But only for solo or two people (where the second person has their own tent or tear drop). Carry extra stuff and just jump in and out.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Looking up floor plans with that door and window layout: Globetrotter 25’?
ya! with the twin beds. we are very happy with the twins. more space for standing around and getting ready. Much easier in the middle of the night. Makes it feel like a mini hotel room with the curtain drawn. Kids can stay up front and watch tv, while me and Karla have drinks away from mosquitoes or read. Not all places camped at are destination, just waypoints.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Some of you folks drive diesels (right?)

Since I don't have a "FINANCEE" like @Full Trucker I'm back on the used Promaster dirt-bag camper.

[FT: How much is that /////Sprinter in the window... I'm trying to stay <$30K all in]

As much as a Ford Transit would cover my seating needs and then some the rear wheel drive ONLY option blows (drifts...) so I'm back to Plan A again and adding a second row of seats to cargo van...

I'm on the hunt for Promaster and noticed they make (harder to find) diesel version of their cargo van.

Seems like the used pricing (vs gas) isn't that much different especially given longer engine life and better fuel economy (26 mpg is more better than 17...) but I've never owned a diesel before.

I gather less frequent but more expensive oil/filter changes and more expensive repair work, but seems like a fair trade off for more power and longevity.

Any diesel bro-dozer owners have any thoughts pro / con?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The Ram ProMaster, a Fiat Ducato with ram-head logos, is a detestable, shovel-faced thing that appears to have been cobbled together from spare parts. Too harsh? No, not really. The ProMaster itself is an insult. It is the only vehicle in any comparison test in memory to receive zero points in a subjective category from one of our voters. That would be for its dreadful single-clutch automated-manual transmission. The other voters each gave it one mercy point. Pull out onto a busy road and the vehicle comes to a near stop as the transmission pauses to find the next gear. It’s not just annoying, causing your head to bob fore and aft with every shift, it’s scary. The steering system is loose and numb and connected to a steering wheel that feels only a few degrees from a horizontal orientation. It’s better than the steering in an ex-military Hummer H1 or a Mercedes-Benz G-class, but worse than everything else.

Its 3.0-liter inline-four turbo-diesel makes more power than the Mercedes’ smaller-displacement four, but the ProMaster returns the slowest acceleration in the test by two seconds to 60 mph. This despite being the shortest and lightest of the vans. It also takes the longest distance to stop from 70 mph. It was the loudest van, it was judged to have the worst ride, and its handling properties were bottom rung.

VIEW PHOTOS

MARC URBANO
Oh, and judging by the contorted position that Fiat/Ram forces the ProMaster’s driver into, the company must really hate plumbers and delivery drivers. Why? We don’t know.
Sounds like a peach.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

Sounds like a peach.
Not surprising that Sprinter/Mercedes is nicer, but alas I am not a doctor... nor a doctor's /////wife ;)

ETA: the purpose of this rig is hard sided camping at my favorite biking trailheads (90%) in grizzly country with the occasional road trip (10%)

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I don't own one, but have plenty of friends that do. And the Sprinter we just rented/borrowed is diesel. I liked it.

Since I don't have a "FINANCEE" like @Full Trucker I'm back on the used Promaster dirt-bag camper.

[FT: How much is that /////Sprinter in the window... I'm trying to stay <$30K all in]
We're hoping to buy that Sprinter for <$20k actually. It's older and "high" miles but is outfitted nicely and well taken care of.

As much as a Ford Transit would cover my seating needs and then some the rear wheel drive ONLY option blows (drifts...) so I'm back to Plan A again and adding a second row of seats to cargo van...
Ford Transits are now available in all-wheel drive. Older Transits can be Quigley'ed i.e. converted to 4x4.

I'm on the hunt for Promaster and noticed they make (harder to find) diesel version of their cargo van.

Seems like the used pricing (vs gas) isn't that much different especially given longer engine life and better fuel economy (26 mpg is more better than 17...) but I've never owned a diesel before.

I gather less frequent but more expensive oil/filter changes and more expensive repair work, but seems like a fair trade off for more power and longevity.

What I like about the diesel is the fuel economy, the pep from the turbo, and that you can install and run a heater that's plumbed to the fuel tank.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Not surprising that Sprinter/Mercedes is nicer, but alas I am not a doctor... nor a doctor's /////wife ;)

ETA: the purpose of this rig is hard sided camping at my favorite biking trailheads (90%) in grizzly country with the occasional road trip (10%)
Given your non-winter use case, I question your need for 4x4 really. Good ground clearance and decent tires will get you far. But if you really want 4x4, you might look into Econoline/E350 platform... you can find empty boxes for under $30k for sure and then build it out. The holy grail 7.3L diesel is said to be bullet-proof.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Econoline/E350 platform... you can find empty boxes for u
I don't need 4x4 or high clearance per se, but the (used) Transits are all rear wheel drive which concerns me re: snow.

By the time my real estate 'winnings' land (I haven't cashed out on the sale of the adjacent lot yet...) some of these 2020 models may hit the used market.

I'm not a "car guy", and have never bought a new car, so am shopping for lower mileage 2-3 year old model re: depreciation / value / longevity...

Thanks for the Econoline tip, my ex-stepdad had a shag covered Ford Van growing up... circle of life and all that jazz...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Given your non-winter use case, I question your need for 4x4 really. Good ground clearance and decent tires will get you far. The holy grail 7.3L diesel is said to be bullet-proof.
This is true.
We accessed some gnarly places in our VW microbus campers with good tires and shocks.
I was raised to use 2x until you got stuck, then 4x4 to turn your ass around but would get it for winter use if you can afford it.

The holy grail 7.3L diesel is said to be bullet-proof.
They are good but have a tendency to catch on fire.
My brother lost his a few months back on the way to a rodeo.

1595879820937.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Maintenance is no doubt more expensive than a gasser, between oil changes, fuel filters, DEF, etc. We aren't talking huge numbers here, perhaps a few hundred a year depending upon how much you drive, but its a factor none the less.

The offset in MPG is also often offset by more expensive fuel and higher purchase price. That 20+ MPG sounds great on first glance, but unless the diesel premium is small on the secondary market it'll likely take tens of thousands of miles before it evens out. They are noisier than their counterparts, both inside and out. They are also physically heavier which can pose issues offroad and in sand conditions.

Do you do a lot of cold weather camping or driving? Cummins literature states that the block heater should be plugged in when temperatures dip below 0 freedoms, and I imagine the Ecodiesel is similar. Have I started it in lower temps? Yes, but it'll run rough until the engine warms up a bit. Likewise, diesel fuel can gel up in filters in winter; I've never experienced this down to about -15*, but it can happen.

Modern diesels aren't great if you spend a lot of time at slow speeds or idling. They want to run hot, otherwise the particulate filters clog up and throw you into limp mode. Lots of short start/stop trips are no bueno. Also, if you might find yourself in Mexico with this thing, good luck ensuring your fuel is low-sulphur. Speaking of which, some stations don't have diesel, but I've never encountered an issue.

Sounds like an awful lot of downsides, but there are upsides too. The torque is amazing. You can roll coal. Efficiency is nuts. Making the turbo whistle is intoxicating. You can plumb in a diesel heater easily. The fuel is safe and won't go boom on you. The engine will likely outlast the chassis around it. The engine rumble makes it feel like you are behind the wheel of a tank. Want to haul uphill with the A/C on at GVWR? Its up for the challenge!

Older, pre-emissions diesels are revered for their simplicity and durability. Well, except for 6.4L and 6.0L Powerstrokes, lolz. Newer stuff is laden with a host of equipment to lower emissions, EGR, EGR coolers, DPF, blah blah blah, and have sacrificed some durability to achieve that.

There's nothing wrong with going diesel, but its also not the promised land that some make it out to be. Just be wise as to whether or not you actually need it, then go in with eyes open and your wallet full.

Disclaimer: most advice here is based on my experience with a 2017 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. YMMV.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
They are good but have a tendency to catch on fire.
My brother lost his a few months back on the way to a rodeo.

View attachment 147972
Those 7.3s are also, almost literally, half the HP and torque of a modern diesel. People tend to forget that. Sure you can chip/tune to get more power, but wave goodbye to that purported durability and your spare change. They are also hellaciously noisy, difficult to find unmolested, and the newest ones are almost 20 years old.

But hey, different powerstrokes for different folks.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have never heard this, huh.

I just paid $0.20 less per gallon for diesel last week. That is certainly subject to change, YMMV, and all that.
True. Diesel was indeed cheaper in some locales, but tended to be the higher priced option more often than not.

Also, rofl @ step 1 of the maintenance procedure for a good number of Ford diesels requiring removal of the cab.