Quantcast

Campers

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Our van also has a diesel house heater, but no hot water. Might add that later? But we're not living full time so maybe not. Good point regarding single-purpose fuel sources, plus propane just "feels" less safe. I'll do a little digging on the diesel options. Also would consider electric induction, if something exists that can be run with the current (or slightly modified/expanded) battery situation.

Oh Jesus fuck Christ that's real money.
If you can find a diesel stove at a price you can stomach, awesome, do it. It would be amazing not to have to fill up anything outside of the vehicle fuel tank. Safer and far more convenient than having to find propane filling stations.

Speaking as someone who had a full, 20 lb bottle of propane empty itself into the inside of our camper.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What happened to cause that?
Guy didn't screw the overfill preventer back in after filling it up. A nice warm day later and it had all leaked out, and somehow ended up in the camper. We came back at 10 pm to find the natural gas detector blaring and had to carefully air things out for a few hours before reinhabiting.

Started carrying a natural gas sniffing wand after that and would check all fittings and connections for leaks after every fill up. Also replaced all soft lines and used a generous dollop of pipe dope.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
not my aesthetic for the finish, but build quality...whew.
Wifey watched this entire video last night, and she normally doesn’t do any time-wasting on the internet. She was really impressed with the electrical, plumbing, and overall engineering. (She has an engineering degree from Daaarthmouth) Hopefully it planted a seed for when we ditch the kiddo.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
It was a "rental unit" right?
No, this is the cushion from our pop up truck camper.

And while we did “rent“ the sprinter, we were the only people to ever rent it, and we did so with the sole intention of evaluating it to buy. The previous owner and his girlfriend used it for themselves.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
No, this is the cushion from our pop up truck camper.

And while we did “rent“ the sprinter, we were the only people to ever rent it, and we did so with the sole intention of evaluating it to buy. The previous owner and his girlfriend used it for themselves.
Cool beans

I bought our lance used. It was two years old. After the first weekend in it we discovered that the mattress had developed two troughs from the previous occupants. That got tossed and a real queen sized posturepedic mattress got put in its place. 10 years later still no troughs and we sleep like a rock in it

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In my teens I would go out into the Mojave in a non AC Land Cruiser mid summer with an Ice chest of cold beer between the front seats or a pony keg in a tub of ice in the back seat. Now days as a Senior Citizen I say eff that, gimme the damn AC. Trailer has 2" thick insulated walls and ceiling. The horse is accustomed to 95-105 degree days at the barn she will be fine. I have 3 12 hour drive days in a row, gimme fucking comfort

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We called ours P10's. The Boston Company had a fleet of them. We used them to back trailers into the loading docks of Boston Place. P10's are made by Chevy. Ours were made by GMC and set up like tractors. Same cab just no fancy bed. They were badass. I had fun working there. We were Teamsters. It was my first real job...
The P10 is the half ton chassis, Frita is a P30 1 ton dually.

There are some bad ass P10's because it's basically a standard Chevy truck chassis so there is a TON of aftermarket stuff.

I had not seen the truck version before this. It makes sense.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
My 'camper' got some use this weekend for the first time this season. Zero frills on this bad boy, but it'll go to some of the most remote spots and has a 3" thick self-inflating memory foam mattress.
20200808_232821[1].jpg

20200809_113034[1].jpg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Going fast is overrated. Really. Putting some deeper gears in those axels would probably allow you to climb the i70 in 2nd gear highrange.

At 26k pricepoint, however, the tiny little sliver of interest I had in that rig evaporated quickly...so many better ways to spend that much money...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
At 26k pricepoint, however, the tiny little sliver of interest I had in that rig evaporated quickly...so many better ways to spend that much money...
i think i could buy a decent used sprinter and build it out for 26k...because all i could see having in it is a bed...dometic chest fridge...counter top for grill....solar and rooftop ac...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Going fast is overrated. Really. Putting some deeper gears in those axels would probably allow you to climb the i70 in 2nd gear highrange.

It's got 4.88 in there, that seems pretty deep?

Agreed about the price point... it does look like it was built really well but that's a bunch of doll hairs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Probably.

Funny story - when I first moved out to CO I had an '81 Tercel. Used to drive it up to go skiing. I'd go up the Georgetown hill on the shoulder and would get passed by semi's. :rofl:
my 65 beetle would barely make it up to nederland...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Going fast is overrated. Really.
Not for me, it really isn't. We do a lot of 4 - 6 hour drives in our Sprinter, sometimes longer. I cruise at 80 for hours at a time and still pull at least 65 uphill (fully loaded). I'd go faster if I could, but for a number of reasons we've kept the 82 mph speed limiter.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
It's got 4.88 in there, that seems pretty deep?

Agreed about the price point... it does look like it was built really well but that's a bunch of doll hairs.
Yeah, I didn't look close enough or know enough about toyota specs to know that. Could prolly get 5.xx from yukon, but that still won't get you two third...

I am not sure.my Trooper would make it up and over the tunnel...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Not for me, it really isn't. We do a lot of 4 - 6 hour drives in our Sprinter, sometimes longer. I cruise at 80 for hours at a time and still pull at least 65 uphill (fully loaded). I'd go faster if I could, but for a number of reasons we've kept the 82 mph speed limiter.
I bet it does a great job of making emergency stops & swerves at that speed loaded...glwt...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stupid question, Bluetooth TPMS setup? I got an email about one that supports 20 valve stem monitors, but I really only need 6. It's like $400, but there are 4 tire systems on Amazon for like $50. They have ones that tie to a phone, others have a USB dongle to display on your stereo or something.

Thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea, but is the $400 setup THAT much better?

Stupid question, Bluetooth TPMS setup? I got an email about one that supports 20 valve stem monitors, but I really only need 6. It's like $400, but there are 4 tire systems on Amazon for like $50. They have ones that tie to a phone, others have a USB dongle to display on your stereo or something.

Thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea, but is the $400 setup THAT much better?
My experiment with TPMS was not a success. System was a PITA to set up and was unreliable. Screw-on sensors on valve stems are prone to theft and are mechanically questionable.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My experiment with TPMS was not a success. System was a PITA to set up and was unreliable. Screw-on sensors on valve stems are prone to theft and are mechanically questionable.
That was my thinking. All the reviews talked about false alarms and spontaneous reboots. Almost a good idea.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
TPMS was shit on the honda suv i had and is currently shit on the jetta wagon...