Quantcast

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Without getting in to polemics and half truths, I am curious, did you find that spacer part #27 in there? If so, what's its purpose?
Honestly....no clue what it does. As a couple of us have mentioned, either that in there OR the rib/shoulder in the bearing seat makes sense for bearing locating. Having both makes no sense functionally, as far as I can tell.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Honestly....no clue what it does. As a couple of us have mentioned, either that in there OR the rib/shoulder in the bearing seat makes sense for bearing locating. Having both makes no sense functionally, as far as I can tell.
Thanks, that's why I asked. It makes no sense to me either so I was curious if you actually found it in there.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You can see them in the pic I just posted.

Someone has mentioned maybe the design changed at some point and went from one method to the other, which would make complete sense. But nope, both were found in my frame.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Either way, everybody knows that a bearing needs a seat or it will just move freely under load. A spacer would not prevent said movement..
Uhh.....it does when it's bolted in and captured....

Edit: captured between the "fork" of the seatstay pivot and bolted in.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did anyone get exploded diagrams with their Nemesis Project bike?
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Trick Question! No one actually got a bike!!
I had a fork, stem and bar, the stem was okay, didn't get any exploded diagrams.
From memory I sold the fork for $50 and the bar got recycled, still have the stem.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Going by the diagram as shown, bearing - spacer - bearing would functionally work as the bearings are both seated against each other essentially via the spacer. Once the three are pressed in and captured in the seatstay yoke, they aren't going anywhere.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
With the space between the seat and chainstays that allows them to move independent of each other, I can clearly see that there is room for the chainstay to wiggle side to side..
Same situation would happen with firmly seated bearings. If there's "wiggle room" each bearing could work out a bit from their respective sides.

Besides, the yokes of the seatstay squeeze against the inner races of the bearings when tightened. That's how pivots work. If the width of the spacer is properly sized, you get a tight fit with no wiggle room and proper radial movement of the bearings.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Every suspension frame I've ever taken apart/put back together was definitely a pretty tight fit to get into place, but cycled through the travel under its own weight. No binding to be found.

Maybe your shit's worn out. :nerd:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm just pointing out the fact that, mechanically, a bearing/spacer/bearing arrangement would functionally work the same as 2 bearings pressed in from opposite sides against a common, fixed seating feature, since it is captured fully on both sides when assembled.

The fact the diagram even shows the spacer there only supports the idea that arrangement is there. That's all. I still have no idea what the point of that spacer is....haven't heard a single suggestion yet.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Older Turners used Igus bushings and pivot shafts that floated side to side freely, until trapped by the linkage they mated to. Same concept as what I am explaining.

BOOM.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Let's not be mean, he's a real person with real feelings.

One of which isn't how much force is required to remove a bearing before ass-ploding a bearing removal tool.
What’s amazing to me is no one seems to understand or care that feelings wouldn’t be needed if the drawing was correct.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Different bearing style yes, but as far as mechanical assembly, degrees of freedom and how they are limited it is identical.
Or, c clips locking them in from the outside. That way the bearings can’t migrate side to side and cause the clevis to contact the bearing seat. With just a spacer and no lip or c clip then the bearings could migrate side to side, no?