Quantcast

Build so far

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Here is my build so far. Let me know what you think and any parts I should reconsider.

frame-09 Intense M6 with Cane Creek
fork-09 888 RC3
brakes-Avid Elixers 8"
handle bars-EA70 mid rise
headset-Cane Creek Double Xc Flush
chain-Sram PC991
shifters and derailer-Sram X9
seat-WTB Rocket V ti
seatpost-Thompson Elite
grips-ODI Northshore
crank and bb-Gravity Lites w/LG1
wheelset-I9 with DT 5.1s
tires-Maxxis DHF 3c
tubes-Maxxis ultra lites

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A bit no to DT rims. I Second 721s.
Brakes I'd go new saints or formula (first impressions say that there is little power gain between juicy and elixir)
Chain - KMC or Yaban Gold SL - A bit lighter, last long and they are bling ;)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
X.0 shifter (and derailleur) would not be out-of-place on such a Gucci bike.

I would also go with a Boxxer instead of a 888, but I guess that's personnal preference.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Ive got the EX 5.1s and they are solid for sure. Mine arent white though, that wheelset looks absolutely sick. I agree though, why would you do a 888? Boxxer WC all the way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I don't really understand going from a Socom to an M6 for your version of an all-rounder, but whatever.

The thing with DT's is that they dent easily. If you are not a heavy guy and ride smooth stuff smoothly most of the time, you should be ok, but otherwise expect to replace at least the rear pretty quickly.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
A bit no to DT rims. I Second 721s.
Brakes I'd go new saints or formula (first impressions say that there is little power gain between juicy and elixir)
Chain - KMC or Yaban Gold SL - A bit lighter, last long and they are bling ;)

agree with norbar here, KMC x9SL chain is soooo smooth. i couldnt believe how well it pedaled and shifted compaired to any/all of my old chains. even my mech was impressed.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Umm, was this pic taken in a bikeshop or in your garage?? If the answer is the latter, then :shocked:
The pic was taken at Red Barn Cycles before I got my wheels. They are now on my Socom and they will be going on my M6. Im keeping the Socom. It will be my do all bike and my wifes bike when we ride together. The M6 will be used mostly for resorts and shuttles. This is the Socom at 37-38 lbs.

Last edited:

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
weren't you the one complaining at the price of the session 88 or the new gt?

yet you're getting a bike that's as expensive?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
weren't you the one complaining at the price of the session 88 or the new gt?

yet you're getting a bike that's as expensive?
I was complaining about the price on the Trek DH. Im building up the M6 for about $1500 less and Im picking EVERY part. A company pre-built bike should never be in the $6k-7k range. They get a screaming deal on all the parts, since they buy so many.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Straitline Pedals

Chromag 88 Stem (or the fancy Burgtec 888 DM if money is no limit)

(I've had the same pair of Straitline pedals on my Sunday for almost 2 seasons now, and they are still going strong, albeit some needed service.)

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use clipless Shimano DX.

How are the Codes or Formula brakes? Im not set on the Elixer CR just yet.

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've got Formula ONE brakes on my rig and coming from Hayes Mags to these is like night and day.

Stopping power is UNREAL. Just tapping the rear brake is like dropping anchor. Modulation is superb compared to Juicys I've ridden. Lever throw is progressive and predicatble, but finding your brake points during lever throw will take some acclimation. No discernable fade either. Great brakes.

One recommendation: use the Formula rotors with these brakes - they are thicker than Hayes and will give you better lever feel.

The only gripe I have is that when the pads wear down, the levers increase in throw, but that happens with other systems too. You can compensate for this a bit by using the lever reach adjusters to move the levers farther out from the bars.

EDIT: I'm running 203mm (8") rotors front and rear.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Formulas = light and strong. Oro's (biancos and puros) are minimaly stronger than the juicys so should be around the power of elixirs. Mega and One are stronger than that yet still crazy light.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
From which model? Check the bianco or puro as I remember it was veeeeery light. Ones are also very light. Check sicklines as there should be sth there.
Interbike showed formula new brake with more power than oro and lighter than ANY disc brake on the market.

From formula page:

Puro:
kit front standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 216g
kit rear standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 231g
adaptor+disc 160mm front 130g
adaptor+disc 160mm rear 139g
6 rotor bolts 6g
2 screws 6×18 6g
* Available for IS front and rear, BOXXER, FOX F40, PM 6”, PM 8” (160-180-200-203-220 mm disc)

Bianco:
kit front standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 239g
kit rear standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 254g
6 rotor bolts 12g
2 screws 6×18 12g

The One:
kit front standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 241g
kit rear standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid) 251g
6 rotor bolts 12g
2 screws 6×18 12g
* Available for IS front and rear, BOXXER, FOX F40, PM 6”, PM 8” (160-180-200-203-220 mm disc)

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How much better is the ONE over the Bianco. I like the polished look of the Bianco.

I was told it is hard to find parts and pads for Formula brakes. Has anyone had problems?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I live in yurp so I won't give you much feedback about availability but if you don't mind the looks of k24 just get it and change the lever to bianco 1 finger as it's basicaly the same brake(did the same at my k24s).

Dunno about more power. My oro's do the job great but probably there are a few ppl here who have them. Supposedly it's quite the differance - heard they are only a bit weaker than codes but it's not my opinion so don't take my word for that.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
No air for me either...that's why I run a Boxxer Team! :)
ditto. the 09 team looks like a killer setup, for a lot less money you just dont get the air.

all the money spent in parts and you didn't get a wireless bike computer?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
ditto. the 09 team looks like a killer setup, for a lot less money you just dont get the air.

all the money spent in parts and you didn't get a wireless bike computer?
I had the odometer, already. I tried a wireless and couldnt get it to work. Since I go through an odometer almost every season I usually get the cheapest one I can find.

I have a cheaper wireless in the garage for the M6 though. :)

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
If you are worried about weight on the brakes you could always go with a code caliper and Carbon or Ultimate levers?

Seriously though, think about the '10 Boxxer Team or Fox 40. Absolutely sick build otherwise though.

JR. GANGSTA

Chimp
Sep 18, 2008
Durango, Co
i had a pair of 5.1s on my sunday and they were way too soft. I weigh around 130 lbs and mine had 6 cracks and looked like a stop sign after 3 races, so i would recommend a different set of wheels.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I might just leave the I9s on my Socom and build another set of wheels.

What rims for I9s does everyone suggest that are light and strong? 721s?

Maybe I should just get a cheap set of wheels like Outlaws or Sunn A.D.Ds. Opinion?

Also, Im not set on the EA70 bars. I dont like the color of the Sunline. What other bar? I want a 28" bar with a mid rise. Gravity Lite bars?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Definitely go with Formula brakes, I've never had one issue with mine, and parts aren't hard to come by. I've never ridden Elixers but I have Juicys on two other bikes and they aren't even in the same league as my K24s. As for Rims, if it's only going to be a resorts and shuttles bike go with a I9s on 823s and never worry about having to rebuild a wheel.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I9 has their own dh rims now. They had them at interbike, 32mm wide. Give them a try.