Quantcast

Build so far

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hey Kanter, you do realize an M6 is not gonna feel good with a hammershmidt on there. The Vpp is designed around a 36-38 ring and the hammershmidt is a 22. There's gonna be a lot of bob.
The HammerSchmidt is actually a little bigger than a 22 ring.

My Socom doesnt feel that bad in granny. Ive pedaled worse bikes. The Vpp helps a lot for pedal bob even in granny.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
When we do all mountain riding he runs two rings and a bash. He shifts it by hand. He loses the chain once in a great while. He is trying to figure a way out to run two rings and a chainguide. When we hit the resorts he switches back to a single ring and a guide.

For awhile he ran a roller with a zip tie on the chainstay to hold the chain on the rings. It worked pretty good but he is stil trying to figure something out.
I'm toying with the idea of fudging a DRS to make it happen.
If he figures something out, I'd love to hear it! And vice versa if I come up with something.

Thanks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The HammerSchmidt is actually a little bigger than a 22 ring.

My Socom doesnt feel that bad in granny. Ive pedaled worse bikes. The Vpp helps a lot for pedal bob even in granny.
I know it doesn't feel that bad, I have a VPP bike, but I do feel a difference from granny to middle ring. The suspension is going to feel like the granny ring ALL the time, even when you shift up.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I'm toying with the idea of fudging a DRS to make it happen.
If he figures something out, I'd love to hear it! And vice versa if I come up with something.

Thanks!
Sweet let me know what you come up with.

I know it doesn't feel that bad, I have a VPP bike, but I do feel a difference from granny to middle ring. The suspension is going to feel like the granny ring ALL the time, even when you shift up.
Ya, what else could I do? I have to have a granny where I live. DRS, 2 rings, and shift by hand?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ya, what else could I do? I have to have a granny where I live. DRS, 2 rings, and shift by hand?
DRS with an E type backplate and an E type front der. You should be able to rig a cable stop on the backplate and zip tie the housing.

The problem solvers cable stops are what I'd normally reccommend, but there's no tube to mount it on an M6.

Really, an M6 is so purpose built DH race it makes me think you'd be better served by something else. It kills me to say this as I LOVE M6's and am a huge Intense fan.

The Rocky flatline has the geo you seem to be looking for and probably has the front der capacity too. Cove STD? a lot shorter on travel, but def has the geo and the burly going on.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
DRS with an E type backplate and an E type front der. You should be able to rig a cable stop on the backplate and zip tie the housing.

The problem solvers cable stops are what I'd normally reccommend, but there's no tube to mount it on an M6.

The Rocky flatline has the geo you seem to be looking for and probably has the front der capacity too. Cove STD? a lot shorter on travel, but def has the geo and the burly going on.
Funny enough, the Flatline can run the Hammerschmidt, as their "FR" model comes OEM with one.
The Flatline Pro is available as a frameset, can run the HS, that and a Gravity Dropper = success.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Instead of a Hammer Schmidt I think Im just going to go with Gravity Lites and a 36T. I cant decide on a chainguide though.

Gamut or LG1?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm happy with my LG1, great guide.

I'd look at some tougher cranks in a bike with such a low BB. Saints.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well the build is final and will be a go on Mon or Tues.

frame-09 Intense M6 with ti-Cane Creek in WORKS BLUE
fork-08 888 RC3 in WHITE
brakes-Avid Elixers CR 8" with carbon levers
handle bars-Gravity Lite 710mm wide, 40mm rise
headset-Cane Creek Double Xc Flush
chain-Sram PC991
shifters and derailer-Sram X9
seat-WTB Rocket V ti
seatpost-Thompson Elite
grips-ODI Northshore
crank and bb-Gravity Lites 36T w/LG1 or MAYBE Hammer Schmidt
pedals-Shimano 647 DX
wheelset-BLUE I9 hubs/spokes with WHITE I9 DH rims
cassette-11/34 Shimano XT
tires-Maxxis DHF 3c 2.5s
tubes-Maxxis ultra lites

Im hoping for 40-41 lbs. I know I would have hit it with a Boxxer, but Im going to give the 888 a try.

Pics will follow in about 8 weeks.... I hope.

Any last opinions?

Last edited:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I like the build, i do mysef 1 and half hour push/rides uphill on a 45lbs bike too to get 7minutes of downhill on abandoned trails

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I really cant decide on Gold I9s or Blue I9s? The blue will match the frame but will it be too much blue? The gold will match the CCDB. hmm

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I really cant decide on Gold I9s or Blue I9s? The blue will match the frame but will it be too much blue? The gold will match the CCDB. hmm
Yep, do the gold.....it'll be a good contrast to the frame and it'll match the CCDB. Blue wheels would be overkill.

--Ben

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Anyone else have an opinions on the color of the I9s with the works frame?

I think Im going to go with Blue hubs and spokes with white rims.

It will be a lot of blue but it should look sweet.