Quantcast

Brake Mounts & Headset Specs- Technical Discussion

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I run 203/185 on my DH, but thats what it came with.

I run 185/160 on my XC bike, and thats what it came with.

I am average weight (175) and would like 203/203 on my DH, my xc doesn't see much as far as super steep sustained hills, so I don't see much reason to upgrade.

I guess I sorta see the point for ultra lights, but don't see it being a concern for very many people

IthonEng

Chimp
Jun 16, 2012
Kickstand - Each to their own I suppose. If your comfortable with the larger brakes then thats whats best.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do any manufacturers actually produce zerostack 1.5" top cups? Majority are 1 1/8 top & 1.5 bottom for zerostack.

All the 1.5 top cups I have found are traditional press in 'external' bearings.
I think they're all external @ 1.5". So while you could go tapered, you'd have to go external lower cup. Or at least, that's what Cane creek suggested.

IthonEng

Chimp
Jun 16, 2012
Sandwich - Hope do an Internal 1.5 lower with bore Diameter of 55mm. Cannot get internal 1.5 for the top though. At least nowhere I can find?

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
1.5 isn't all encompassing, we have zs49,54.9 and 55.9. Hope have a good guide to headsets on their
Website but I can't get it to embed as I'm on my cell.

IthonEng

Chimp
Jun 16, 2012
yeti - Yes there are different bore diamters depending on whether its internal or external bearings.

I cannot find a supplier for ZS55 for forks with straight 1.5 steerer.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
No fork companies are producing a straight 1.5" steerer fork anymore. No need for a ZS56 (not ZS55) upper cup.

IthonEng

Chimp
Jun 16, 2012
Dogboy - That'll explain it then! So ZS49 top and bottom it is then. Then if decide to run tapered fork with 1.5 can run external cup on the bottom.

Sorted!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Dogboy - That'll explain it then! So ZS49 top and bottom it is then. Then if decide to run tapered fork with 1.5 can run external cup on the bottom.

Sorted!
Yep. Just to clarify...earlier you made a comment along the lines of '1.125 never had any strength issues for me'. This is a common misconception about 1.5 crown/steerers.

The main benefit is a better stiffness:weight ratio for the overall assembly (for a long travel SC fork).

with regard to post vs IS -- the jury has decided, and the future is post mt front and rear. I have mixed feelings about it, since a) as brakes improve, there are more situations/riders for which a 180 rotor up front is plenty, but some PM forks won't allow that (to use one example) b) the thread stripping issue -- I bought a used Lyrik with stripped threads on one of the mount holes -- was able to make it work via longer bolt and some tapping. Overall though I'm fine with that particular trend, however.

IthonEng

Chimp
Jun 16, 2012
Frorider - If the standard truly is going to PM then maybe forks will become more accommodating of smaller front rotors. Only time will tell but I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for it to happen.