Quantcast

Boxxer Team: 1mm space above and below the head tube

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Hi,
I have a Boxxer Team '08 fork installed on an EC-D DH bike. I took apart the upper crown to remove the brakes, and now that I've reinstalled it there are 1mm spaces above and below the head tube. Here are links to pics with red lines showing the spaces:
http://picasaweb.google.com/spamsync/Bike#5371906658296449266
http://picasaweb.google.com/spamsync/Bike#5371906661050901906

So my question is: is that spacing supposed to be there? I'm pretty sure no part came out (I didn't really disassemble everything, just lifted the upper crown). There are also 2 rubber o-rings one at each end of the head tube that may serve the purpose of covering the space to keep the dust out, but I'm still not sure that's the intent. I'm afraid of the damage and play that may develop if the spaces aren't supposed to be there.

I've looked through the tech manual but couldn't find anything to answer my question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I don't have that bike or headset, but I'd say the gap shouldn't be there; you're right in saying it will just let in dirt, it would be a pretty bad design if that was the case. I'd say it has little to do with your fork and more to do with something shifting inside the headset. Take that apart and make sure everything is installed as per the manual, then get back to us.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
On my gf's Transition Syren she has a Cane Creek headset that looks pretty similar. There is a small gap at the top and bottom that an o-ring sits in and takes up the space. Your pics seem to show a bigger gap though, so Im not sure.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

You probably unseated the bearings and don't have it torqued down fully. Make sure you have the dust seal as well in there (look up the headset schematic to see the right layout - you probably have an FSA Orbit Z)

edit- it also looks like you have the rubber dust seals resting on the headtube

Last edited:

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
So I understand what you guys are saying. I went back there and tried, there's still the <1mm spaces that can be covered by the dust-seal o-ring.

jvnixon: you have exactly the same setup as me. Underneath the rubber rings on the top and bottom of the headset there's no space? The headset bearings are 'fully attached' (touching on all the surface) to the crown race?

Thanks.

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
It looks fine but is missing the O rings to seal the gap. Looks like an Orbit 1.5 Z reducer to me.
Yes, it's a FSA Orbit Z 1.5" to 1-1/8" conversion. I've actually got the O rings but slid them to take the picture - so if I understand correctly, you're saying the gap SHOULD be there, just it should be covered with the O-rings?

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
i'm using the same FSA orbit Z 1.5R.
your installation is correct. the gap(s) should be there where they are.
don't worry about it. just be sure to put the o-rings in place (over the gaps).
go and ride now ;)