Quantcast

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I'm trying to decide what fork to put on my DHR, I havn't ridden either and have heard the new zokey stuff is cool and am willing to try it again. I'm basically looking for something plush and reliable, I ride fairly hard and would prefer something with less maintenance. What do you guys think, and what are your impressions of these 2 forks?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I would recommend the 888 based on "plush + reliable + low maintenance"

Both are very good forks, but the Boxxers outer legs need a tear down every so often for a clean and a fresh splash of oil/grease.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
honestly, you need to get a ride in on both, they are both nice, but ride different.

out of the 2, the 888 is by far plusher (imo) and definately lower maintenance.

but if its "better" or feels better to you is a different matter.

honestly, you cant go wrong with either one.

honestly, you need to get a ride in on both, they are both nice, but ride different.

out of the 2, the 888 is by far plusher (imo) and definately lower maintenance.

but if its "better" or feels better to you is a different matter.

honestly, you cant go wrong with either one.
by plusher do you mean softer? i have never ridden a 888 and don't want to sound too stupid but i don't understand what you mean.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
it just feels a lot more buttery.. if that makes sense ?

its not softer, thats just a matter of what weight the spring is set for, and i assume we count this a both using the same spring etc.

for me plush is when a fork just eats the small stuff chatter on the trail too, some forks do this better then others, the old 888s were famous for this, the new ones are even better, at least to me they are.

the BoXXer R2C2 isnt as plush, but holds the course/line you set out to hold just as good, so in racing terms they come out the same, but they have a distinct different feel to them.

ive ridden both, and i prefer the 888 by far, my best friend feels opposite of me, and rides a R2C2 instead, and is very happy with it.

I can only recommend on purchases like these, always try before buy, unless your sponsored and forced to ride a specific brand ;)

it just feels a lot more buttery.. if that makes sense ?

its not softer, thats just a matter of what weight the spring is set for, and i assume we count this a both using the same spring etc.

for me plush is when a fork just eats the small stuff chatter on the trail too, some forks do this better then others, the old 888s were famous for this, the new ones are even better, at least to me they are.

the BoXXer R2C2 isnt as plush, but holds the course/line you set out to hold just as good, so in racing terms they come out the same, but they have a distinct different feel to them.

ive ridden both, and i prefer the 888 by far, my best friend feels opposite of me, and rides a R2C2 instead, and is very happy with it.

I can only recommend on purchases like these, always try before buy, unless your sponsored and forced to ride a specific brand ;)
thanks so much for the clarifying...

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
thanks so much for the clarifying...
I think hes trying to say, plush means it has low friction in the seals/bushings that allow it to respond to smaller input better. Think of it this way your fork after you rebuild it would feel more plush than before because all the seals and bushings have oil/grease on them.

my boXXer gets the work over after every winter. so, once a year. but i ride my dj bike more often. maybe others go through theirs more.

and Mullet Dew... that makes tons of since an in that case the 888 might be the better choice.

i am super happy with my boxxer but never been on an 888... thus trust the guys who have ridden both.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
Boxxer service intervals should be done after x amount of hours, i forget the exact number, but in real world numbers.

everytime you service a 888, a boxxer would have needed 7-10 services.

boxxers performance are on par with anything else out there, they just require a bit more love then 888's and honestly its not hard or very time consuming to do.

Hell, i know some that enjoy doing those services, cos its mindnumbing easy ;)

personally i would love to try out some of the aftermarket cartridges coming out now too, CR1 avalanche etc.. to see how they improve on the different ride characteristics or negative points there are to each brand :)

pajamas

Chimp
May 23, 2009
everytime you service a 888, a boxxer would have needed 7-10 services.
I think it's worth mentioning that the boxxer service takes 5 minutes and requires like 20mls of oil. The 888 services takes half an hour and requires close to half a liter of oil.

I also service both and I prefer to service the boxxer even if it's more often.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Boxxer is 3-4 times/season in terms of service. Though why not get a boxxer race + avy? I'm sure I'm getting an avy for my wc.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
A complete kona operator rolled into my shop with the new boxxer on it and it seems that SRAM worked out the whole seal problem. There is a 2010 kona stab supreme and the new operator, both with the same forks, however the newer one feels smoother. I would still go with the 888 though. The boxxer seems to be getting better but keep in mind it is a new generation boxxer vs a well seasoned 888.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I think it's worth mentioning that the boxxer service takes 5 minutes and requires like 20mls of oil. The 888 services takes half an hour and requires close to half a liter of oil.

You can remove front brake, wheel, and lowers, then clean lowers, re grease, replace seal(every few services at least), re oil and reinstall everything in 5 minutes?
Or do you leave front wheel and brake on somehow, ppffft.
My Avy Boxxers felt perfect, but not when they needed to be serviced, stuff that. I have just got 2011 888Ti and they feel great after one short ride, I'll know more after riding today. If I cannot get them as dialled as the Boxxers were, I'll chuck the Avy cart in them. I'm guessing I'll do this anywy, but won't bother straight up, as the 888s are briliant. I'll only do it cause I can. Next years 888s will be even better.
I want oil lubrication in my forks, not grease thanks.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

I call BS on that! even if the boxxer is 1/4 the time, i have to account for setting the time asside to do it and going to a shop where i can use all the tools and doing it.

Boxxer is 3-4 times/season in terms of service. Though why not get a boxxer race + avy? I'm sure I'm getting an avy for my wc.
too much $$$$

ended up ordering the 888 today

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I call BS on that! even if the boxxer is 1/4 the time, i have to account for setting the time asside to do it and going to a shop where i can use all the tools and doing it.

too much $$$$

Isn't race + avy = team price?

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Right choice to order the 888 imho.
Rock Shox should learn the lesson that you can't sell crap to the people. Because that's what they did the last two years in case of the boxxer.
Marzocchi learned from their mistakes in the past.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Right choice to order the 888 imho.
Rock Shox should learn the lesson that you can't sell crap to the people. Because that's what they did the last two years in case of the boxxer.
Marzocchi learned from their mistakes in the past.
yup the mate who owns boxxer (dont remember what year) said my old Super T from year 2002 is better or equally good as Boxxer 2008 or it was 2007 lol.

When I tested several boxxer and 888 from other riders regarding plushness. it is definite difference. I dont doubt that boxxer tracks well btw. The weight of new 888 Evo is no longer an excuse.

p.s.
I see you have Summum, exciting!

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Good choice man. A year back I had the same question and had the same answer.
I had the chance to test the forks before deciding
After a year of riding they are even better than new. No bushing play, and smooth as hell.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I would suggest their "Works" tune as well. I had Santiago here in CO do mine, wow. It is the best fork I've had/rode. I've owned a 2006 Boxxer, 2008 40 and a Kowa. I've done a run on a 2010 Boxxer too.

I was still a fan of the Fox 40 until I had the Works tune done.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I would suggest their "Works" tune as well. I had Santiago here in CO do mine, wow. It is the best fork I've had/rode. I've owned a 2006 Boxxer, 2008 40 and a Kowa. I've done a run on a 2010 Boxxer too.

I was still a fan of the Fox 40 until I had the Works tune done.
What exactly does this works tune consist of?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The Works tune is done by Marzocchi. Ronnie will do it and in CO Santiago Garcia can do it. Santi is a friend of mine so I just dropped the fork off at his shop, http://www.acultureofspeed.com/ It's a new shop in CO, but Santi is the Marzhocchi authorized repair/service guy for this area and has been working with Marz for years.

What I remember him explaining was that they break in the fork for you, change the oil after that and tune it to your specs. I told him I wanted it very linear with more HS comp than LS. I can still change the compression/progression settings of course, but they will make the adjustment range more in line with how you want.

They also add some custom Marzocchi "liquid gold" as he described it. It's some super low friction additive and it is noticeable. If you thought the 888 was smooth before hand you'll be happy to know it gets smoother.

I've had people ride the fork around and they've been impressed.

*My only concern was for oil changes, I forgot to ask how to get the low friction additive. But I'll probably just bring it to Santi. Of course 888s don't need as much maintenance as everything else so this isn't too big of an issue.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
2nded for the Works tune. in addition to changing the shim stack, Ronnie added 10ml of oil w/ their additive to each side of the fork. the fork was great before and but even moar better now.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
holy sh!t! $200?? they were charging $70 at the US Open. hopefully theyll be there again!
I may be wrong, I didn't pay that much. Like I said, Santiago is a friend of mine, but that's what I thought he said. But they also discount work/parts they do at the races.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Someone mentioned in another 888 thread that there are no differences between the 2010 and 2011 888 forks. The Marzocchi website is useless for this info. Can anyone confirm?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Someone mentioned in another 888 thread that there are no differences between the 2010 and 2011 888 forks. The Marzocchi website is useless for this info. Can anyone confirm?
i believe only difference is decals and new adjuster knobs

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011

internally they should be the same.

the 2011 models have different dials on them though and i believe internal butting instead of the external butting the evo TI has now.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Thx for all the feedback. I'm seriously considering a second-hand 2010 888 evo ti. Torn between that and a new R2C2.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
honestly, they are both great forks, but have a distinctly different feel to them, they ride so different that you really should try each before making up your mind.