Quantcast

Bike rack (GTI)

ObeyMyFast!

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
San Diego
I have a 2009 GTI (MKV) and I also have a 2009 glory 0.

As many of you know, the GTI is a small car. Because of this, its very time consuming to get my 40 some-odd pound bike into the trunk/hatch.

I looked at a lot of the roof racks online, and found that they were pretty expensive (over $400). I also saw that there were some cheaper models that would hang off the hatch of my car. Now, my question is if the ones that hang off the hatch will be able to support my heavy beast. :confused:

Any tips would be great. Whats the best setup to use?

Thanks all. (sorry if this is a repost :()

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I would suck it up and spend the money on a roof rack... prolly the 400 range and get a thule Sidearm.

or get a thule hitch rack....

however I will never ever run Thule towers or bars, but the rack system (that they bought off of Sportworks) is the BEST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :)

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
1. Go to U-haul
2. Pay them to weld on an 1-1/8 reciever hitch (around $100)
3. Purchase Thule T2 rear rack
4. Install rack on car
5. Install bike on rack
6. Drive to riding destination
7. Enjoy

-KT

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have a hitch on my camry with a rack from 1upusa.com. The hitch I got just bolted on. Definitely the way to go with a hitch.

ObeyMyFast!

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
San Diego
Well... heres another thing, I'm into the car scene as well, and my car is prettty low. Not sure how it would work out/look with a hitch. I'll think about it though. Keep the tips coming!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, you would probably need a roof rack. The 1up rack is really close to the car and angled, so it would definitely have the most clearance for a car. I had a Thule and sold it because it scraped everywhere I went. I would think those hatch racks would scratch up your car.

ObeyMyFast!

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
San Diego
Yea, you would probably need a roof rack. The 1up rack is really close to the car and angled, so it would definitely have the most clearance for a car. I had a Thule and sold it because it scraped everywhere I went. I would think those hatch racks would scratch up your car.
I was thinking about scratches too.

I think I might have to go with the VW roof rack.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You need to suck it up and drop the money on a roof rack. With a low car, it really is the only way. Either that, or buy a beater truck.
Maybe with a dropped car, with chopped springs, and maybe if you think those hidden-hitches are a great idea (because often they are not, they make your rack even lower to the ground).

With my WRX, a T2 works great. I have the OEM towbar, but you can't see it from any angle except the rear, and when the rack is removed there is nothing that sticks out, if anything it just looks like part of the car's structure.

Roof racks where the only logical choice 10 years ago, when all the hitch-racks sucked, where the bikes "hung" from the top, swayed all around, where they limited rear hatch/trunk access, and so on. These days you can have your cake and eat it too. You can remove a hitch rack when you are not usnig it for a while, whereas a roof rack ALWAYS costs you $$$ due to drag, you will have to lift your heavy DH rig above your head and put it on top of your car, which is a PITA and affects handling of your car more (higher CG), and so on. Yes, there still are some situations where having a roof-rack is nice and does make sense, especially if you want to carry more than two bikes, but modern hitch racks kick ass, are easy to use, can be taken off easy, there really aren't any downsides.

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I was thinking about scratches too.

I think I might have to go with the VW roof rack.

Thanks everyone
my only complaint when I went from the my Mk4 GLI to my Mk5 is the roof rack setup. The Mk4 setup was pretty slick, but the Mk5 went back to using pieces of metal to grip arounf the door jams.
I use Yakima Towers on my Mk5 and they mount exactly the same as VW's towers.
The roof rack will effect your highway mileage, but only slightly when there's no bikes, and it wont effect town driving. So unless you're hours away from your favorite riding destination its not a big deal.
Don't cheap out on a strap-on rack. Waste of time.........and they can mark up your car.

ObeyMyFast!

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
San Diego
my only complaint when I went from the my Mk4 GLI to my Mk5 is the roof rack setup. The Mk4 setup was pretty slick, but the Mk5 went back to using pieces of metal to grip arounf the door jams.
I use Yakima Towers on my Mk5 and they mount exactly the same as VW's towers.
The roof rack will effect your highway mileage, but only slightly when there's no bikes, and it wont effect town driving. So unless you're hours away from your favorite riding destination its not a big deal.
Don't cheap out on a strap-on rack. Waste of time.........and they can mark up your car.
Wonderful. Thanks!

(anything against the VW towers?)

Turbo302

Chimp
Sep 13, 2008
Queens NY
I dont think the hitch will hang lower than your muffler. I have a civic and have installed hitch made by hidden hitch. It's a simple install.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have a hitch on my Mk5 with H&R sport springs fitted and it works just fine. Sure on some kerbs and driveways you'll need to be careful but it's not too much to worry about considering having the bikes on a hitch rack are better for fuel consumption and ease of loading.

Prior to the hitch I had a VW roof bar set up with a pair of Yakima Cobra's. It's a good set up for sure. I switched to the hitch when I did a road trip with two others to Tahoe. I needed the roof bars to put a ski box up top for the extra luggage space. The convenience of the hitch rack is hard to beat, plus when it's raining and the bike is muddy it prevents you getting mud all over the roof of your car.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've had 2 T2 racks, a 2" one and the 1 1/4" one. The 2" was obviously more stable, but the smaller one is still good.

I had mine mounted to a 2000 Hyundai Sonata. U-Haul hitch, I installed it myself, really easy. The hitch was fine, but the rack would scrape quite often pulling in and out of parking lots or large speed bumps. Just had to remember to go really slow, it was usually fine.

If you have the cash, I'd opt for the NS Rack myself.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I've got a hidden hitch and Thule T2 on my Speed3, haven't had any issues. Plus, it's super easy to take off in the winter when i'm not hauling bikes around.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I put a hitch on my MKVI GTI because I'm really short and lifting the bike on the roof is difficult, and now I won't have to bum rides everytime I ride my dirt bike with my friends.

It was very low to the ground at first, so I took a riser receiver and welded the 2" piece from an adapter to it. Works pretty well, looks silly but it works.

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
i've got an R32 and i run the roof option. rear bumper is too big to do a hitch. i had some bars and got the foot kit at ems. shelled out for a new side arm but found an earlier version (made by sportworks) free from a neighbor. all in all i was in it for like 200 bucks or so. check craigslist, ebay, etc... the stuff is out there.

here is my set up on my old R32.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I've got a Jetta and have a Thule roof system with Sidearms racks that works great. I also have a hitch on it with a Hollywood tray rack. It scraps on sharp inclines. If you go with a hitch make sure it tucks up to the bumper tight. That's the key to the hitch variety. Mine doesn't but I only use it for shuttling.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yeah... If you're into the scene, a hitch rack is out. I think that roof racks (bike rack) look cool on GTIs. But, cuts into your mpg as well. Plus, most guys into Dubs would only want the luggage basket style rack that seems to be so popular for them right now.

That being said, did anyone mention THIS rack yet? The Thule Raceway Platform trunk mount rack. Stable platform for your heavy DH rig. AND, completely gone for your daily Dub driving... to be seen in the Scene.... :thumb:

Think it goes for around $250

Good photos of it on a more "upright" style hatch car HERE: (Although not comparing a GTI to a Cube by any means) Scroll down....

http://blogs.bikemag.com/news/the-double-down-two-day-interbike-download/

http://www.bikeman.com/AR2782.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Try and get a hitch rack, The roof rack feet on my jetta have scratched the paint and I have slipped and drug my 50lb DH bike on the door etc...

If I could find someone to make a custom hitch for me I would, then I could buy a T2 or North Shore rack and go rear mount, I also commute 30miles per day and take off my roof rack to save milage, which is a pain in the neck.

check this out:VW Hidden Hitch and Another

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a hidden hitch and Thule T2 on my Speed3, haven't had any issues. Plus, it's super easy to take off in the winter when i'm not hauling bikes around.

I've got the same set up on my WRX hatch. We should race.

I had a roof rack previously on my Mazda3, and put one on the WRX initially, but it totally defeated the purpose of having my sunroof.

Hitch rack all the way.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Wonderful. Thanks!

(anything against the VW towers?)

nope.......VW towers work just as well, and Yakima bike carriers will work on them. VW's towers use square bars VS Yakima's round bars but the Yakima mounting pieces hace a wedge that can be cut out to work with square bars.

Another downside to hitch racks is that all the spray from the car (in the rain) pounds your bike with a million PSI. This quickly destroys bearings. I did a roadtrip with a friend last year and a 3 hour drive in the rain toasted the bearings in my front hub.