Quantcast

Bike lights.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I've never ordered through Deal Extreme -- how long will that pricing structure be around?

Thanks!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
i have all my stuff off dealextreme too. shipping takes forever but you can find tons of stuff on the cheap. i have two flashlights, one on the head, one on the bars as my set up. the weight isn't too much of an issue on the head if you get a light enough light. lately i have been running bars only. sucks on the twisty stuff a little but i get by with it.
I second the DealExtreme way of doing it. The lights are DIRT cheap (like $30 or so) but they use the same exact LED's as all the big-brands (sometimes even better). You can even see what BIN your lights are. Some of the other "bike light" mfg's will jsut say something like "high quality LED's". WHICH ones though? XPG's? P7's? MCE? XML? And what bin #?

With the deal extreme ones you can get EXACTLY what you want, get it cheap... and when a better LED comes out next year upgrading is no problem bc you didnt drop all that coin.

They all use the 18650 Li Ion batteries which again are super cheap. Ever tried to replace a battery pack for a Nightrider or Newt, or whatever? How much? $50 Minimum I would imagine. I can get extra 18650's for $5. Doing a 24hr race? Well bring along 10 of them. No need to re-charge the entire night. Yes, some torches will only last 1hr on high with one battery. That has never been an issue for me though. I only keep it on high for the descent (about 5-10min). The rest of the time I have it on low. I dont need to see that I have another mile to go on the steep climb. I'd rather focus on cleaning the 20 feet in front of me. And I'm out here to NIGHT ride. Don't need it to be friggin daylight out.

So overall, I use one "flood" on the bars in a medium size. Either a P7, or brighter... Then I use a tiny "spot" on the helmet. Heat can be an issue when you use a tiny helmet light with a big MC-E (m-bin) or XML, but I'm going about 20mph and it is only on for a few min, so no big deal.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
I've never ordered through Deal Extreme -- how long will that pricing structure be around?

Thanks!
things change on the site quite a bit whenever i take a look (the stuff i got isn't available), but it's usually just the names of stuff that changes. FYI - shipping does take a while with D.E., and you are in the dark for where you are in transit time most of the time.

So overall, I use one "flood" on the bars in a medium size. Either a P7, or brighter... Then I use a tiny "spot" on the helmet. Heat can be an issue when you use a tiny helmet light with a big MC-E (m-bin) or XML, but I'm going about 20mph and it is only on for a few min, so no big deal.
sounds like we have a very similar set up. for the price i paid i'm real psyched with how my set up works.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
sounds like we have a very similar set up. for the price i paid i'm real psyched with how my set up works.
Seriously!! I use these for everything. Want to check out that critter up in the tree in your back-yard? Want to advertise the grand opening of your new man-cave? Want to strap one of these on your side-arm and blast away at targets across the field in the dead of night? Want to blind the intruder that just broke into your house?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I second the DealExtreme way of doing it. The lights are DIRT cheap (like $30 or so) but they use the same exact LED's as all the big-brands (sometimes even better). You can even see what BIN your lights are. Some of the other "bike light" mfg's will jsut say something like "high quality LED's". WHICH ones though? XPG's? P7's? MCE? XML? And what bin #?

With the deal extreme ones you can get EXACTLY what you want, get it cheap... and when a better LED comes out next year upgrading is no problem bc you didnt drop all that coin.

They all use the 18650 Li Ion batteries which again are super cheap. Ever tried to replace a battery pack for a Nightrider or Newt, or whatever? How much? $50 Minimum I would imagine. I can get extra 18650's for $5. Doing a 24hr race? Well bring along 10 of them. No need to re-charge the entire night. Yes, some torches will only last 1hr on high with one battery. That has never been an issue for me though. I only keep it on high for the descent (about 5-10min). The rest of the time I have it on low. I dont need to see that I have another mile to go on the steep climb. I'd rather focus on cleaning the 20 feet in front of me. And I'm out here to NIGHT ride. Don't need it to be friggin daylight out.

If you go to any race where the Niterider demo van is Derek or Eric or whatever his name is will service your light and battery for free. We gave him Hamburgers and Beer to service all our lights.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Get your $50 MagicShine knockoffs http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-900182734?r=88054654

Legit site, I buy from DealExtreme all the time. This particular product is stocked in their US Warehouse so no waiting 3 weeks for this one.

One for the bars and one for the helmet.

I bought one to test and it works pretty good!
Thanks for the heads-up, grabbed a set to see how they work and will definitely keep an eye on the heat issues. I figure that for $45 for a Li-Ion battery and a 900-1200 (tested around 850?) Lumen light set it's worth the gamble. I'll just be using them for commuting, so it's not *that* imperative that they're top of the line.
Holy poop this thing is bright. Received it today (great job on shipping, USPS!!) and the build quality looks pretty solid, although the mounting system appears more geared towards commuting than mtn biking. The rubber O-rings should hold it in place pretty well as long as you're just commuting/riding on the road, but I can't imagine it working (at all) on a mtn bike. There's also no way to (easily) connect it to a helmet unless you have a horizontal cross-piece in the center of your helmet. The specs on the website are also wrong, as it's not an 8.4v battery but rather a 7.4v (says so on the battery), max is 900 as stated on the box (not 900-1200 on the website), and if this battery pack is waterproof I'll eat it... Thin plastic covering 4 sides of the rectangle with the top/bottom exposed cardboard/paper.

All of that being said, it's an extremely bright light that was only $45 (shipped, no taxes). Seems like the perfect commuting light.

VRdublove

Chimp
Dec 28, 2011
Asheville, NC
I ride with a Exposure MaxxD MK3 and I absolutely love it. The biggest benefit with the Exposure lights is that the battery is self-contained in the light, so there's no bulky exterior battery. Also, 3 hours runtime at 1200 lumens on high. 12 hours at 900 lumens! And no external battery.

One other cool thing about them for commuting is that a rear facing LED can be added and run off the main light.

Here's a pic: exposure-maxx-d-mk4-front-light.jpg

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
although the mounting system appears more geared towards commuting than mtn biking. The rubber O-rings should hold it in place pretty well as long as you're just commuting/riding on the road, but I can't imagine it working (at all) on a mtn bike. There's also no way to (easily) connect it to a helmet unless you have a horizontal cross-piece in the center of your helmet.
I have 2 of the Magicshine's, and the O-ring's hold the lights in place on my helmet and bars in technical trail riding and off drops w/o an issue. It's not the best system evah, but it works well.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
NiteRider traded in my old Evolution Smart for a Minewt. Bright as the mid day sun. Haven't ridden with it yet due to ice and snow on the roads so I'll reserve judgment. Again, props to niterider for customer service, but this new light had better hold up a lot better than my Evolution or I'm going to somebody else for my next light.

splat

Nam I am
There's also no way to (easily) connect it to a helmet unless you have a horizontal cross-piece in the center of your helmet. The specs on the website are also wrong, as it's not an 8.4v battery but rather a 7.4v (says so on the battery), max is 900 as stated on the box (not 900-1200 on the website), and if this battery pack is waterproof I'll eat it... Thin plastic covering 4 sides of the rectangle with the top/bottom exposed cardboard/paper.

All of that being said, it's an extremely bright light that was only $45 (shipped, no taxes). Seems like the perfect commuting light.

Here is the Helmet Mount

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/velcro-binding-band-for-sku-29489-30864-35cm-32754 ( $3.25 )

and here are some spare O-rings.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/water-tight-silicone-o-ring-seal-for-sku-29489-30864-2-pack-32750

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
only the Piko.the Betty and Wilma are our display products so i dont want to take them out. i could imagine they are like car HID's for a bike
I ride with a Betty 1750 on the bars and Tesla 700 on the helmet. And when you cross the beams of the Tesla and Betty, the Tesla's light is almost completely washed out. Not to discount the Tesla, the beam pattern is awesome, very "spot" like and compliments the Betty's "wide" beam very well.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
you never cross the beams!

id love to try a Lupine Betty but i could never see myself buying a $900+ bike light
Guess I opened myself up for that one. Well played sir.

I didn't have to pay for any of my lights. But I can see how the price could put a lot of people off. However, my set up, pretty much lets me ride the same day or night.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I didn't have to pay for any of my lights. But I can see how the price could put a lot of people off. However, my set up, pretty much lets me ride the same day or night.
gretna bikes rider im guessing?
i have no doubt about the quality and power of Lupine's lights but everything but the Piko is a ton of money