Quantcast

BCD

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Funny, my wife sent me this video to watch last Thursday. Cool how he's ended up living his life.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Helping a buddy re-build Kyle’s (rip) BCD this summer.
Anyone have a spare King Perdido upper? Rarer than rare at this point.
hmm. I gave him that frame to restore. I could have sworn the HS top was included, but will dig through my bin to see if I still have it!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I thought those BCD frames were so cool back in the day. Wouldn’t need much to have those Inedible bikes looking current.

really happy he’s still making a life with bikes at the core of it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
yeah, in case you haven’t been on Ridemonkey for 20 years(gulp), and are unfamiliar familiar with Evil/e.13 history- Kyle was a big personality here, a wonderful human, a team badass taken before his time. One of his old team mechanics is building up his last race bike as a time capsule. It’s definitely not getting flipped, or ridden.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That is a Happy Man,found his Zen if you will. Not Easy todo if you ask me. I am trying to get there myself. Funny how Easy it is for One to know he is Not there,but so Hard to Get there. A Shack for a House,a old trusty truck,a Wife,his Dog and Goats with Lord knows how much Land? Fucking Beautiful,they are Happy,but more important tome is they are Content. It is Hard tobe Content.

Now if you Guy’s could help me on a few questions I have on his Cross Bike. I have never had a Cross,Love um though.

I noticed no Dropper on his Post.( Sick Braaap Sticker on His).
Do the Pro’s use a Dropper?Like the XC Boy’s do?
Is it a Standard option on current CrossBikes for Sale?

That cockpit was Sick,but confusing tome.The Frame went from Fat Lower Internal Headset,to Skinny Top?
The Stem was Taller than anything I have seen? Was it 1”1/8 setup? WTB was the Stem or Bar?

The Fork I just saw a review with that YouTube HardTail Guy. Interesting Sick Fork. It uses thin little pieces of plastic basically for movement if you will. I Love his setup.

Is the Cross Market going Squish Front End? Or he just a Pimp!

I thought Cross was like Road,never squish in the Front?

Last,so he is sponsored by Shimano? How is that may I ask? It’s wonderful,I Love Shimy,just wondering?

Thank You for you’re time.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
That is a Happy Man,found his Zen if you will. Not Easy todo if you ask me. I am trying to get there myself. Funny how Easy it is for One to know he is Not there,but so Hard to Get there. A Shack for a House,a old trusty truck,a Wife,his Dog and Goats with Lord knows how much Land? Fucking Beautiful,they are Happy,but more important tome is they are Content. It is Hard tobe Content.

Now if you Guy’s could help me on a few questions I have on his Cross Bike. I have never had a Cross,Love um though.

I noticed no Dropper on his Post.( Sick Braaap Sticker on His).
Do the Pro’s use a Dropper?Like the XC Boy’s do?
Is it a Standard option on current CrossBikes for Sale?

That cockpit was Sick,but confusing tome.The Frame went from Fat Lower Internal Headset,to Skinny Top?
The Stem was Taller than anything I have seen? Was it 1”1/8 setup? WTB was the Stem or Bar?

The Fork I just saw a review with that YouTube HardTail Guy. Interesting Sick Fork. It uses thin little pieces of plastic basically for movement if you will. I Love his setup.

Is the Cross Market going Squish Front End? Or he just a Pimp!

I thought Cross was like Road,never squish in the Front?

Last,so he is sponsored by Shimano? How is that may I ask? It’s wonderful,I Love Shimy,just wondering?

Thank You for you’re time.

Avy
fork is a lauf, frame is a ritchey ascent or Timberwolf. Stem is a “limpdick” stem, popular amongst people who use drop bars off-road, for the reasons he mentions; raises the bars and brings them closer to the rider, so you can be in the drops and not be horribly stretched out over the front.
He could definitely run a dropper on that frame, but it looks like he just doesn’t need it on the rides he’s doing. Plenty of gravel bikes are coming with droppers these days, so the options are there.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
May I ask how? Regarding Kyle?

Avy
long story slightly shorter.

this particular frame was custom built for Jeff Brines (former poster here, ex Vital reviewer) at a longer 24” top tube.

after racing it for a season, he traded it to Kyle/SSaddict (also poster here and MTBR) who also raced on the E13/evil team.

the bike was stolen from Kyle, who had a really bad crash at a race, and passed shortly there after (lots of threads here and mtbr).

with the help of Kyle’s family, Jeff was able to eventually recover the frame and a few parts. Jeff really wanted the bike to keep getting ridden, and donated it to me to rebuild and get people on - which I did.

unfortunatley, I needed to harvest a bunch of parts over the years and I don’t have the means to rebuilt it correctly.

jon Kranked was able to connect me with Rich, who is an OG e13 dude and mechanic for the BCD race team. He is working to rebuild the bike to original team spec.

punchline is I don’t blame you for asking, but I don’t think this particular bike will ever get passed on.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
fork is a lauf, frame is a ritchey ascent or Timberwolf. Stem is a “limpdick” stem, popular amongst people who use drop bars off-road, for the reasons he mentions; raises the bars and brings them closer to the rider, so you can be in the drops and not be horribly stretched out over the front.
He could definitely run a dropper on that frame, but it looks like he just doesn’t need it on the rides he’s doing. Plenty of gravel bikes are coming with droppers these days, so the options are there.
Check,so it is a XC bike converted to CX,hence the lauf.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That's not a "cross" setup and Pro's don't use a dropper in CX.

That front fork is probably a Lauf.

Thank You. I am surprised the Pro CX guys don’t use a dropper. I guess it is not the same terrain as XC though,more rolls.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Check,so it is a XC bike converted to CX,hence the lauf.

Avy
The need to compartmentalise every bike is very unnecessary. It’s what would have been called an ATB back in the day, could fit under a number of banners that exist at the moment.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The need to compartmentalise every bike is very unnecessary. It’s what would have been called an ATB back in the day, could fit under a number of banners that exist at the moment.
Easy Tiger,I’m gettin school’ed up in this mother fucka! If I don’t know,I won’t act like I do. The Beauty is,there is a Monkey who does. Avy know’s what a ATB is. My 84 Fisher Montana said so. Stop with this compartmentalise,what are from mtbr? A CrossBike is not some dumb ass GravelBike,it is a CrossBike. That is what us older folk call it. Road is Road,then we had the Stardard XC for years,then FreeRide,and Finally we had Proper DH. Now we have other Bikes, but some things Will Never Change Brother.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Easy Tiger,I’m gettin school’ed up in this mother fucka! If I don’t know,I won’t act like I do. The Beauty is,there is a Monkey who does. Avy know’s what a ATB is. My 84 Fisher Montana said so. Stop with this compartmentalise,what are from mtbr? A CrossBike is not some dumb ass GravelBike,it is a CrossBike. That is what us older folk call it. Road is Road,then we had the Stardard XC for years,then FreeRide,and Finally we had Proper DH. Now we have other Bikes, but some things Will Never Change Brother.

Avy
bike types that 2022 bike Marketers would sell you the above bike as:

off road tourer
Rugged road
Gravel
Drop bar dirt tourer
Monstercross
Xc
Xc trail
Hillbike

all I was saying is there’s too many sub categories out there. Alex isn’t racing this thing, so it doesn’t need to fit in to a neat UCI category, and it doesn’t need to fit under a catchy marketing term.

If anything CX is one of the few bikes that this couldn’t be marketed as as the tyres are too wide for racing (as stipulated by everyone favourites, the UCI). See what I mean that compartmentalising and categorising is bad?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
don't hold your breath. too much sentimental value on this bike.
Yeah Alex never made many of them sadly and he stopped making them as I was trying to get them at the time. Least I still have the Lahar.

Would love to still get one though.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

this particular frame was custom built for Jeff Brines (former poster here, ex Vital reviewer) at a longer 24” top tube.

after racing it for a season, he traded it to Kyle/SSaddict (also poster here and MTBR) who also raced on the E13/evil team.

the bike was stolen from Kyle, who had a really bad crash at a race, and passed shortly there after (lots of threads here and mtbr).

with the help of Kyle’s family, Jeff was able to eventually recover the frame and a few parts. Jeff really wanted the bike to keep getting ridden, and donated it to me to rebuild and get people on - which I did.

unfortunatley, I needed to harvest a bunch of parts over the years and I don’t have the means to rebuilt it correctly.

jon Kranked was able to connect me with Rich, who is an OG e13 dude and mechanic for the BCD race team. He is working to rebuild the bike to original team spec.

punchline is I don’t blame you for asking, but I don’t think this particular bike will ever get passed on.
Thank You. I went back in time and read. I remember SS posts very well. It was crazy for me back then,I did not hear of it. I Always remember Handles that I Love,even if they make no sense tome. I’m glad you stuck through it till the end. For you to type that 1 sentence,about harvesting parts,took guts. Thank You,and May we build Kyle’s Bike. What can we do to help? You,and those building this bike,must give us something todo to Help.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
bike types that 2022 bike Marketers would sell you the above bike as:

off road tourer
Rugged road
Gravel
Drop bar dirt tourer
Monstercross
Xc
Xc trail
Hillbike

all I was saying is there’s too many sub categories out there. Alex isn’t racing this thing, so it doesn’t need to fit in to a neat UCI category, and it doesn’t need to fit under a catchy marketing term.

If anything CX is one of the few bikes that this couldn’t be marketed as as the tyres are too wide for racing (as stipulated by everyone favourites, the UCI). See what I mean that compartmentalising and categorising is bad?
So you are saying UCI created these? So what is it you want the Bike World todo? Start over On calling a Bike what it is? It is the Only thing in the Bike World that makes any sense.

Avy

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

*sigh*

fuckin kyle

I would run into that dude at bootleg canyon races and we'd laugh about ridemonkey and talk about alex's weird looking handprints on his bike.

I gotta wonder what would have happened with modern day helmets. Those symptoms he posted about here shortly before his death were agony. All the shit we know about TBIs now.

Poor guy was like 25

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Alex did change his name here, to something with greek letters in it that aren’t on my keyboard. Search for Rallysmurf in the searchbox and you will find ye olde account.

Some good news: King(go King!)is willing to make some fresh pieces for the headset- but if either previous custodian happens to still have the perdido topcap, or a crown race, well, that would be lovely!