Quantcast

Banshee Legend MKII Owners What Axle Are You Using

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Ok as he title suggests. It comes with a Maxle. I would feel more comfortable using that as a paper weight and getting a 12mm Axle like an Azonic, Hadley etc.

So what are you using on your Legend's the Maxle or did you swap it out?

IggyS

Chimp
Aug 31, 2010
Santa Cruz
I run a DT 440 so the Maxle is just fine....

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to run a Hope Pro2

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The DHR is billed as Maxle compatible, but doesn't come with one, so I'd assume a Turner axle would work. That's pure e-spec on my end though.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Are Maxles prone to loosening once properly tightened or breaking? Besides not getting along with Hope hubs what's their problem?
I often wish my DH bike had Maxles. I have to use 7 bolts to put my bike in a car or swap to race wheels.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I run a DT 440 so the Maxle is just fine....

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to run a Hope Pro2
Er, I've seen exactly that hub snap its axle on exactly that bike using exactly that Maxle. Just ask Floor Tom.

I drilled out my frame with a 12mm drill bit and slapped a normal 12mm alloy axle through there. It has a nylock nut on the end. It doesn't come loose, it doesn't weigh much, it doesn't screw my hub up, it doesn't cost much, it doesn't snap. Basically, it succeeds in all the ways the Maxle fails. It's also just as quick to remove, neglecting the time it takes to actually get a spanner out.

The rear Maxle, as it stands now, should be discontinued. It is THE crappest bicycle product on the market in my opinion.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never had a bike with a rear Maxle, but the fronts I've had have been trouble free.

IggyS

Chimp
Aug 31, 2010
Santa Cruz
...... okayyyy then I guess you can go ahead and drill through your 3g frame if you'd be so inclined....

I rode Whistler for 22 days and I didn't touch my Maxle once.
No problems. 440 hub sits on its own axle so I have no idea how you broke one, must be some hack accident.

Turner axle is also milled in the same way as the Maxle so that wouldn't be much of an upgrade....

Keith is making a Ti axle that isn't milled down for the bike and it should be available fairly soon so if you can manage waiting for that I'd reckon it's your best bet.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
My Maxle has been flawless. The old maxle was a little harder to set up (you need to thread it in again after you clamped it down to get it tight - oh the horror) but the maxle lite i have now is much simpler, very light and no problems. On an I9 Hub.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
...... okayyyy then I guess you can go ahead and drill through your 3g frame if you'd be so inclined....

No problems. 440 hub sits on its own axle so I have no idea how you broke one, must be some hack accident.

Turner axle is also milled in the same way as the Maxle so that wouldn't be much of an upgrade....

Keith is making a Ti axle that isn't milled down for the bike and it should be available fairly soon so if you can manage waiting for that I'd reckon it's your best bet.
Hack accident?? I don't know a single rear hub that doesn't sit on it's own axle. The 440 has the same 2mm wall axle that a Pro 2 has, it will have the same problem.

You don't have to drill out your drop out like socket did if you can get an axle with a 1.75mm pitch thread. Turner have stock of the old axle without the step which I'm sure they'd sell you.

Oct 29, 2009
We have been using maxles all season. Not super impressed as we've broken a handful - either the handle will shear off or the axle will snap into two pieces...

Please let us know if you find a more reliable solution. :thumb:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Hack accident?? I don't know a single rear hub that doesn't sit on it's own axle. The 440 has the same 2mm wall axle that a Pro 2 has, it will have the same problem.
We have been using maxles all season. Not super impressed as we've broken a handful - either the handle will shear off or the axle will snap into two pieces...

Please let us know if you find a more reliable solution. :thumb:
Yep, clearly hack accidents are to blame, not completely **** design.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
in the future there will be Banshee custom titanium axles as standard with legend and scythe frames... and also avaliable after market to fit any maxle compatible frame. Early protos suggest a weight saving of about 10g over maxle light, and they will be about 8 times stronger and no taper in mid span so support hub body better.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
in the future there will be Banshee custom titanium axles as standard with legend and scythe frames... and also avaliable after market to fit any maxle compatible frame. Early protos suggest a weight saving of about 10g over maxle light, and they will be about 8 times stronger and no taper in mid span so support hub body better.
Keith you never stop to suprise me. I know there may be cheaper options but I like such touches. Great job.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Next production run is almost finished already... alxes need a bit more testing. We don't believe in releasing products without real world testing even if all computer and machine testing says they will be fine. this will probably be a running change mid next year... depends how testing goes.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply! I've been beating the crap out of the Maxle on my other bike (Saint hubs) with no problems so I don't expect any surprises. A Ti axle sounds tits though!

Can't wait to hit Mach Snot on the Legend!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
My Devinci Wilson is also Maxle compatible, but comes with a solid threaded axle. The best way to verify if it fits the Legend is call Freeborn in the UK, as they carry both brands and can also supply the axle.