Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Eventually my Audi and my 74 International Truck are both gonna have stainless steel lines all around. Sick ass job your buddy did there.
74 international huh?? :picsstfu:

the stainless lines clean up a engine bay a lot IMO, especially with AN fittings.
the car is pretty insane and its his third engine in less than 5 years. it keeps getting bigger and bigger and the power keeps getting crazier and crazier.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I tried the same thing.... Same car as you... Passat V6 4Motion Wagon.... no dice for me either... She wouldn't even look at the computer screen when I built one up online...
Her loss... I love my wife's Passat 6cl AWD... we have the sedan though.
If they did the new ones with the wagon option (and the awd and the 6 cyl) then I would push her that way, but no... she has her mind set on the bimmer. Of course we can't afford that right now, so we will probably wait till my truck is paid off in about a year before pulling the trigger. :triniti:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Damn Ken Block be careful with your Tokyo drifts out there.

I've also got a 400+ hp AWD car that's fun but I rarely get the chance to open it up.
Drift, no.
2-3 foot slider while pointed the right direction, yes.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Her loss... I love my wife's Passat 6cl AWD... we have the sedan though.
If they did the new ones with the wagon option (and the awd and the 6 cyl) then I would push her that way, but no... she has her mind set on the bimmer. Of course we can't afford that right now, so we will probably wait till my truck is paid off in about a year before pulling the trigger. :triniti:
Have her drive the new Forester XT. It's got the power (notably so) of an X5 and the interior quality is just a notch below. The Limited package has the full leather, heated seats, GPS, gigantic sunroof, etc. Wife was insistant on getting an BMW until I made her go back to back at the Autoshow between the two cars and she saw the quality difference. To get the full package on the BMW, you are looking at a 60k car vs a $32k all-in Subaru that will be cheaper to repair and probably last longer. It also has a top 5* safety rating, and has for the last 5 years for their entire lineup. That say something about their cars.
Plus the re-sale value stays very high. We went new because the used only was a 5% discount, even with 20k+ miles. You can spin it as a, how are we going to pay for jewelry, clothes, kids education, etc. It was a pretty easy sale after that and a test drive. Guts and quality are far superior arguments than labels. It helps to guilt her into, do you want the appearance of having money, or to actually have money? Ask her where she wants to retire, then do some time value of money calcs on the spread, and bring up a higher quality, longer retirement.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
We were looking for a used (2008) which was also about $32. Plus, you have a very rational arguement... Wife's car preference is not a rational decision though.

That would be like me trying to convince you that the Ironhorse DW link bikes are just as good as the Turners, or a Yeti.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
It was a pretty easy sale after that and a test drive. Guts and quality are far superior arguments than labels. It helps to guilt her into, do you want the appearance of having money, or to actually have money? Ask her where she wants to retire, then do some time value of money calcs on the spread, and bring up a higher quality, longer retirement.

As far as this part of the arguement, the fact that the costs are about the same negates a lot of this... and even if they both have the quality to last the same length, her interest in KEEPING them the same length of time will differ. With the Subie she will want a new car in about 6-7 years... with the 535 I can convince her to keep it at least 10 yrs.

We kept her current car a little over 8 years.

Plus, she doesn't really care about the performance of the vehicle (engine, hp etc) For her it is all about the included GPS, bluetooth, heated seats, power everything etc.

Trust me though, I've been trying to talk her into a Subie for a LONG time. More the Outback though.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As far as this part of the arguement, the fact that the costs are about the same negates a lot of this... and even if they both have the quality to last the same length, her interest in KEEPING them the same length of time will differ. With the Subie she will want a new car in about 6-7 years... with the 535 I can convince her to keep it at least 10 yrs.

We kept her current car a little over 8 years.

Plus, she doesn't really care about the performance of the vehicle (engine, hp etc) For her it is all about the included GPS, bluetooth, heated seats, power everything etc.

Trust me though, I've been trying to talk her into a Subie for a LONG time. More the Outback though.
Forester PZEV Limited. All the goods, no turbo. And why sell a car that will last longer earlier? I solved this problem by asking point blank, please detail the reasons 1 by 1 for why the BMW is better than the Subie. And provide factual bases for the arguments.
When she itemized (because she really wanted a new car), she realized that she was only wanting it for the brand, and that the subie was the better car.
But then again, I'm a dick.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
NA cars do it with cubic-inches/liters. My car is 2.0 liters 270hp... no way you can do that NA and have it still drive well on the street.

Turbos are great IMHO. And I'm an old school V8 fan.
:stupid:

My plan for the stage 1 truck motor is to rebuild the 327 to 350hp spec with low comp pistons and run turbo setup. Easy 450hp+ with a 6500 red line and very streetable.

Turbos can make a good engine better. I'm not a fan of juice, but I'm all for recycling. :D

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I drive into work every morning at 3:30am and the drive is a nice mix of properly banked on-ramps, wide and straight highway, winding over the mountain 4-lane highways, and city streets. One of the big upsides is because it is so early, the roads are empty and the cops are too busy pulling people over coming out of the City (drunks), that you effectively have an autobahn like drive. I get to use all four lanes to make large, wide winding turns into sweeping apex turns - practice for the track, if you will.

This morning we had a nice light rain going keep the roads perfectly slick, without being wet enough to form puddles. It was nice coming out of slow-mid speed corners and just pinning it to get a slight AWD controlled slide, allowing for a higher speed corner...
...it's been nice knowing you.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Go to the track, dont do it on public roads, thats just plain stupid.

I own an MY01 V7 STI. I lost my licence a year into ownership from demerit points. I dont drive fast anymore.

I suspect losing my licence may have saved my life and possibly the lives of others. Maybe you should lose yours?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Forester PZEV Limited. All the goods, no turbo. And why sell a car that will last longer earlier? I solved this problem by asking point blank, please detail the reasons 1 by 1 for why the BMW is better than the Subie. And provide factual bases for the arguments.
When she itemized (because she really wanted a new car), she realized that she was only wanting it for the brand, and that the subie was the better car.
But then again, I'm a dick.
LOL:thumb:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Props to Joker for doing something different. I've always been a fan of weird cars that you can make fast. Lesbo car or not, it's quick and different. My buddy that works for COBB has a black one that's pretty trick. I never thought I'd drive one until i rode in his. Mild mods and tune and that thing is surprisingly fast.
Joker, go autocrossing. That'll curve your appetite for driving crazy on public roads, even if it is early in the morning.

I can't really see anything bad with owning a modded out Forester. Hell, I drive a minivan with 19's on it.

Eclipses and Talons would be cool if they weren't understeering marvels. I actually used to have a Mitsu Galant VR4. That was a fun car. Mild mods, great for the STX class in SCCA. Those mitsu's just don't last long.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
this one time, in band camp, I drove my wrx sooo fast I was sliding sideways around a corner when a cop came around the next bend ahead. I jammed on the brakes, but that made the slide worserer. i hit a minivan whch burst into flames killing or horribly maiming the occupants (probably - I'll never know as I hit the rest button on my xbox at that point).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Anybody ever built up one of those things from Repo Men? Audi? VW? Saab? Can't remember but it looked like a rally version of a Toureg maybe?

Edit: Yup. Fuglier than I remember....

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anybody ever built up one of those things from Repo Men? Audi? VW? Saab? Can't remember but it looked like a rally version of a Toureg maybe?

Edit: Yup. Fuglier than I remember....

looks like a undriveable version of a Toureg. hopefully its on airbags and can be raised in the front

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
:stupid:

My plan for the stage 1 truck motor is to rebuild the 327 to 350hp spec with low comp pistons and run turbo setup. Easy 450hp+ with a 6500 red line and very streetable.

Turbos can make a good engine better. I'm not a fan of juice, but I'm all for recycling. :D
I'd probably run it a bit lower than you think on compression... like 8:1 or 8.5:1. Shoot for 250 to the wheels without the turbo. Then add a larger turbo that won't spool till high in the rev range. Basically makes a car that has just enough torque off the line that it can efficiently put it to the ground... but as the revs go up it starts to put more and more power down the car turns into a rocket ship... yet in normal driving conditions it'd be pretty tame.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
It's kind of like rubbin' one out, everyone does it but they don't post a thread on the intar-webs about it.

Where does the Bay Area crowd do their Rally-X at? The Oregon Rally Group has a ton of meets in the Portland area. The Pacific Rally Group has pretty much stopped having rally-x.

I would just get a beater and Rally-X that.

I want to be fast on dirt and hp just gets in the way of that. I know it's more about breaking and turning with skill than mashing the fun pedal but I always forget that when the starter lifts the flag. If I had 400hp I would just sit and bounce the engine off the rev limiter, finally get traction and some point and then miss a gate, hit two cones and then spin the car. Looking at the times from the higher HP cars at the last race they all seemed to have the same issue. Traction beats HP every time.

There is a Forester that the guy (Paul something) who runs Primative Racing School has had out that is quick on the dirt. I got a ride in it last year after a race and in the hands of super fast driver like him it is amazing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's kind of like rubbin' one out, everyone does it but they don't post a thread on the intar-webs about it.

Where does the Bay Area crowd do their Rally-X at? The Oregon Rally Group has a ton of meets in the Portland area. The Pacific Rally Group has pretty much stopped having rally-x.

I would just get a beater and Rally-X that.

I want to be fast on dirt and hp just gets in the way of that. I know it's more about breaking and turning with skill than mashing the fun pedal but I always forget that when the starter lifts the flag. If I had 400hp I would just sit and bounce the engine off the rev limiter, finally get traction and some point and then miss a gate, hit two cones and then spin the car. Looking at the times from the higher HP cars at the last race they all seemed to have the same issue. Traction beats HP every time.

There is a Forester that the guy (Paul something) who runs Primative Racing School has had out that is quick on the dirt. I got a ride in it last year after a race and in the hands of super fast driver like him it is amazing.
Unfortunately, I don't have the space for a rallyx beater. I will probably end up switching over to Swifts on Forester struts to lift it up a bit to provide clearance. I will be installing underbody plates once we have the chance to mock them up and build them. I'll probably end up getting a better set of all season/dirt tires for rallyx too, but that takes time and money.
I am also dropping my resonator back in, to bring back my torque.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Unfortunately, I don't have the space for a rallyx beater. I will probably end up switching over to Swifts on Forester struts to lift it up a bit to provide clearance. I will be installing underbody plates once we have the chance to mock them up and build them. I'll probably end up getting a better set of all season/dirt tires for rallyx too, but that takes time and money.
I am also dropping my resonator back in, to bring back my torque.
From tuning motorcycles, it's likely that you're just a bit lean in the midrange with the new pipe and need to adjust your fuel map. Backpressure is not necessary for torque unless the engine is tuned for backpressure. Why give away top end power when you could get both torque and hp?

Edit for evidence: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/sue462/backpressuretorquemyth.htm

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I would fall under the grandma driver ranking. I'm in the fast lane but im slower then the fastest guy there. I move over, hate cars tailgating. Love catching up at the next traffic light.